Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question » Management Company disappeared
Management Company disappeared 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
KIZI
Pictures: 0

I've been renting a bungalow on a small complex for 5 years. There was a Management Company who turned up regularly, cleaning, gardening and looking after pool. Suddenly, in April 2018 the communal electricity was switched off and has never been reconnected - EAC confirmed that they were requested to disconnect the electric "by a previous customer". The company continued to garden,clean and look after the pool although they did not come as often as they had done. Finally at the beginning of 2019 they stopped completely. No-one seems to know what has happened. One owner, here on holiday, thought they had, in his words, "run off with the money"!

There had never been any mention or sign of a Management Committee, there were no owners living on site, most of the flats were long rents or holiday lets. Even my landlord knew nothing about a Management Committee; I wonder if it was the case that the developer was acting as the Management Company which I think did happen sometimes?

Is there some way that I can check if there ever was a Management Committee set up or who was on it? Or is there some legal ruling about a complex with neither Management Committee or Management Company?
Seems a shame to see what was a well-kept attractive complex turn into a derelict eyesore. Would appreciate any comments.
KIZI
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

Unfortunately Kizi I've heard about quite a few of these fly-by-night 'Management Companies' - I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've "run off with the money".

It's really up to the owners to sort this out - the Management Committee (even though it may be just one person) must have contracted with the company.

Someone must have been paying them - no-one in their right mind would maintain the complex without payment.

A Management Committee MUST have been set up - and they would have contracted with the company to do the work, collect maintenance charges, etc.

I'm sure your landlord would have been paying someone. I suggest you ask him. There may be something in his sale agreement about insurance maintenance, etc?

One thing that may have triggered this was a change in the banking regulations. You can see the change in regulations at Bank Circular Management Committee.

What does it say in your rental agreement on the subject? You may be able to put pressure on your landlord to sort this out by withholding part of your rent - others renting on your development could do the same.

Your landlord or any other owner can approach the Land Registry to manage the development - see page 20 of the Department of Lands & Surveys Citizens' Charter.

Regards,

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:54 am Reply with quote
KIZI
Pictures: 0

Many thanks for the very helpful reply Nigel. Since I sold my own property this is the first time I've rented and come across the "Management Committee/Company scenario and what can happen! I suppose in an ideal world if all the owners lived permanently on-site,formed a Committee,paid realistic communal fees a lot of the problems wouldn't occur.
But I will ask my landlord what has/is happening and what the plans (if any) are. I didn't know that the Land Registry could be approached to act as Management Committee; neither had I heard about the change in bank regulations that you pointed out. I'll point them out to my landlord when I see her.

Thanks once again

KIZI
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Management Company disappeared 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question