Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » BLOODY SUNDAY Goto page 1, 2  Next
BLOODY SUNDAY 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Gerry McMahon
Pictures: 0

I am SOLDIER ( F ) come and get me.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
cansweet
Pictures: 1

Do you honestly think that's funny?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

I didn't read it as an attempt to amuse. Confused
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Mr Tibbs wrote:

What did you read it as Tibbs. ? Personally I didn't know what to make of it but definitely not funny
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

scottie wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:

What did you read it as Tibbs. ? Personally I didn't know what to make of it but definitely not funny

Like "Je suis Charlie" after the murder by islamists of 12 people at the Charlie Hebdo Paris office in 2015............... it's an expression of solidarity.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:

Like "Je suis Charlie" after the murder by islamists of 12 people at the Charlie Hebdo Paris office in 2015............... it's an expression of solidarity.

Understand now. Really slow today . thank you
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

scottie wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:

Understand now. Really slow today . thank you

NP. Have a nice weekend. X
Re: BLOODY SUNDAY 
Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 8

Gerry McMahon wrote:

It could be anyone of us who just obeyed orders, but you don't see anybody pursuing those who gave the orders, like Tony Blair!!!

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:12 am Reply with quote
mouse

Bobbeer wrote:
Gerry McMahon wrote:

It could be anyone of us who just obeyed orders, but you don't see anybody pursuing those who gave the orders, like Tony Blair!!!

Tony Blair was Prime Minister in 1972 Confused Rolling Eyes

He was 19 at the time.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:07 am Reply with quote
Blossom

Bobbeer wrote:
Gerry McMahon wrote:

Well said.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:35 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

A current source of resentment I’m sure is what appears to be the post Good Friday agreement and Saville inquiry (Ł195 million) apparent hounding of a now septeganarian British soldier. That, whilst the - widely known - perpetrators of events such as the Omagh atrocity (29 dead, 220 injured) walk the streets. Add in those who’ve knowingly murdered but are free on the basis of “comfort letters” and it’s blindingly obvious that it’ll stoke up strong feelings.

Forgive and forget should surely be a level playing field? Confused

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
Blossom

Mr Tibbs wrote:
A current source of resentment I’m sure is what appears to be the post Good Friday agreement and Saville inquiry (Ł195 million) apparent hounding of a now septeganarian British soldier. That, whilst the - widely known - perpetrators of events such as the Omagh atrocity (29 dead, 220 injured) walk the streets. Add in those who’ve knowingly murdered but are free on the basis of “comfort letters” and it’s blindingly obvious that it’ll stoke up strong feelings.

Good Post

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
Jacs
Pictures: 6

Mr Tibbs wrote:

Whilst I agree with most of your post, the forgive and forget I can never agree with.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:02 am Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 8

mouse wrote:
Bobbeer wrote:
Gerry McMahon wrote:

He was 19 at the time.

He was the one at the Good Friday Agreement signing pardoning the terrorists, releasing them from detention and giving them compensation!

He was also the one at the time of the Gulf wars.

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:04 am Reply with quote
mouse

Bobbeer wrote:
mouse wrote:
Bobbeer wrote:
Gerry McMahon wrote:

He was 19 at the time.

He was the one at the Good Friday Agreement signing pardoning the terrorists, releasing them from detention and giving them compensation!

He was also the one at the time of the Gulf wars.

Ah! I understand now, but you made it sound as if he gave the orders in 1972, which is why I responded to that quote.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

I find this decision extremely difficult to stomach and especially as a decision was also taken not to prosecute 3 IRA terrorists. It is hard, no impossible to recreate the scene on that day, the politics involved, the tensions in the streets, prior to and leading up to events. The saville inquiry concluded that no shots were fired on the troops...based on what? Testimony of those in crowds. The march although illegal was primarily non violent, tell that to the soldiers being stoned, soldiers who had face weeks of constant rioting, shooting incidents and abuse. The Paras, over reacted, of that I have no doubt and innocents were killed, it was war, but again you would have had to be on the ground at the time to understand the dynamics of the day, and I am sorry but contrary to the “evidence” I believe shots were fired on both sides. I was deployed on the streets of Belfast in 1979, 21 years old and subjected to horrors that eclipsed most if not all of my experiences in the conflicts I later took part in. Northern Ireland, Belfast, the Falls Road, Londonderry, the Bogside were simply hell on earth.

Mercury Rising

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:07 am Reply with quote
bromerzz

Forget 21 and try 17.5 years old because then there was no age limit on how young soldiers could be patrolling on Op Banner.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:33 am Reply with quote
Jacs
Pictures: 6

Hudswell wrote:
I find this decision extremely difficult to stomach and especially as a decision was also taken not to prosecute 3 IRA terrorists. It is hard, no impossible to recreate the scene on that day, the politics involved, the tensions in the streets, prior to and leading up to events. The saville inquiry concluded that no shots were fired on the troops...based on what? Testimony of those in crowds. The march although illegal was primarily non violent, tell that to the soldiers being stoned, soldiers who had face weeks of constant rioting, shooting incidents and abuse. The Paras, over reacted, of that I have no doubt and innocents were killed, it was war, but again you would have had to be on the ground at the time to understand the dynamics of the day, and I am sorry but contrary to the “evidence” I believe shots were fired on both sides. I was deployed on the streets of Belfast in 1979, 21 years old and subjected to horrors that eclipsed most if not all of my experiences in the conflicts I later took part in. Northern Ireland, Belfast, the Falls Road, Londonderry, the Bogside were simply hell on earth.

You also saw how the IRA used women and children as a screen, who would part to let the IRA fire and then close up again. The armed forces were sitting ducks. Catapulting stones, throwing bottles with petrol in, are not, so called unarmed. I stand with right along side Soldier F.

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

bromerzz wrote:
Forget 21 and try 17.5 years old because then there was no age limit on how young soldiers could be patrolling on Op Banner.

True but unusual, I joined at 16 and left training at 18, and of course deployable from then. Us so called “boy soldiers” grew up pretty quickly.

Mercury Rising

Post: #20   PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
DAC
Pictures: 9

Hudswell wrote:
bromerzz wrote:

True but unusual, I joined at 16 and left training at 18, and of course deployable from then. Us so called “boy soldiers” grew up pretty quickly.

I too joined at 16 and my first N.I. tour I was twenty. On day one the RUC Officer in charge of the station briefed us that at that particular time the main threat was against Soft Targets, two days later he was murdered at home whilst stood in his kitchen washing the dishes, his kids were doing their homework and witnessed everything, three days later we received a proxy bomb at the PVCP. There were lots more casualties and deaths on that tour with two Nuns blown to pieces by a culvert bomb that was meant for a car of RUC officers on the day that we were leaving to come home.

Like you say, we "grew up" very quickly.
BLOODY SUNDAY 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat