Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues » Rent
Rent 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
wendy mcgarry
Pictures: 0

I currently have a rental agreement where I pay 850 euro per month, my rental agreement runs out in November . To day I got a call from my landlord saying when my contract runs out and I get a new one my rent is going upto 1800 euro per month , if this is legal I will loose my business as I cannot afford to pay this per month , any advice would greatly appreciated .

Thank you
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
J B
Location: Shropshire/Staffordshire/Cheshire (UK) and Tala (Paphos) sometimes!

It's certainly 'legal' for a landlord to ask whatever they like - whether you accept is up to you. Wink

It seems to be the mentality of landlords in Cyprus that many seem to push the rent up too high and then end up with an empty property. Rolling Eyes

I guess Question that it's a shop Question Can you move elsewhere?

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Sorry to hear that Wendy - is there nothing in the contract that would
cover future increases?

Also I did a search and you may find this article helpful.

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Re: Rent 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
stevecroad
Pictures: 2

wendy mcgarry wrote:
I currently have a rental agreement where I pay 850 euro per month, my rental agreement runs out in November . To day I got a call from my landlord saying when my contract runs out and I get a new one my rent is going upto 1800 euro per month , if this is legal I will loose my business as I cannot afford to pay this per month , any advice would greatly appreciated .

Thank you

It may well be legal but at the same time it is ridiculous.

Steve Croad

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
wendy mcgarry

Thanks guys , it isnít a shop itís a big piece of land which has no planning permission for building ? Iím gutted 🤬
Re: Rent 
Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
FSB Properties
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

wendy mcgarry wrote:
Thanks guys , it isnít a shop itís a big piece of land which has no planning permission for building ? Iím gutted 🤬

how big is this land and where is it located. Does it have or need to have any special features?? And if it's ok to ask, what is it used for??

Member of the AIPP.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
scottie

I thought there were restrictions as to how much a landlord can increase a tenants rent. Or is this another law that has never been " ratified ," ?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Rent 
Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:53 am Reply with quote
wendy mcgarry

It is used as a boat yard it has been there for years . When I bought the company 2 years ago everything was fine . She gave me a contract with the same rent ! Now that is coming to and end in November and she wants 1800 euro that amount of rent is just not viable for me I will loose my business 😡

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
jeba

Steve - SJD wrote:
cover future increases?

Cheers

Steve

From that article:
Quote:
If there is a rental agreement in place, rent increases are set by the clauses of the agreement.

While that sounds plausible I wonder what it means if there is a very long-term rental agreement agreed (22 years) with only one rise of rent stipulated (after 2 years). Does this mean the landlord cannot raise the rent for 20 years?

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

jeba wrote:
Steve - SJD wrote:
cover future increases?

Cheers

Steve

From that article:
Quote:
If there is a rental agreement in place, rent increases are set by the clauses of the agreement.

While that sounds plausible I wonder what it means if there is a very long-term rental agreement agreed (22 years) with only one rise of rent stipulated (after 2 years). Does this mean the landlord cannot raise the rent for 20 years?
I cant see any landlord agreeing not to have a raise for twenty years

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
jeba

Blossom wrote:
jeba wrote:
Steve - SJD wrote:
cover future increases?

Cheers

Steve

From that article:
Quote:

I cant see any landlord agreeing not to have a raise for twenty years

My lease contract was for a period of 2 years with an option for me to extend it for another 20 years. This is what my lease says:

Quote:
After 2 years the landlord will have the right to increase the rent by Ä xx i.e. to Ä XXX.

The tenancy agreement will be for a period of 2 years i. e. it will end by 31 May 2019. The tenant will have the option to renew the lease for 20 years provided he is not in arrears with payment of the rent. Should he wish to exercise this option he has to notify the landlord no later than 2 months before expiration for the lease..... The tenant will also have the right to terminate the leasehold prematurely with 2 months notice effective anytime after 31. May 2019.

The landlord unilaterally waives his right to give notice of termination as long as the tenant is fulfilling his contractual obligations.

So having exercised that option I wonder whether it is to be regarded a rental agreement with just one raise stipulated. If so - what would be a legal basis to ask for another raise which isnīt stipulated?
Rent 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues