Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General » In Cyprus Garbage collection fees to change based on “pay as
In Cyprus Garbage collection fees to change based on “pay as 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:12 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

In Cyprus Garbage collection fees to change based on “pay as you throw” model

The Minister of Agriculture, Rural Development and the Environment, Costas
Kadis, aspires to pass a new law on garbage collection fees by the end of
2019, based on the usage-pricing model “pay as you throw”

As the Minister of Agriculture told CNA, the model which has been
implemented in several European countries, was chosen after studying
several pricing models. According to the model, the users will pay in advance
for all the garbage they wish to be collected, by purchasing a custom bag, at
a relatively high cost.

“Citizens will try... [
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

]

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
FSB Properties
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Pictures: 0

I have been advocating this for some time, but then when I think of all the fly tipping that will take place I quickly backed off.

We shall see.

Member of the AIPP.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

So how exactly is this going to work on residential complexes ? Where rubbish bins are shared between all occupants. Sorry, but whilst I admire the intent the application is unworkable and will almost certainly increase the incidence of flytipping.

Mercury Rising

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

You will still use the same rubbish bins but you have to buy a certain bag from the council probably to put your rubbish in ... The less rubbish, the less bags you will need to buy..
But I do agree that this will lead to more and more fly tipping.
I also wonder what will happen re the people who use the Green Municipality bins around towns and villages. People can, and do, tip all sorts in there.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

trevnhil wrote:
You will still use the same rubbish bins but you have to buy a certain bag from the council probably to put your rubbish in ... The less rubbish, the less bags you will need to buy..

Yep I understand that trev, but what is to stop individuals from just throwing bags into the bins, any bags, or passers by just dumping their stuff....it’s fine for individual properties...but for complexes..? And do individual properties now have their own “bins” rather than communal bins on the streets...or do they just leave the bags on the streets...ideal for rats, cats etc, and how does this increase the work for the binmen? Multiple bins or bags to process rather than the large green ones...I just can’t see it working. Whilst I admire the drive to reduce and segregate waste it is exactly measures such as these that have led to councils in the UK reducing waste collection etc. Our complex has 2 to 3 collections a week in high summer due to the influx of tourists etc and of course the health and hygiene aspects of waste being left to fester in the heat...back to the drawing board I think.

Mercury Rising

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

trevnhil wrote:

Just to "go off on one" here for a moment.

We drove around the Kouris last weekend. Just to see how much it had filled. Beautiful countryside but heartbreaking to see, I suppose because of the isolation, what morons have been doing all the way around it:

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
rivonia

It just will not work here. We have the large green bins and I often see cars and pick up trucks just stop and dump rubbish and builders material. This is the way of Cyprus.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
madmum

Hudswell wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Yep I understand that trev, but what is to stop individuals from just throwing bags into the bins, any bags, or passers by just dumping their stuff....it’s fine for individual properties...but for complexes..? And do individual properties now have their own “bins” rather than communal bins on the streets...or do they just leave the bags on the streets...ideal for rats, cats etc, and how does this increase the work for the binmen? Multiple bins or bags to process rather than the large green ones...I just can’t see it working. Whilst I admire the drive to reduce and segregate waste it is exactly measures such as these that have led to councils in the UK reducing waste collection etc. Our complex has 2 to 3 collections a week in high summer due to the influx of tourists etc and of course the health and hygiene aspects of waste being left to fester in the heat...back to the drawing board I think.

is around 50 houses in our road & have communal bins. but at end of road with a small hotels bins so if 1 full put rubbish in other. we just drop off our kitchen bin bags when driving past. but nothing to stop us emptying the paid for bags into bin & reusing them. must say since supermarkets started charging for bags we dont have people leaving bags of rubbish next to the bins anymore

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

Sounds like a case of 'You pay as they throw'. Surely this can never be made to work. We have 1 communal bin for 12 houses and it's on the road for all to see and presumably use.
Paul.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
DAC
Pictures: 9

Great idea but TBH I haven't laughed so much in ages, surely this is just another policy aimed at unlocking a bag of free cash from Brussels. Ironically, we were driving into Frenaros the other day and the workers employed to pick up the roadside litter were putting some of it into bags and throwing the rest into the fields, you couldn't have made it up.
In Cyprus Garbage collection fees to change based on “pay as 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General