Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » End of an era - Question Time
End of an era - Question Time 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Well that was it - after 25 years David Dimbleby bows out of Question Time!

A nice gesture by the audience at the end which I think he appreciated and
I for one will miss him chairing the programme. A great achievement covering
some of our countries most interesting times and some good memories!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by Steve - SJD on Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
devil
Pictures: 1

Agreed! It is not every question master who gets a standing ovation! I await eagerly to see how the lady taking his place copes.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
nikcnet
Pictures: 0

Back in the 1980's I attended several recordings of the programme when Robin Day was in the chair - he was such a gentle, unassuming soul !

Across the years there have been many lively panel and audience discussions - but I don't think anyone was harmed in the process.

I don't know but doubt that there are Question Time equivalent programmes being aired in North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Myanmar or Turkey. Just goes to show how much we take for granted the ability to freely express our opinions in the presence of those who rule over us.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:53 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

nikcnet wrote:
I don't know but doubt that there are Question Time equivalent programmes being aired in North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Myanmar or Turkey. Just goes to show how much we take for granted the ability to freely express our opinions in the presence of those who rule over us.

Absolutely. Yet in my experience there’s no shortage of people in forums who will eagerly leap to the defence of those nation’s leaders, whilst happily posting contemptuous comments about the West, where we take robustly criticising politicians and the like as a fundamental right. Confused

I would have added Russia. A country which under Putin has advanced the cause of lying literally on an industrial scale.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:02 am Reply with quote
Blossom

Do any of those politicians ever answer the question , put to them?

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:25 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Blossom wrote:

A good question.

Depends what you mean by “answer”. Very Happy Wink

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

Mr Tibbs wrote:
Blossom wrote:

A good question.

Depends what you mean by “answer”. Very Happy Wink

They Bypass them. Wink

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote
nikcnet

Mr Tibbs wrote:
nikcnet wrote:

Absolutely. Yet in my experience there’s no shortage of people in forums who will eagerly leap to the defence of those nation’s leaders, whilst happily posting contemptuous comments about the West, where we take robustly criticising politicians and the like as a fundamental right. Confused

I would have added Russia. A country which under Putin has advanced the cause of lying literally on an industrial scale.

Russia most certainly should be included - totally agree. There seems to be a developing body of credible evidence suggesting their cyber warfare strategy aimed at the West is underscored by a terminal hostility to any criticism of Putin and his regime.

Blossom makes a fair point about politicians not answering questions. In his final episode of Question Time, David Dimbleby seemed to be homing in on panellists more so than usual to get them to answer.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
J B
Location: Shropshire/Staffordshire/Cheshire (UK) and Tala (Paphos) sometimes!

Blossom wrote:

I was listening to Ken Bruce on BBC R2 the other week when Fiona Bruce was announced as the replacement.
The 'banter' was that it was actually going to be him doing QT
His instant response was that when he asked questions (Pop master) the guests did their best to give the correct answer!!!

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
DAC
Pictures: 9

Steve - SJD wrote:
Well that was it - after 25 years David Dimbleby bows out of Question Time!

A nice gesture by the audience at the end which I think he appreciated and
I for one will miss him chairing the programme. A great achievement covering
some of our countries most interesting times and some good memories!

Cheers

Steve

There's a nice clip on Youtube where Dimbleby makes a joke at JRM about Eton and JRM shoots him straight down by highlighting that he was indeed at Eton and that he was there with Dimbleby's son...

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:14 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Well I thought I would give it a few weeks to see how Fiona Bruce settled in
to the new the new role.

Overall whilst I think she is doing ok I think she interupts too much, lets
guests ramble on and adds too much of her own dialogue. It might change
as she gets more into the role or it may be just her style??

What do you think??

Cheers

Steve

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:16 am Reply with quote
lamby

Not liking the programme half as much with Fiona Bruce.as you said Steve,her constant interruptions are really annoying.sarcastic comments on behalf of what she sees as an audience agreeing with her own feelings,often to get laughs,is ruining the debates.she has already had to apologise about the wrong information she voiced 're the opinion polls when Diane Abbott was on the programme.it maybe me,but she does not appear as neutral as previous presenters.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Bring back Dimbleby! 
Post: #13   PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:49 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

I think she's terrible, not least for what lamby said! Cool

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
button

i thought the same as woodrow why. i voted to leave.
End of an era - Question Time 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat