Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

 
Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

    
Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Banking, Insurance & Investments » ALPHA BANK Ä200 Maintenance Account Charges Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic  Reply to topic   View previous topic : View next topic 
 
Post: #21   PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Da Funk
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 124
Pictures: 0

 
Steve - SJD wrote:
Da Funk wrote:
nhowarth wrote:
Hi Da Funk

This is shocking! I suggest you report this to the Commissionner for Administration and Protection of Human Rights (Ombudsman).

Regards,


Thank you for the link Nigel, very shocking to say the least. I have put in a complaint to the link you provided. Hopefully other Alpha Bank customers can now do the same although I suspect a lot do not even know about this charges or realise that is a discrimination charge. This is what I wrote to them and I copied all email correspondence between myself and the bank.

Please read below, I would like to make an official complaint regarding my bank charging myself and other foreigners for
being born and living in another country. I know of no other bank in the world that does this and find this deeply offensive, morally wrong and frankly racist. Alpha bank is charging Ä200 to foreign nationals only and nothing to local Cypriots for the exact same bank account. Please see below the email exchange. I have all the original emails.


Da Funk - posted it to our Facebook groups the other day and no one
else has mentioned the charges - except for ones from the Hellenic bank.

One question though - on the Alpha Bank list of new charges it mentions
the charge of Ä50 per quarter but doesn't specify that it is for non-residents.
Is there anyone living in Cyprus that is being charged this fee or any fee
from Alpha??

Cheers

Steve


Hello Steve,

I copied and pasted word for word what I wrote and they wrote. They have admitted itís for foreigners only. I think Nigel found the link and section which he has posted below. Can you direct me to the Facebook section or page so I can have a look and/or add to it if need be please Steve?

Cheers
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel


Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

 
Post: #22   PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Da Funk
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 124
Pictures: 0

 
Steve - SJD wrote:
Da Funk wrote:
nhowarth wrote:
Hi Da Funk

This is shocking! I suggest you report this to the Commissionner for Administration and Protection of Human Rights (Ombudsman).

Regards,


Thank you for the link Nigel, very shocking to say the least. I have put in a complaint to the link you provided. Hopefully other Alpha Bank customers can now do the same although I suspect a lot do not even know about this charges or realise that is a discrimination charge. This is what I wrote to them and I copied all email correspondence between myself and the bank.

Please read below, I would like to make an official complaint regarding my bank charging myself and other foreigners for
being born and living in another country. I know of no other bank in the world that does this and find this deeply offensive, morally wrong and frankly racist. Alpha bank is charging Ä200 to foreign nationals only and nothing to local Cypriots for the exact same bank account. Please see below the email exchange. I have all the original emails.


Da Funk - posted it to our Facebook groups the other day and no one
else has mentioned the charges - except for ones from the Hellenic bank.

One question though - on the Alpha Bank list of new charges it mentions
the charge of Ä50 per quarter but doesn't specify that it is for non-residents.
Is there anyone living in Cyprus that is being charged this fee or any fee
from Alpha??

Cheers

Steve


Hello Steve,

I copied and pasted word for word what I wrote and they wrote. They have admitted itís for foreigners only. I think Nigel found the link and section which he has posted below. Can you direct me to the Facebook section or page so I can have a look and/or add to it if need be please Steve?

Cheers
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #23   PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Da Funk
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 124
Pictures: 0

 
nhowarth wrote:
Hi Da Funk

Have you thought about contacting the Cyprus Mail? They've run a number of articles about bank charges - https://cyprus-mail.com/old/tag/bank-charges/

Regards,


Hello Nigel,

Not sure where to start with contacting Cyprus Mail? I contacted the Cyprus Human rights link you sent me but had nothing back yet??
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #24   PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Da Funk
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 124
Pictures: 0

 
Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:
Don't take any notice of Blossom, Da Funk. She/he always makes such remarks to my posts. I don't think Blossom likes me. Crying or Very sad


Just trying to point out, be careful what you say about companies/ Businesses on forums.
they do sue people.


Well they would have hard time with that as Pat was talking about Alfa whereas Iím talking about another bank called Alpha 😜😉😂
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #25   PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 16 Jul 2005
Posts: 24941
Pictures: 55

 
Da Funk wrote:
Hello Steve,

I copied and pasted word for word what I wrote and they wrote. They have admitted itís for foreigners only. I think Nigel found the link and section which he has posted below. Can you direct me to the Facebook section or page so I can have a look and/or add to it if need be please Steve?

Cheers


Hi Da Funk - apologies for the delay but been away.

Yes I missed the heading on the charges .pdf but Nigel pointed me
in the right direction.

I don't disagree with you and wouldn't be happy if I was in the same
circumstances.

However, thinking about it later it may well be a bad business move but
am not sure whether it's illegal. It's not targeting a particular nationality
as they classify it as for International Customers which they may
technically be able to get away with.

I posted a link to this thread in our Facebook Group and Page - links in
the footer of this page.

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #26   PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:42 am Reply with quote
Da Funk
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 124
Pictures: 0

 
Steve - SJD wrote:
Da Funk wrote:
Hello Steve,

I copied and pasted word for word what I wrote and they wrote. They have admitted itís for foreigners only. I think Nigel found the link and section which he has posted below. Can you direct me to the Facebook section or page so I can have a look and/or add to it if need be please Steve?

Cheers


Hi Da Funk - apologies for the delay but been away.

Yes I missed the heading on the charges .pdf but Nigel pointed me
in the right direction.

I don't disagree with you and wouldn't be happy if I was in the same
circumstances.

However, thinking about it later it may well be a bad business move but
am not sure whether it's illegal. It's not targeting a particular nationality
as they classify it as for International Customers which they may
technically be able to get away with.

I posted a link to this thread in our Facebook Group and Page - links in
the footer of this page.

Cheers

Steve


Hello Steve,

I agree they have probably had there legal team look into this already. As I said in the emails back and forth to them though itís discrimination as itís exactly the same account as any other resident in Cyprus. Itís still the same staff and same processes that happen day in and day out. All of my bills come out off my account as a standing order or direct debit to pay all my bills like Cytanet, Electricity, Council Charges, once every quarter or so Iíll transfer from Foriegn Currency Direct anything between Ä3,000-Ä6000 to pay my bills. Everytime the money goes into my account they charge for that anyway. Thereís no extra work involved or justification for charging such a high amount and even if they were the point is it should be charged to everyone. Weíre in the EU now and I can bet thereís no other bank in the EU doing this or charging this.

Iím still hoping someone can recommend a bank who does not charge this. Iíve got 9 months left on my mortgage and Iíve had 14 years of difficult situations and frustration from Alpha/Emporiki over here to the point of Iím thinking of selling my property so I donít have to deal with there back to front policyís. There attitudes and actual service in the bank is atrocious.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #27   PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 16 Jul 2005
Posts: 24941
Pictures: 55

 
I was looking the other day for something else but found a handy Govt.
site that I had forgotten about. It lists the various charges the banks
make so that they can be compared with each other.

Unfortunately though it's in Greek but if you are prepared to put up
with the odd mistranslation then you can work it out using the link below.

It would seem that quite a few banks charge these international account fees
and a big difference in prices and i'll link to the page here:

Banks In Cyprus - Compare Fees - Accounts

HTH

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #28   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 am Reply with quote
Da Funk
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 124
Pictures: 0

 
Steve - SJD wrote:
I was looking the other day for something else but found a handy Govt.
site that I had forgotten about. It lists the various charges the banks
make so that they can be compared with each other.

Unfortunately though it's in Greek but if you are prepared to put up
with the odd mistranslation then you can work it out using the link below.

It would seem that quite a few banks charge these international account fees
and a big difference in prices and i'll link to the page here:

Banks In Cyprus - Compare Fees - Accounts

HTH

Cheers

Steve


Thanks Steve, quite a difference with the lowest and highest charges. Unfortunately as we all know they make it so difficult to open and close accounts and they know that. In the U.K. they literally pay you to move accounts and transfer everything over for you. To be honest itís the last straw for me after nearly 15 years of there BS. Iím already looking into selling my villa especially with the exchange rate. The next thing I need to look into is if they charge any large fees in the purchase and sale of a house ie if Ä250,000 goes into my cyprus account and then I want to transfer from my Alpha Bank account to my U.K. bank account how much would they want to charge for that.

Cheers
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel


Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

 
Post: #29   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:28 am Reply with quote
gazzaga
Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 137
Pictures: 0
Location: Limassol

 
Da Funk wrote:
Steve - SJD wrote:
I was looking the other day for something else but found a handy Govt.
site that I had forgotten about. It lists the various charges the banks
make so that they can be compared with each other.

Unfortunately though it's in Greek but if you are prepared to put up
with the odd mistranslation then you can work it out using the link below.

It would seem that quite a few banks charge these international account fees
and a big difference in prices and i'll link to the page here:

Banks In Cyprus - Compare Fees - Accounts

HTH

Cheers

Steve


Thanks Steve, quite a difference with the lowest and highest charges. Unfortunately as we all know they make it so difficult to open and close accounts and they know that. In the U.K. they literally pay you to move accounts and transfer everything over for you. To be honest itís the last straw for me after nearly 15 years of there BS. Iím already looking into selling my villa especially with the exchange rate. The next thing I need to look into is if they charge any large fees in the purchase and sale of a house ie if Ä250,000 goes into my cyprus account and then I want to transfer from my Alpha Bank account to my U.K. bank account how much would they want to charge for that.

