Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question » Issue of title deeds Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post: #21   PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:11 am Reply with quote
Dave B
Pictures: 0

and so yet another unexpected delay.

After receiving the 60 day letter we went to LR to pay the transfer as the letter said. We were then told the transfer fees had not been calculated, if we could turn up with the developer it would be done on the spot. Although we asked the developer, it seems very unlikely he would come to LR.

In fact this 60 day notification letter asking for us to pay transfer fees was sent out prematurely. We are told they may phone us when the calculation is done, although the reality is we are going to have to call in every couple of weeks for the next 2 months as I doubt they will call.

This hidden mortgages law is continually hampered by poor administration and each district applying the law in different ways. The whole process has been such a waste of my time, when it should not have been. Sad

Ps This thread has been moved from general by the Mods to "ask Nigel a Question" There is no question to ask Nigel and I know he does not agree with my opinion, however I did not move the thread to his section.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #22   PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

Hi Dave

I've been exchanging emails with a Cypriot chap in Nicosia. It took 361 days to issue his deeds from the date of his application.

His application had to be referred to the Planning Authority as the Land Registry was not in a position to issue the deeds as the land had to be divided, the property had to be inspected and issued with a Certificate of Completion, all the interested parties had to be contacted to see if they had any objections, a mortgage had to be moved, etc., etc.

He emailed me this morning - it appears that the Land Registry has registered his neighbour's property in his name and they also lifted a number of memos on the property.

He tells me that the confusion is due to the fact that the Town Planning Dept's. system of numbering does not tally with the number on his sales agreement.

Yes - there are issues, but I'm confident you will get your deeds in the end. When did you take delivery of the property?

Regards,

Post: #23   PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Dave B

Nigel we took delivery in 2010 and paid VAT. It is a shop not a house.

The developer phoned back today and is not prepared to go to LR. I must pay the transfer tax within another 50 days or so, which may be zero but could be increased from zero by the LR assessor. Only in Paphos are you sent a letter saying pay the tax and when you arrive they don't know how much or even when they will be able to tell me. Sad

Admittedly only a small snake in this game of "snakes and ladders", but typical of Paphos LR.

Post: #24   PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:36 am Reply with quote
Dave B

Just for fun I thought I would give an update on this.

I have had the 60 day letter telling me to pay the transfer tax. Last week I got a call from LR.

"Your sales contract says you paid VAT but the receipts you have do not have the VAT shown separately, this is illegal and we can't put forward a free transfer to the assessor" she said.

I replied "that is the developers problem not mine, I am VAT registered and the VAT paid is sitting on my capital liabilities with VAT so I can prove I paid VAT. Do you want me to go to the VAT office and get you the proof? "

The lady muttered a few things about making sure the developer did not do the transfer and could not get off the phone quick enough.

My take now is that they have the Paphos rule book for transfers and there is no rule for receipts issued without showing VAT separately. So the transfer lady does not know what to do. While I am quite happy to go to VAT and get some sort of documentation showing the VAT on my traders capital liability. They don't seem to want me to do that. It is easier for them if I just pay normal transfer tax (half in this case.)
I wonder if this will be resolved before the 60 days expired because I bet there is no rule to cover not paying the transfer tax because the can't calculate it.
Sad

Post: #25   PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
DC

We are in Ayia Thekla on a Chacholis development.
We applied for our deeds last year.
I had a call from Chacholis saying they had a letter for me so I have just been to their office to collect it.
Surprise ...... they want 1400 for IPT they say they have paid from 2006 to 2013 and 470 for municipal tax for 2006 to 2015.
I asked if they had certificates as proof of payment and was told I would be shown them when I paid.

Should I pay Smile Very Happy

Dave
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #26   PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hi Dave

When the Land Registry investigated you application they should have found that you had a contractual obligation to pay IPT and other property-related taxes.

They would have then sent you a letter asking you to pay the taxes to the competent authorities and produce the necessary evidence that you'd paid to the Land Registry.

Did this happen?

Regards,

Post: #27   PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
DC

No Nigel.
I've heard nothing from the Land Registry yet.
Chacholis are getting nothing from me until I do hear.

Thanks
Dave

Post: #28   PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
Jac

DC wrote:
We are in Ayia Thekla on a Chacholis development.
We applied for our deeds last year.
I had a call from Chacholis saying they had a letter for me so I have just been to their office to collect it.
Surprise ...... they want 1400 for IPT they say they have paid from 2006 to 2013 and 470 for municipal tax for 2006 to 2015.
I asked if they had certificates as proof of payment and was told I would be shown them when I paid.

Should I pay Smile Very Happy

Dave

I am also with Chacholis and have a letter stating that I owe them 1873 for IPT from 2005-2013 and 613 for municipal tax from 2005-2015. I told them I was happy to pay my debts but I needed to see confirmation that these had been paid on my behalf to the authorities. Their answer was "that was not how it worked"!

I haven't heard anything from LR since I applied for my deeds last October but I now intend to pay my outstanding taxes directly to the proper authorities when my deeds are ready to be issued in my name.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #29   PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
Dave B

Just had a call from LR. No tax to pay and the only snake left in this game of snakes and ladders is if Alpha Bank decide to take an injunction. Although I think this is very unlikely, they have taken injunctions preventing transfer before.

We count the days being able to transfer on 9 November, some 423 days after the individual deeds were available.

Post: #30   PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:29 am Reply with quote
DC

Hi Jac,
Yes that is what we are going to do.

Dave

Post: #31   PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
palmtree

Just heard from my solicitor who after speaking to the land registery can confirm that my title deeds have indeed been issued .im on a chacholis property in ayia thekla.so good news and hopefully for others.regards Palmtree
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #32   PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
DC

That is good news Palmtree.
Let us know how you get on obtaining your deeds from Chacholis.

Dave

Post: #33   PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
palmtree

Hi Dave.yes I will keep the forum informed as best I can.Regards Palmtree
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #34   PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

DC wrote:
I've heard nothing from the Land Registry yet. Chacholis are getting nothing from me until I do hear.

Can you please let me have the precise wording in your Contract of Sale obliging you to pay property-related taxes.

If you do not wish to post it in an open forum, send it to me by email using the button below this message.

TIA

Post: #35   PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
uisce6

Palmtree and Billybob
How did you get on with your Title Deeds in the end? Were you able to pay the Municipal charges etc to local authority or what? And did you finally get your Title Deeds?

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #36   PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
palmtree

Hi ucisc6.yes we did get our deeds. We paid The solicitors the transfer fees and taxes which were all correct who then paid the land registery ..So all went well.Our solicitor was Louise Zambartas who was excellent .Regards palmtree

Post: #37   PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
uisce6

That's great Palmtree. Were the taxes you refer to: the Municial charges and sewerage etc or what?

Post: #38   PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:14 pm Reply with quote
palmtree

Yes just municipal and sewarge.plus of course the transfer fees which were reduced 50% and a further 10% if you paid them all at once .regards palmtree

Post: #39   PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
uisce6

Palmtree,
You have been most helpful.
That's great, that you could pay the Municipal tax and sewerage to your solicitor, who then paid them to the land registry. I had visions of going around Ayia Napa trying to find the "competent authority" to pay them to.

Sorry to be a nuisance, but what about the Immovable Property Tax that Chacholis claimed you owed them up to 2013 (after which we were liable to pay ourselves until abolished). Did you also pay those older charges to the Land Registry or did you have to pay Chacholis?

Post: #40   PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
palmtree

Hi uisce6.yes we paid direct to the solicitor who paid the various authorities direct.transfer fees to land r3gistery and taxes to the local municipality.Nothing was paid direct to chacholis.good luck r3gards palmtree
Issue of title deeds 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question