Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General » Mobiles across divided Cyprus Goto page 1, 2  Next
Mobiles across divided Cyprus 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
billibob
Pictures: 0

Good news.

According to KNEWS Mobile phones now work across divided Cyprus. The first call was made around noon Thursday between Cyprus’ Greek Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades and Mustafa Akinci, leader of the Turkish Cypriots.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Mobile phones now work across divided Cyprus

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

I have an English mobile which I lock to a South side provider, usually CYTA, as we stay very close to the green line so need to avoid connecting to a north side provider which is or was not included in EU roaming.
So has this changed? Can I connect automatically to any provider and be sure I have EU roaming?
Paul.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:46 pm Reply with quote
ROB

Anyone know what the charges are, is it International roaming or CLASSED as EU roaming?

Will we need to prefix with 00357 to call CY mobiles from the north using a CY mobile?

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy,”

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Perrylorna

Just had £7.50 roaming bill for being out of Eu
Close to border

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
carts320
Pictures: 2

Perrylorna wrote:
Close to border

I take it your mobile isn’t a cyprus one ?

U.K. Vodafone class all of cyprus and even Turkey in there EU roaming and even allow inclusive minutes and data to be used.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
scottie

carts320 wrote:
Perrylorna wrote:
Close to border

U.K. Vodafone class all of cyprus and even Turkey in there EU roaming and even allow inclusive minutes and data to be used.

Don't quite know what you mean. Our son was about to make a call from Fireman's beach yesterday and was told it would cost him £1.80 per minute . Of course he hung up
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:28 am Reply with quote
carts320

scottie wrote:
carts320 wrote:
Perrylorna wrote:
Close to border

Don't quite know what you mean. Our son was about to make a call from Fireman's beach yesterday and was told it would cost him £1.80 per minute . Of course he hung up

simple, is it a Cyprus mobile number or which country? as until this latest news Cypriot ones couldn't roam in northern Cyprus.

if you have a UK Vodafone number its part of the include minuets in eu and northern Cyprus and Turkey

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:00 am Reply with quote
jeba

carts320 wrote:

simple, is it a Cyprus mobile number or which country? as until this latest news Cypriot ones couldn't roam in northern Cyprus.

Are you saying that as of now it doesn´t matter if your cell is accidentally logged into the Northern network while using mobile data? That would be good news.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:01 am Reply with quote
carts320

What I am saying is uk Vodafone has been like this for over a year!

Now there is incoming an agreement between north and south to roam, costs I cannot confirm.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

I knew Vodafone EU roaming works in the whole of Cyprus as my son is with them. We are with O2 and EU roaming did not apply with a northern provider. It is that I would like to know if this has changed.
Paul.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:57 am Reply with quote
adyandkaren
Pictures: 23

I don't know about O2 Paul, but EE told me last night that they haven't changed anything - north is not included in their EU roaming

Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

Thanks for the feedback. I suspect O2 will be the same. Next time I am over I'll force it on a northern provider, but not making any calls, and check the 'welcome to....' message which will tell me the cost.
Paul.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

More info: What are the mobile phone charges across the Green Line?

Cheers

Steve

Post: #15   PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
carts320

so with the higher cost a UK Vodafone is still cheaper to use in the north, what a joke.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
bromerzz

In my opinion the cost for most people is not important when making a call if you are across on the northern side.
What is important is being able to make and receive calls in th event of an emergency.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
bubblechris

From what I can see some people think the new usage relates to all mobiles. Nothing has changed other than Cyprus mobiles can now be used in the occupied area where they couldn't before. The cost is as always very high and you should make sure your phone doesn't automatically switch to Turkcell or you could be landed with a big bill if used.

This applies to both UK and Cyprus mobiles I believe.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
scottie

https://in-cyprus.com/what-are-the-mobile-phone-charges-to-and-from-the-north/
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:56 am Reply with quote
carts320

bubblechris wrote:
The cost is as always very high and you should make sure your phone doesn't automatically switch to Turkcell or you could be landed with a big bill if used.

This applies to both UK and Cyprus mobiles I believe.

Bubblechris, as I've said a number of times not all UK mobiles suffer high charges.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:22 am Reply with quote
Kmas100

I don't really understand the point of this landmark achievement?..
Surely the point of integrating two mobile network infrastructures is to reduce costs from both an operational perspective and also cheaper services to the customers. So in essence, nothing has changed other than a RoCyprus sim now operates in the occupied parts of the island and vica versa. Essentially from a cost perspective the occupied area is still deemed a foreign non/EU country
Mobiles across divided Cyprus 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General