Cheers


Don't have the sale proceeds paid to your Cyprus account. If you are going to convert to GBP and send to UK, have the proceeds paid directly to UK.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #30   PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:15 am Reply with quote
Da Funk
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 124
Pictures: 0

 
gazzaga wrote:
Da Funk wrote:
Steve - SJD wrote:
I was looking the other day for something else but found a handy Govt.
site that I had forgotten about. It lists the various charges the banks
make so that they can be compared with each other.

Unfortunately though it's in Greek but if you are prepared to put up
with the odd mistranslation then you can work it out using the link below.

It would seem that quite a few banks charge these international account fees
and a big difference in prices and i'll link to the page here:

Banks In Cyprus - Compare Fees - Accounts

HTH

Cheers

Steve


Thanks Steve, quite a difference with the lowest and highest charges. Unfortunately as we all know they make it so difficult to open and close accounts and they know that. In the U.K. they literally pay you to move accounts and transfer everything over for you. To be honest itís the last straw for me after nearly 15 years of there BS. Iím already looking into selling my villa especially with the exchange rate. The next thing I need to look into is if they charge any large fees in the purchase and sale of a house ie if Ä250,000 goes into my cyprus account and then I want to transfer from my Alpha Bank account to my U.K. bank account how much would they want to charge for that.

Cheers


Don't have the sale proceeds paid to your Cyprus account. If you are going to convert to GBP and send to UK, have the proceeds paid directly to UK.


Are the Cyprus lawyers familiar with that process of paying direct to a U.K. bank account? What if itís a international buyer or a Cypriot purchasing? I donít want to be short changed with exchange rates? Anyone got advice on how to sell with exchange rates and a Cypriot, Russian or international purchaser?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #31   PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:27 am Reply with quote
gazzaga
Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 137
Pictures: 0
Location: Limassol

 
Da Funk wrote:
gazzaga wrote:
Da Funk wrote:
Steve - SJD wrote:
I was looking the other day for something else but found a handy Govt.
site that I had forgotten about. It lists the various charges the banks
make so that they can be compared with each other.

Unfortunately though it's in Greek but if you are prepared to put up
with the odd mistranslation then you can work it out using the link below.

It would seem that quite a few banks charge these international account fees
and a big difference in prices and i'll link to the page here:

Banks In Cyprus - Compare Fees - Accounts

HTH

Cheers

Steve


Thanks Steve, quite a difference with the lowest and highest charges. Unfortunately as we all know they make it so difficult to open and close accounts and they know that. In the U.K. they literally pay you to move accounts and transfer everything over for you. To be honest itís the last straw for me after nearly 15 years of there BS. Iím already looking into selling my villa especially with the exchange rate. The next thing I need to look into is if they charge any large fees in the purchase and sale of a house ie if Ä250,000 goes into my cyprus account and then I want to transfer from my Alpha Bank account to my U.K. bank account how much would they want to charge for that.

Cheers


Don't have the sale proceeds paid to your Cyprus account. If you are going to convert to GBP and send to UK, have the proceeds paid directly to UK.


Are the Cyprus lawyers familiar with that process of paying direct to a U.K. bank account? What if itís a international buyer or a Cypriot purchasing? I donít want to be short changed with exchange rates? Anyone got advice on how to sell with exchange rates and a Cypriot, Russian or international purchaser?


If it is a Brit buying its pretty simple, you would just need to fix an FX rate that's agreeable to you both, bear in mind there coule be weeks or months between agreement and cash changing hand. If it's a foreign buyer, They will want to pay in EUR so you can just send it directly to the UK account in EUR and let the bank do the FX as they would have done in your initial statement. All this does is cuts out Alpha Bank in the process. If it is a sale as part of the 'Citizenship by Investment' then the purchase price will need to exchange hands in Cyprus. If it's a Russian Buyer, it woukd be better to receive the Funds in Cyprus as you will have many problems receiving a transfer in UK from a Russian National (and lots of problems in Cyprus for that matter)
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
ALPHA BANK Ä200 Maintenance Account Charges 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Banking, Insurance & Investments
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
  


All times are GMT  
Page 2 of 2  
Goto page Previous  1, 2


  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic   
Search Tags: #ALPHA #Maintenance #Account #Charges



 Facebook Page    Facebook Group    Our Channel    Cyprus eBay Search    Shopping To Cyprus    Contact Admin   SmartFeed RSS Feed



BUYING PROPERTY IN CYPRUS? PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU SEEK INDEPENDENT LEGAL ADVICE FIRST.
Cyprus forum covering Kapparis, Protaras, Pernera, Agia Napa, Agia Thekla, Paralimni, Larnaca, Oroklini, Pervolia & surrounding areas
Please note that the views expressed on this forum are those of the author and may not reflect the views of the management.
* Problems Logging In? Click To Contact Us | Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group Design Style: VTrushkin | View Lo-Fi Version