Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters » Selling a duty free car
Selling a duty free car 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Kat
Pictures: 0

Further to my previous enquiry, and to make matters worse, the car we're selling was brought duty free from the UK. It's over 10 years since its registration in Cyprus. Can we sell it to anyone? What's the procedure?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: Selling a duty free car 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Kat wrote:
Further to my previous enquiry, and to make matters worse, the car we're selling was brought duty free from the UK. It's over 10 years since its registration in Cyprus. Can we sell it to anyone? What's the procedure?

As far as I am aware (and am no expert) then if you want to sell a duty free
car locally then the duty must be paid on it first. I think you would need to
visit the customs office in Larnaca or Limassol and they will be able to
give you the amount due.

After ten years of ownership then duty you have to pay drops - unless this
has been changed.

Alternatively you may be able to sell it to someone who is entitled to
duty free status i.e. on the bases without having to pay the duty.

Someone may come along with more recent info.

HTH

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:51 am Reply with quote
Kat

Thank you Steve. I've had a sleepless night trying to find information regarding selling the vehicle. I wouldn't want to drag a buyer to customs only to find out there's some reason we can't sell it. It just seems impossible to find accurate and complete info anywhere.

Is there anyone here who might have gone through the process of selling their imported vehicle?

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:24 am Reply with quote
PatCon

Yes, Kat, I've done it, though it was quite a few years ago. I used to come here to my flat on holiday and put my duty-free car in bond in my absence. When I lived here permanently and wanted to sell it, I had to go to customs at the port in Larnaca (as Steve said) and they inquired in Nicosia how much duty I had to pay. It depends on the age of the car. I was amazed. They added the time it was in bond to the calculation as if the car didn't get older in that time and I had to pay much more than I expected. But I had to bite the bullet.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
foda
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Kat wrote:

If you have not dealt with this matter I can help you if you wish as I deal with customs and registration maters.
Call me on 97820657

Foda

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Marc C

I spoke with Customs in Nicosia earlier this year. From what I understood, after 12 months, you can sell it without any additional tax being due but you need to get a new registration document for the vehicle. You need to apply at a Customs office and complete a "disposals" form which is then sent to Nicosia for processing.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:05 am Reply with quote
UD

From what I remember customs charge is 2cents per cc, ours was a 2000cc so it cost 40.
Keep all the paperwork that they give you, its needed when you sign over the car to the buyer.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Selling a duty free car 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters