Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Swimming Pools & Spas in Cyprus » Pool problem
Pool problem 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
MariaEph320
Pictures: 0

We have a communal pool and our pool maintenance guy told us that there was a major problem with the drainage pipes.

Apparently, the pipes which fill the pool with water are above the drainage pipes. These drainage pipes, due to the use of pool chemicals etc, are severely clogged up with limescale etc. This is affecting the efficient cleaning of the pool.

We've been told that the drainage pipes will need replacing for new ones. It would mean removing the pool tiles around the pool to get to the drainage pipes. This will cost 1200.

We have used the guy who quoted us before and seems quite genuine but we've never heard of this problem before even though he says it's quite common.

I hope the above makes sense. Would really appreciate some advice from a professional. We are in Kiti, Laranca and would also be happy to receive a 2nd opinion. It''s a lot of money to pay out and if it can be avoided it would be great.

Many thanks

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:18 am Reply with quote
UD

Hi Maria
There is a 'drain pipe', this a grid at the bottom of the deep end, this is the one that the pool guy probably means.
If you are concerned, before you part with your cash, I would get another pool repair company in for a second opinion.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:37 am Reply with quote
MariaEph320

UD wrote:
Hi Maria
There is a 'drain pipe', this a grid at the bottom of the deep end, this is the one that the pool guy probably means.
If you are concerned, before you part with your cash, I would get another pool repair company in for a second opinion.

Thanks UD. Can you recommend anyone please?

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
UD

Sorry I don't live in your area

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
madmum

UD wrote:
Hi Maria

If it is the drain pipe you dont actually need it & can have the grid blocked off. our pool was losing water & had it pressure tested. would have cost 500 to replace. and as our pool cleaner said he does lots of pools without drains. if you need to empty pool can buy submersible pumps at a fraction of the cost. just had a new liner & they drained pool using the hoover thing used to clean pool.
we used celtic pools who are in paralimni. but probably do most areas. cant say how price compares to others as we went with them as recommended
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

Try Andy at Panoramic pools in Paralimni, he does all my pools and just ask him if he covers your area, I would not use anyone else now. Tel 97656718. I would not recommend blocking your main outlet to the pump off, especially in a communal pool. If you do this your water will not be as clean as it should be as the skimmer inlets only filter the top of the pool, the main outlet filters the majority of debris in the pool.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
madmum

sugarray1955 wrote:
Try Andy at Panoramic pools in Paralimni, he does all my pools and just ask him if he covers your area, I would not use anyone else now. Tel 97656718. I would not recommend blocking your main outlet to the pump off, especially in a communal pool. If you do this your water will not be as clean as it should be as the skimmer inlets only filter the top of the pool, the main outlet filters the majority of debris in the pool.

probably is different with a communal pool. ours is reasonable big 10X4 but obviously not big as communal pool. it manages fine without, poolman uses hoover thing twice a week & most debris is leaves which float & removed with net

as communal wont cost either be shared by owners or taken from committee funds. at my apartment any large expense has to be voted on & a few quotes needed
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:34 am Reply with quote
UD

If it is the bottom drain the pool will need to be emptied to get at it, that would incur the cost of refilling after the work is done.
Surely if its communal you have a contingency fund for repairs on the complex, and if not the 1200 will be divided between the fee payers.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
2diffs

madmum wrote:
UD wrote:
Hi Maria

If it is the drain pipe you dont actually need it & can have the grid blocked off. our pool was losing water & had it pressure tested. would have cost 500 to replace. and as our pool cleaner said he does lots of pools without drains. if you need to empty pool can buy submersible pumps at a fraction of the cost. just had a new liner & they drained pool using the hoover thing used to clean pool.
we used celtic pools who are in paralimni. but probably do most areas. cant say how price compares to others as we went with them as recommended

Skimmer pools usually use their drain outlet in conjunction with the skimmers to achieve circulation. The bottom of the pool will suffer from low turnover if it is blocked off.

A cheap trick worth trying:
Using a mask flippers and snorkel or better a full scuba kit, dive into your chilly pool. Unscrew the grid, add a box of dishwasher capsules, the ones with soluble covers; replace grid and cover the top of it with a gasket of thick rubber or vinyl and place a paving slab on top. (This will stop the chemicals from rising into the pool.) After an hour start the suction pump for a 30 second burst, switch off then wait for 30 mins. Remove cover slab and rubber and pump to waste with the filter bypassed. With luck you will start moving the sludge. If you see the water draining stop the pump, check for debris clean its filter and then re run. (If you get clever you can put a rope on the slab and gasket and slide them aside without getting cold and wet.)

An alternative to dishwasher capsules is drain unblocker but you need to have ones with a soluble cover or bag to prevent them starting work before they are sealed into the drain. A polythene bag closed with soluble glue will work. Make sure you secure the bag to the drain or it could get sucked into the pipe.

Safety warning, 1. work with a buddy 2. avoid getting caustic chemicals on your hands or skin. 3. Do not recirculate the unblocking chemicals into the pool. 4. Dispose of the waste water responsibly.

Before and after carrying out the work check the pool PH to be sure the chemicals have not affected your water chemistry.

Last edited by 2diffs on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
sugarray1955

madmum wrote:
sugarray1955 wrote:

probably is different with a communal pool. ours is reasonable big 10X4 but obviously not big as communal pool. it manages fine without, poolman uses hoover thing twice a week & most debris is leaves which float & removed with net

as communal wont cost either be shared by owners or taken from committee funds. at my apartment any large expense has to be voted on & a few quotes needed

No, not different at all, size is irrelevant, all pools are designed on the same principle, the bottom inlet to the pump is designed to filter the water that the skimmers don`t get. I only mentioned the communal pool as more people are likely to use it resulting in a more contaminated pool.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Swimming Pools & Spas in Cyprus