Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General » Larnaca protection racket moves to trial
Larnaca protection racket moves to trial 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Larnaca protection racket moves to trial

Two men have been arrested so far on money extortion and racketeering
charges in connection with a case of mafia protection in Larnaca.

According to police, a 41-year-old man was arrested on Sunday while
another male suspect aged 42 was already in custody in a suspected
protection racket following complaints filed by two business owners in Pyla,
Larnaca district.

The men who filed the reports with police, a 55-year-old internet café owner
and a 53-year-old coffee shop manager, told cops that close to a dozen
men showed up on January 31 demanding €100 each... [Read More]

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:20 am Reply with quote
PatCon
Pictures: 0

Perhaps I should not associate this incident with your posting, Steve, but here goes. While drawing cash from the BoC machine a couple of weeks ago I saw a new top-of-the range, black BMW outside the bank. Strange number plate and on it was printed "Bally an Thai". Having lived in Ireland I know this is Dublin in Gaelic, but have never seen it on a number plate there. So when the owner and his wife came out I spoke to them and said "Hello Dublin!". Both looked puzzled and the man immediately got in the car. The wife faced me and said she didn't understand. I asked her where they were from and she said "We're from Germany". I then spoke to her in German but she didn't understand German. I asked her where they were really from and she said quietly "Georgia", got in the car quickly and they drove off. Not that I suspect them of dishonesty, but it is interesting. Cool

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:46 am Reply with quote
Blossom

PatCon wrote:
Perhaps I should not associate this incident with your posting, Steve, but here goes. While drawing cash from the BoC machine a couple of weeks ago I saw a new top-of-the range, black BMW outside the bank. Strange number plate and on it was printed "Bally an Thai". Having lived in Ireland I know this is Dublin in Gaelic, but have never seen it on a number plate there. So when the owner and his wife came out I spoke to them and said "Hello Dublin!". Both looked puzzled and the man immediately got in the car. The wife faced me and said she didn't understand. I asked her where they were from and she said "We're from Germany". I then spoke to her in German but she didn't understand German. I asked her where they were really from and she said quietly "Georgia", got in the car quickly and they drove off. Not that I suspect them of dishonesty, but it is interesting. Cool

Mr Nosey, comes to mind Laughing

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 am Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

I thought Dublin in Gaelic was baile átha Cliath?
Paul.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
FJ

Paul is correct. Dublin is Baile Atha Cliath. Im not surprised they were puzzled.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
PatCon

Yes Paul and FJ. My knowledge of Gaelic was never very good.
And Blossom, is being sociable considered nosy? What do you answer when people ask where you are from, tell them not to be nosy?

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

PatCon wrote:
And Blossom, is being sociable considered nosy? What do you answer when people ask where you are from, tell them not to be nosy?

You asked them quote ''where are you really from'' is that not saying , now tell me the truth?...

As for being sociable you said the man got straight in the car, obviously, you should of took the hint then.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Jacs
Pictures: 6

Off subject but something I've often wondered.
Do the Courts in Cyprus have the equivalent of Magistrates Court and Crown Court? Also do the have juries?

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

Jacs wrote:
Do the Courts in Cyprus have the equivalent of Magistrates Court and Crown Court? Also do the have juries?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judiciary_of_Cyprus

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Jacs
Pictures: 6

Blossom wrote:
Jacs wrote:

Thank you, interesting. So no jury.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
PatCon

Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:

You asked them quote ''where are you really from'' is that not saying , now tell me the truth?...

As for being sociable you said the man got straight in the car, obviously, you should of took the hint then.

In future I'll ask your advice on what is sociably acceptable. I take it that grammatically incorrect trolling is OK then Rolling Eyes

Post: #12   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
Blossom

PatCon wrote:
Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:

In future I'll ask your advice on what is sociably acceptable. I take it that grammatically incorrect trolling is OK then Rolling Eyes

Get over yourself, word of advice, next time you see a flash car, with dodgy no. plates, and fancy being a bit nosey, asking total strangers where they are ''really from'', dont be surprised if you get a negative reaction at best and a slap at worse Wink

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
Blossom

Jacs wrote:
Blossom wrote:
Jacs wrote:

No Jury, which personally , I think is a good thing.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

Blossom wrote:
Jacs wrote:
Blossom wrote:
Jacs wrote:

No Jury, which personally , I think is a good thing.

Not if the Judiciary is Bent, but that goes for anywhere.

Post: #15   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
PatCon

Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:
Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:

Get over yourself, word of advice, next time you see a flash car, with dodgy no. plates, and fancy being a bit nosey, asking total strangers where they are ''really from'', dont be surprised if you get a negative reaction at best and a slap at worse Wink

When I said I'd ask your advice I was being sarcastic.
I don't take advice from trolls. Now please leave it, you are so boring. Oh, and sarcastic means saying the opposite of what one means, using dark humour.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

PatCon wrote:
Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:
Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:

I don't take advice from trolls. Now please leave it, you are so boring. Oh, and sarcastic means saying the opposite of what one means, using dark humour.

Maybe you should start your own forum, and have a rule, ''please only post if you agree with me'' ..... would make more sense.. and keep you from getting bored Laughing

Post: #17   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:
Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:
Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:

Maybe you should start your own forum, and have a rule, ''please only post if you agree with me'' ..... would make more sense.. and keep you from getting bored Laughing

Chill out! Everyone's entitled to their opinion but you don't have to have
the last word and turn a discussion into an argument.

Cheers

Steve

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

Steve - SJD wrote:
Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:
Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:
Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:

Cheers

Steve
Point taken Steve, but being called a Troll for just giving an opinion, is not really on?

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

Blossom wrote:
Steve - SJD wrote:
Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:
Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:
Blossom wrote:
PatCon wrote:

Cheers

Steve
Point taken Steve, but being called a Troll for just giving an opinion, is not really on?

Think what you call me when I have an opinion. Rolling Eyes

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General