Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » Unemployment/housing benefits in Cyprus
Unemployment/housing benefits in Cyprus 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
KIZI
Pictures: 0

I'd be interested to know if Cypriots can get these benefits and if they can apply for them how much they are and how do they qualify?

Reason I'm asking is that there is a young woman living in a complex opposite to mine. All through the summer/autumn last year she spent most of her time sitting on her balcony. During the last few months she sits out when possible, otherwise she sits just inside her patio door. Recently boyfriend has appeared, very obviously not working either.

Last week a young woman appeared in a flat on my complex. Her balcony being opposite my bungalow 2/3 yards away. Again, very obviously that she doesn't work and just sits on her balcony or wanders in and out of the apartment, muttering the odd word to a large dog which she has on the balcony - I've never seen her or dog outside. Lo and behold boyfriend appeared for first time yesterday on the balcony in his dressing gown with his phone stuck of his ear where he stayed for the afternoon! I'm intrigued.

I just wonder how these people pay the rent,buy food,clothes etc.

KIZI
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: Unemployment/housing benefits in Cyprus 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

KIZI wrote:
I'd be interested to know if Cypriots can get these benefits and if they can apply for them how much they are and how do they qualify?

Reason I'm asking is that there is a young woman living in a complex opposite to mine. All through the summer/autumn last year she spent most of her time sitting on her balcony. During the last few months she sits out when possible, otherwise she sits just inside her patio door. Recently boyfriend has appeared, very obviously not working either.

Last week a young woman appeared in a flat on my complex. Her balcony being opposite my bungalow 2/3 yards away. Again, very obviously that she doesn't work and just sits on her balcony or wanders in and out of the apartment, muttering the odd word to a large dog which she has on the balcony - I've never seen her or dog outside. Lo and behold boyfriend appeared for first time yesterday on the balcony in his dressing gown with his phone stuck of his ear where he stayed for the afternoon! I'm intrigued.

KIZI

Careful or you might be classed as a voyeur Laughing To get serious, yes there is unemployment paid but I think its for a max of six months, providing you have paid into the system, housing benefits comes under the social office and is paid to needy cases, but this is Cyprus and they know if your a genuine case or not, it is far from easy to get benefits, if you are not in need of them.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:41 pm Reply with quote
scottie

KIZI wrote:

KIZI

I cannot believe this post !! . As for the answer you request I can only suggest that you ask them and thank goodness you are not my neighbour .
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
UD

I agree

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
KIZI

Thanks for informative reply Blossom - sadly voyeurism is out because I haven't got any binoculars.
As to the other replies: my question was purely out of interest in how the social security system here works and who is eligible for it,nothing more.

I think that if you live in a country that is not your own then you should try and find out and understand as much about the various systems that country has that affect its population. I won't dare ask how the school, public health or any of the other systems work.

KIZI
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote
scottie

KIZI wrote:
Thanks for informative reply Blossom - sadly voyeurism is out because I haven't got any binoculars.
As to the other replies: my question was purely out of interest in how the social security system here works and who is eligible for it,nothing more.

I think that if you live in a country that is not your own then you should try and find out and understand as much about the various systems that country has that affect its population. I won't dare ask how the school, public health or any of the other systems work.

KIZI

You could have found the information you required without mention of particular cases.
Most services here were set up by Brits , of course the unemployment benefit is a one off lol. I have lived here for 25 years and never have asked the question you did because a) I , thank goodness , have no need for the service . 2) it is the business only of those who do

Last edited by scottie on Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

Why not shoot the guy, fancy asking a question on a forum, Rolling Eyes

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Blossom wrote:
Why not shoot the guy, fancy asking a question on a forum, Rolling Eyes

I believe from memory your response a few days ago , to a similar question on here was exactly the same as mine is today ☺
It was not the question , perfectly acceptable but the way it was worded and the innuendo of wrong doing

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
KIZI

I'm obviously far too inquisitive it would seem. Perhaps when I first arrived on the island 12years ago, I shouldn't have asked how to buy property,how to register it, all about Title Deeds, how developers could take out NPL's etc. And why there were no juries in the courts;or why there were no magistrates, or why there was no distinction between solicitors and barristers. How the voting system and the State health services operated. How the banking system worked. Hundreds of things that I and most other people needed to know.

I'll repeat; my query was a genuine interest. Yes, I suppose I could have found out the info without asking the Forum. The reason I did was I thought that somebody might have first-hand knowledge of the benefits having perhaps been entitled to them at some stage. It certainly was nothing to do with spying on neighbours - they are not neighbours, they are just highly visible from my patio and windows as I am to them.

I notice that there are quite a few questions on the MEU1/MEU3, especially in terms of BREXIT; also on the new GESY health system and how it will affect us. So I don't really see what was so wrong with my question. Or are we only allowed to ask 'selective' questions?

KIZI
Unemployment/housing benefits in Cyprus 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat