Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » Free microchipping
Free microchipping 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:12 am Reply with quote
KIZI
Pictures: 0

The Government has announced free microchipping from 1st August and estimate approx. 20,000 dogs will be microchipped. Microchipping to be carried out on Tuesdays & Thursdays between certain hours, at veterinary clinics. Animal shelters will be included in this which must be good news.
Perhaps the volunteers at the shelters - who do the most fantastic work with the animals in their care - would appreciate a few volunteers to help taking the dogs to the vet or microchipping.

KIZI
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: Free microchipping 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:29 am Reply with quote
scottie

KIZI wrote:
The Government has announced free microchipping from 1st August and estimate approx. 20,000 dogs will be microchipped. Microchipping to be carried out on Tuesdays & Thursdays between certain hours, at veterinary clinics. Animal shelters will be included in this which must be good news.
Perhaps the volunteers at the shelters - who do the most fantastic work with the animals in their care - would appreciate a few volunteers to help taking the dogs to the vet or microchipping.

KIZI

I wonder how many owners without licences will have it done , as the vet has to report each chipping to the government and a license will be required .
About time , so many not bothering ,
Just as aside . Why are the dogs in the shelter being chipped , surely the purpose of chipping is to enable dogs to be returned to their owners ? .
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:45 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

scottie wrote:
KIZI wrote:

KIZI

I wonder how many owners without licences will have it done , as the vet has to report each chipping to the government and a license will be required .
Just as aside . Why are the dogs in the shelter being chipped , surely the purpose of chipping is to enable dogs to be returned to their owners ? .

I help out at a local rescue, the reason the shelter dogs need chipping is to enable them to be adopted, whether here or abroad. None of our dogs go to homes that are not checked by one of our volunteers and part of the adoption package is the chip, vaccinations and passport which you can`t get without the chip. Also it enables easier identification if one of the dogs manage to escape, which unfortunately can happen.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
scottie

sugarray1955 wrote:
scottie wrote:
KIZI wrote:

KIZI

I help out at a local rescue, the reason the shelter dogs need chipping is to enable them to be adopted, whether here or abroad. None of our dogs go to homes that are not checked by one of our volunteers and part of the adoption package is the chip, vaccinations and passport which you can`t get without the chip. Also it enables easier identification if one of the dogs manage to escape, which unfortunately can happen.

I appreciate that but surely the registered address would be the shelter. How can they change the chip , once inserted to another address ?
My main gripe is the free chipping . I not only paid for my dog to be chipped 13 years ago and have paid a licence fee ever since .. Do we get a refund ? I very much doubt it. I have only ever met one dog owner in these 13 years who have a licence !!!

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Murch

The chip number is registered on a central computer and its this that is changed when the dog goes to a new owner, not the chip itself.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:11 pm Reply with quote
madmum

scottie wrote:
sugarray1955 wrote:
scottie wrote:
KIZI wrote:

KIZI

I appreciate that but surely the registered address would be the shelter. How can they change the chip , once inserted to another address ?
My main gripe is the free chipping . I not only paid for my dog to be chipped 13 years ago and have paid a licence fee ever since .. Do we get a refund ? I very much doubt it. I have only ever met one dog owner in these 13 years who have a licence !!!

my 3 dogs and 4 cats we brought with us were all microchipped as babies. even UK vets do special offers now its a legal requirement. so dont resent paying for it.

But do resent being 1 of the minority who has paid for licences since moving here. didnt even consider not to as when registered with vets they gave me a form and said go to get licences.
Wouldnt mind if money went to helping dogs, maybe improving conditions at the pound
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
madmum

scottie wrote:
KIZI wrote:

KIZI

someone has already explained about chipping shelter dogs. BUT they will have to not enforce the part that dogs then have to be registered. unless they get rehomed in Cyprus but most are adopted abroad

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Where do you get a dog licence?

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Mr Tibbs wrote:
Where do you get a dog licence?

The town hall
Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:14 pm Reply with quote
scottie

madmum wrote:
scottie wrote:
sugarray1955 wrote:
scottie wrote:
KIZI wrote:

KIZI

my 3 dogs and 4 cats we brought with us were all microchipped as babies. even UK vets do special offers now its a legal requirement. so dont resent paying for it.

But do resent being 1 of the minority who has paid for licences since moving here. didnt even consider not to as when registered with vets they gave me a form and said go to get licences.
Wouldnt mind if money went to helping dogs, maybe improving conditions at the pound

I don't resent paying either ,its all part of having a dog. I do however resent the fact that so many others don't. You are correct the monies collected should go for the upkeep of the pounds
Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
sugarray1955

scottie wrote:
sugarray1955 wrote:
scottie wrote:
KIZI wrote:

KIZI

I can appreciate what you are saying, we have 3 dogs, 1 we brought with us and 2 rescues, when you adopt a rescue part of the cost is the chip, if we can get dogs chipped free we can reduce the cost of the adoption package, which has to be a good thing, if it means rescuing more of these poor creatures from the pounds they are unfortunately kept in. Like you, all our dogs are registered and are licensed and always have been since we moved here, if the free chipping helps with putting less dogs in the pounds I am all for it. Unfortunately the money for licenses etc, does not seem to go to any of the pounds which as you say it should.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
scottie

https://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/654900/Animal-cruelty-RSPCA-Britain

Wonder why they send them there ?

Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
KIZI

Yes, there is unbelievable, terrible animal cruelty in the UK (and many other countries) and what can we who live here do about it - nothing much is the answer. But we can do something about the animal cruelty here that happens on a huge scale; we are on the spot, we can see the cruelty first hand, we even know the perpetrators sometimes. We know owners don't buy licences, don't have their animals immunised, keep them in disgusting conditions with little food and when they have served their purpose dump them at the nearest shelter with little or no fear of police prosecution. And it will take years to change this.

So, anything the Government comes up with which may help is worth supporting and doing everything we can to make it work. The shelters and volunteers must be given regular adequate funds and that is down to us to make sure it happens. Sorry if this sounds harsh but it's not helping our problems if we get upset about UK animal cruelty but don't support Government incentives and the shelters here.

My original posting was about the free microchipping and also suggested shelters might be glad of volunteers to take the animals to and from the vets. Not only to help the volunteers but it would, hopefully, show the vets that we are getting involved and really care.

KIZI

Post: #14   PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
scottie

KIZI wrote:
Yes, there is unbelievable, terrible animal cruelty in the UK (and many other countries) and what can we who live here do about it - nothing much is the answer. But we can do something about the animal cruelty here that happens on a huge scale; we are on the spot, we can see the cruelty first hand, we even know the perpetrators sometimes. We know owners don't buy licences, don't have their animals immunised, keep them in disgusting conditions with little food and when they have served their purpose dump them at the nearest shelter with little or no fear of police prosecution. And it will take years to change this.

So, anything the Government comes up with which may help is worth supporting and doing everything we can to make it work. The shelters and volunteers must be given regular adequate funds and that is down to us to make sure it happens. Sorry if this sounds harsh but it's not helping our problems if we get upset about UK animal cruelty but don't support Government incentives and the shelters here.

My original posting was about the free microchipping and also suggested shelters might be glad of volunteers to take the animals to and from the vets. Not only to help the volunteers but it would, hopefully, show the vets that we are getting involved and really care.

KIZI

I agree wholeheartedly , however if people keep making comments with regard to how awful "Cypriots " are to their animals and how they are being sent to " a happy place for animals " , perhaps more would be willing to help because the statement is just wrong ! Cruelty exists everywhere world wide . If statements like these are made one must surely expect a comeback .
If people like yourself and many more of us , British and Cypriot , joined forces and ensured that all paid their licence fee , the coffers would be overflowing with funds for proper dog shelters. One gets tired of people who complain constantly about the appalling conditions who are , at the same time walking their own dog with no licence . Comes across as hypocrisy . So our thinking is not as far apart as you may think . You need help and the way to raise money is already there

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:19 am Reply with quote
KIZI

Couldn't agree more scottie. Certainly on the licences I never ceased to be amazed when I had my little dog, how many people Cypriot and British were surprised, smiled or even laughed and all made much the same comment "why are you bothering doing that, no-one buys dog licences here". Some day, with a lot of work, we might begin to change attitudes like this.

KIZI

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:30 pm Reply with quote
scottie

KIZI wrote:
Couldn't agree more scottie. Certainly on the licences I never ceased to be amazed when I had my little dog, how many people Cypriot and British were surprised, smiled or even laughed and all made much the same comment "why are you bothering doing that, no-one buys dog licences here". Some day, with a lot of work, we might begin to change attitudes like this.

KIZI

Hopefully 😊 the strange thing is , when I get notification of renewal , I am threatened with a 600 euro fine if it not paid on time , while those who get caught without one only get fined 100 euro ...............go figure 😂😂😂😂😂
Free microchipping 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus