Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General » Man arrested for filming police officer Goto page 1, 2  Next
Man arrested for filming police officer 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:29 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Man arrested for filming police officer

A man has been detained by police in Larnaca after he recorded on video a
police officer who was flagging down vehicles and checking for... [
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

]

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am Reply with quote
Blossom
Pictures: 0

I can see some reason for filming police activity, but there are too many idiots out there with time on their hands wanting to post on you tube.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

There does seem an element of irony, when Steve’s following OP is “New police chief seeks to build trust in the force”. Laughing

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
Blossom

If i'm stopped by the Police for a motoring check, then the last thing I would want, is to have some numpty standing on the pavement filming me.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:21 am Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

If experts say it is not illegal to film how can this person be arrested for a privacy offence? I have a camera recording in my car at all times. Could I be arrested if I am stopped by the police?
Paul.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:36 am Reply with quote
Blossom

Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
If experts say it is not illegal to film how can this person be arrested for a privacy offence? I have a camera recording in my car at all times. Could I be arrested if I am stopped by the police?
Paul.

Its says, no problem filming in public as long as you have that persons permission.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:43 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
Paul.

Perhaps it might not be the filming that is illegal but the potential
data privacy issues and whether it was to be shared on public platforms??

I don't know just a guess.

Cheers

Steve

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

Blossom wrote:
Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
Paul.

Its says, no problem filming in public as long as you have that persons permission.

That's not what the original article says:
"According to legal experts, it is not illegal to record someone in public, including police officers, as it is not reasonable to have an expectation of privacy in such situations."

I actually think that police should welcome being filmed as a step towards 'open policing' and boosting public confidence. Providing they have nothing to hide of course.
Paul.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:02 am Reply with quote
Blossom

Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
Blossom wrote:
Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
Paul.

"According to legal experts, it is not illegal to record someone in public, including police officers, as it is not reasonable to have an expectation of privacy in such situations."

I actually think that police should welcome being filmed as a step towards 'open policing' and boosting public confidence. Providing they have nothing to hide of course.
Paul.

The link I put up is an official Government link, and it clearly states you must get the person's permission before you can film them, it's not about filming the Police , maybe I don't want to be filmed, if I saw a policeman beating someone up, I would be the first to film it, we are talking about police stopping people for motoring checks, huge difference

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
Blossom

Steve - SJD wrote:
Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
Paul.

Perhaps it might not be the filming that is illegal but the potential
data privacy issues and whether it was to be shared on public platforms??

I don't know just a guess.

Cheers

Steve

You might be right Steve, I seem to remember one of the reasons , traffic cameras were not installed,was because there was a problem re Cyprus privacy laws

Post: #11   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:51 am Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

Blossom wrote:
Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
Blossom wrote:
Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
Paul.

Paul.

The link I put up is an official Government link, and it clearly states you must get the person's permission before you can film them, it's not about filming the Police , maybe I don't want to be filmed, if I saw a policeman beating someone up, I would be the first to film it, we are talking about police stopping people for motoring checks, huge difference

Just a question.

So if you film someone doing an armed robbery or any offence it could not be used in a Court of Law if you did not get the permission of the person you caught in the act. Confused

Post: #12   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 am Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

So as I asked earlier, are carcams illegal here?
Paul.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
Blossom

Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
Paul.

Mate I know as much as you, If you had an accident could you use it in court, I don't know, I am not a lawyer, I think the problem lies with Cypriot laws, they have not been brought up to date, regards cctv etc, I'm only guessing about this, but I do remember there was an issue with speed cameras being installed and privacy laws being infringed etc, hopefully another forum member with some more legal knowledge might add to this.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:20 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Blossom wrote:
Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
Paul.

Mate I know as much as you, If you had an accident could you use it in court, I don't know, I am not a lawyer, I think the problem lies with Cypriot laws, they have not been brought up to date, regards cctv etc, I'm only guessing about this, but I do remember there was an issue with speed cameras being installed and privacy laws being infringed etc, hopefully another forum member with some more legal knowledge might add to this.

Can't help with that one. I do know some people though who, having had stuff nicked out of their garden on a couple of occasions, plus neighbouring friends, got a caution for pointing their front door CCTV at the aforesaid. The law it seems being that they could have it covering the door but not a public road outside. Confused

Post: #15   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Blossom wrote:

The link you put up says
Quote:
There is no restriction in regard to photographing / filming people, shops etc. in Cyprus, as long as you get permission from the appropriate person.

So who is 'the appropriate person'? The chief of police? The driver?

What about dash-cams?

I assume the courts will determine this, if it gets to court.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Blossom wrote:
Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
Paul.

Speed cameras were eventually accepted by parliament, after some deputies expressed concerns about being photoes with someone other than their spouse in the passenger seat (but that might just be gossip)

IIRC, they were either being installed or about to be installed, when questions were raised about the tendering process and the contract was terminated.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

Kwacka wrote:
Blossom wrote:

The link you put up says
Quote:
There is no restriction in regard to photographing / filming people, shops etc. in Cyprus, as long as you get permission from the appropriate person.

So who is 'the appropriate person'? The chief of police? The driver?

What about dash-cams?

I assume the courts will determine this, if it gets to court.

I am assuming the appropriate person is the one you want to film... or is the owner of the property etc

re dash cams, this is interesting

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
carts320
Pictures: 2

two fully working speed cameras in Nicosia and fines are issued.

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

carts320 wrote:
two fully working speed cameras in Nicosia and fines are issued.

When did this begin

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
carts320
Pictures: 2

2 or 3 years ago at a guess.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General