Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » The Boot Room » Referees Goto page 1, 2  Next
Referees 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
sagalout
Pictures: 0

Before I start, forgive me if I ramble somewhat Iíve some health problems that ainít helping at the moment.
Is it just me are others wondering about the state of our refs, donít forget none went to the World Cup.
Iíve always thought Mike Dean was a tad Ďstrangeí but there were 2, to me clear red cards against Spurs on Saturday. I did only see reports on the game, one was clearly a danger to the Spurs player with the Burnley lad without a leg on the floor & the other out of control & studs up.
I keep hearing the ref management saying they donít want to spoil the Ďspecticalí off the game. But that is the responsibility of the players not the ref. Loosing that game has had a big effect on Spurs season. The refs job is to ensure the rules of the game are adehered to, a foul is a foul wherever itís commited on the pitch. How often are players grabbing shirts, arms around the waist of the player they are marking. Itís a foul, itís a pen & if it prevents a goal scoring opportunity itís a red, thatís what they are there for. Not to ensure itís an enjoyable game!
This week Abu Diarby finally retired, a player of real potential leg ruined by the sort of tackle I saw in the spurs game. Costa hit dangerously left his foot hanging off, Rambo with a double fracture from dangerous tackles, thatís just my team.
Dean is an appealing ref & the whole system needs looking at.
Sagalout
Oh this isnít about teams mine or yours itís about how the game is looked after.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Totally agree. And he got the corner decision wrong( I am NOT a Spurs fan but enjoy watching them. Another ref who plays to the camera.
ber
Several times I have said on here the possibility of refs beings influenced by money should not be ignored. I remember Bruce Grobb..and the fuss that caused. With the huge sums at stake why not referees?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
'Fings ain't what they used to be'..........Max Bygraves 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

The standard of refereeing has gone down sharply over the years, has as the standard of fair play amongst the players! Evil or Very Mad

From memory, and looking at the videos of the 60's, 70's and 80's and there were very few, if any, incidents of grappling in the box at corners, players diving or going down like a sack of spuds (no pun intended, should that be considered a wind up! Rolling Eyes ) at the slightest contact!

Then again they were times when the game was played by MEN who could take a tackle, would play every game of a 42 game season, often on a quagmire of a pitch with a heavy sodden ball, whilst never complaining that they were too tired to turn out twice in a week, and all the time earning a wage that most players of today, and their agents, would not bother to get out of bed for! Twisted Evil

P.S. No rambling in your OP there saga, and hope your health problems soon improve! Smile

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

Agree with all the above.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

One of the worst refereeing performance - if not the worst refereeing performances - was Roger East's at the Bournemouth on Saturday.

Three penalties - at least two were 'dubious' (one a dive, the other a foul outside the penalty area), ruling out the most blatant offence, and 10 yellow cards, including one for which is in the 'automatic red card' category.

I wonder what effect VAR will have next season?

From the games this season where it has been used there seems to be little, if any, change in player's behaviour.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
kokkinos

Do away with wžth yellow cards . Five minutes in the sin bin for bad fouls,
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

How about referees 'miked up' as rugby union referees are?

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
sagalout

Some appealing ref decisions in todayís derby. They seem to get worse

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Just one
Sagalout

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
bubblechris

Antony Taylor is considered one of Riley's best refs. Imo he's awful and fails to fairly control a game.

Having said that Spurs are masters of the dark arts and have been well coached by their Argentinian manager.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

bubblechris wrote:
Antony Taylor is considered one of Riley's best refs. Imo he's awful and fails to fairly control a game.

Having said that Spurs are masters of the dark arts and have been well coached by their Argentinian manager.

Arsenal wrote the book on cheating, no lectures please Laughing

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

sagalout wrote:
Some appealing ref decisions in todayís derby. They seem to get worse

Just one
Sagalout

But to be fair it's not as if, over the years, the Spuds have ever got the benefit of umpteen refereeing decisions!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:38 am Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

Back to the OP.

A few decades ago our referees were the best in the World.

What's happened to change that, and what do you think the answer is.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
sagalout

This thread is team neutral please. We all have opinions about clubs, most of which balance out
As an example Xhakas Ďtackleí on Keane awful. Think it was Rose on Leno not even booked at the least both were yellows.
Itís about refs! Taylor got every major decision wrong PEAís pen should have been retaken.
Appalling referee
Sagalout

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

sagalout wrote:
This thread is team neutral please. We all have opinions about clubs, most of which balance out

Agreed - life's too short to argue over teams.

Hope that you are feeling better!

Cheers

Steve

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
bubblechris

mouse wrote:
Back to the OP.

A few decades ago our referees were the best in the World.

What's happened to change that, and what do you think the answer is.

The man in charge of them Mike Riley.

Didn't Collina get offered the chance or something to take control of our refs but either he refused or they got to him too late. Now if he had been in charge I am sure things would have improved.

We'll have to wait for VAR and hope they don't water it down so as to make it ineffective. I remember what they did to the 10 yard rugby rule they tried to introduce.

The offside rule has to be changed as well so that their is a least say a body distance between on and offside. Distance between the two.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:08 pm Reply with quote
sagalout

Thanks for the posting Steve Iím sick of childish remarks about teams.
Also thanks for your well wishes, unfortunately it looks like itís something you donít get well from. Iím waiting for confirmation in the next couple of weeks from a neurosurgeon diagnosis. Plus side it donít kill you 🤣
Sagalout

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
FIFA scrap 10-yard rule

Football's governing body sanctioned an experiment with the regulation in the Premier League and Football League over the past four seasons, allowing referees to move free-kicks 10 yards closer to the offending side's goal.

"It is a disappointing decision because while the law was not used a lot, it did have an impact on the behaviour of players," Hackett said.

"The referees over here found it acted as a deterrent. The problem, as I understand it, is the countries who do not have any familiarity with the concept couldn't get their heads around the process."

Post: #18   PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:46 am Reply with quote
J B
Location: Shropshire/Staffordshire/Cheshire (UK) and Tala (Paphos) sometimes!

On Saturday at Stoke (v Notts Forest) we had Roger East.
His punishment for being so rubbish at the Wolves v Bournemouth was a sentence at Stoke Laughing

One incident that made me chuckle particularly ....
Offside given against Stoke player just level with the the penalty spot ...
NF took the kick about 10 yards further forward, despite Lino standing where kick should be.
Ref ordered a retake
NF moved it back about 3 yards (Lino still standing where lick should have been) and neither Ref nor Lino said a word Rolling Eyes

Anyway, we won Shocked so we weren't bothered!!! Smile

Post: #19   PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:21 am Reply with quote
Blossom

The offside rule should go back to how it used to be, any one offside then its given, rather then the rule now 'if the player is interfering with play' alot of experts say according to the rule book Kanes foul by mustafi stands, and mustafi should of got a red card, because he made no attempt to play the ball.... I think bringing in VAR, will bring about a change in quite a few rules, because even the experts cant agree.. the standard of UK refs is terrible, that's why not one English referee was chosen to attend the last World Cup finals, that should of rung alarm bells....in defense of the refs, they are under a lot of pressure, and should be given protection when the players crowd round them , shouting and swearing at them to get a decision changed, the authorities should start handing out bans to them.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
sagalout

Yet another appalling ref show. The Swansea Man C game really shows how poor reffing is effecting the game. A blatant dive & an offside goal. If they canít get the basics right, they shouldnít be put in charge of a game. It should be Swanse in the hat today.
Maybe itís time we actually started to think the impossible & there is something else infecting the game.
Sagalout

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » The Boot Room