Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters » Driving Licence Query
Driving Licence Query 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Sparton
Pictures: 16

Hi, as I understand it, if I apply for a Cypriot driving licence, they will take my British licence off of me, now what happens if for some reason I decide to return to England to live, I won't have a British one, and having held my English licence since 1955 I'm a bit reluctant to give this up.

Many Thanks

Sparton
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: Driving Licence Query 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Blossom
Pictures: 0

Sparton wrote:
Hi, as I understand it, if I apply for a Cypriot driving licence, they will take my British licence off of me, now what happens if for some reason I decide to return to England to live, I won't have a British one, and having held my English licence since 1955 I'm a bit reluctant to give this up.

Many Thanks

Sparton

If you go back to the UK, you can get it back, without a problem, just look at it, as though they are looking after it for you.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Sparton

Thank you Blossom, but I don't understand why they need to take it away anyway

Best Wishes
Sparton
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
UD

Sparton wrote:

Best Wishes
Sparton

When your British licence expires you need to change it to the country you reside in, if Britain leaves the EU all British licences will need to be changed to Cypriot ones.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Sparton

Thank you UD and Blossom for your help

Sparton

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Unless today's news is different to anticipated why is everyone panicking about a possible change that might happen. So many totally ignore the rules here so let's not anticipate a stupid situation that may be years away if at all.
So far we have complied with all the MEU rules, health insurance before retirement and even paid some immovable property tax. All a waste of time and money.
But no way am I swapping my UK driving licence on a maybe.
So far I have been stopped by the police twice in 14 years when driving. Once for doing 123 on motorway and made them wait 4 months for the money. And once for towing a boat the wrong way up a street that was blocked by a police car that would not move...he did when confronted with 4 tons that was not reversing 100 metres.
If the driving licence change becomes mandatory ...I feel a Cypriot shrug coming on!

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

Sparton wrote:

Best Wishes
Sparton
I would imagine its so one or the other isnt used for fraud, for example you lost your Cypriot licence because of too many points, what's stopping you then driving on your UK licence, ,,, the two country's do check up, so it might not be wise to try a fast one.. as for some people foolishly burying their heads in the sand, and saying im not going to comply , well good luck, if your insurance company refuses to pay out, in an event of an accident, saying you were illegally driving.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:21 am Reply with quote
carts320
Pictures: 2

just for what its worth when you convert your UK licence to a Cypriot one, it then shows on the UK data base that you have done so and your UK one no long exists, but should you return to the UK you can do the reverse and surrender the Cy one to obtain your UK one.

for those who have swaped log on to the UK DVLA licence checker and see if yours is still on the system.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:49 am Reply with quote
mac69

Just checked mine , yes it has gone from uk system .

“You do not hold a current GB driving licence, a licence has been issued by another licensing authority .”

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:52 am Reply with quote
carts320
Pictures: 2

mac69 wrote:
Just checked mine , yes it has gone from uk system .

“You do not hold a current GB driving licence, a licence has been issued by another licensing authority .”

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Exactly, but when and if you return you can exchange it back.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters