Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » Gesy
Gesy 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:30 am Reply with quote
cathy.ed
Pictures: 0

Can anyone tell me how we pay our dues for Gesy if we are not working or paying social insurance ? My husband does pay Cyprus tax on his UK private pension, will it be collected via his tax return ? Many thanks Cathy

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

Yes, the contributions will be collected via the income tax system. Everyone should be registered with the tax system whether or not they are above or below the tax threshold. This included Husband and Wife

Trev..
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote
cathy.ed

Thanks for the reply . I thought this was the case . However when we went to Larnaca tax office and told them I now needed to register for tax , they asked me how much I earnt . When I replied nothing . They point blank refused to register me . I argued and pointed out I needed to now register it didn’t matter wether I was below the threshold , but they still refused to register me.
Have been talking to the Gesy helpline and the lady there said that as my Husbands fills in a self assessment on his UK private pension, then we need to go to the tax office and we must fill in a form No 313 . To pay for Gesy.
Will go to the tax office next week and see what the outcome is and let you know .
Cheers Cathy

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
SensibleBob

And therein lies the problems of Cyprus. For 5 years Deryneia tax office have been giving me the run around as my wife wanted to register as a non tax payer as everyone reminds us we ar tax resident here. Like it or not gor nowhere but this year registered her online and done return proving nothing is payable. In some ways I agree with the tax office as it is a complete waste of time but at least they cannot chase us up in umpteen years when/if they get to look at it.

btw the British High Commission tried to get involved but gave up also! To begin with they gave the politically correct advice but eventually agreed in some instances the staff are just bloody minded. Bit like the ratetoconvert sterling to euros....but we don't want to go there as that IS a waste of time.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
mac69

Sometimes I wonder if people do the correct form filling when leaving the u k ?

The first step is the P85 followed by the form DT individual . Explained by Campbell Findlay years ago . http://www.easterncyprus.com/viewtopic.php?t=7470&highlight=p85

We did this in 2010 and were accepted in to the Cyprus tax system , both paying no tax .

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk

There was a rule in Cyprus that none tax payers did not need to register , but that changed this year , and clearly if you follow the correct form filling anyone can get in the system.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
cathy.ed

My husband has filled in all the right forms and pays tax in Cyprus . I have a income from a flat in UK which is rented out and as it is a UK asset I have to pay UK income tax on that rent . I cannot opt out of that . And I quote the HMRC
“You may need to pay UK tax even if you’re non-resident, for example if you have income from renting a property in the UK.”
What I need to do is register for tax out here and fill in a tax return showing that I don’t pay any tax as I don’t have a income here to pay tax on .
If I can do this on line then can some one please point me in the right direction. So that I can register for tax here and fill in a nil return .
As the Larnaca tax office will not allow me to register no matter what I say .

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:03 am Reply with quote
KIZI

cathy.ed I'm sorry I can't be of help for your specific problem but I wondered if you have been speaking to one person at Larnaca Tax or passed from one to another? It might be worthwhile speaking to Eleni Constantinidou at the office - she was very helpful, speaks good English Her email is /telphone 24304444 (not sure if the phone number will be the same as Tax Office has recently moved, now next to Citizens Centre & Land Registry.

I have never been liable for tax here as I'm well below the threshold - I only have my UK pension but I was registered by the tax office in 2008 but they told me at the time that I did not need to complete any tax returns. But last year when the system changed I went to the Tax Office; they updated my personal data and also gave me a unique TAXISnet number and told me to make returns online from this year even though I'm still not liable for tax.

Sorry to be a bit long-winded but hope it's of some use.

KIZI
Gesy 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines