Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question » Transferring a Property into Joint Names
Transferring a Property into Joint Names 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
chris
Pictures: 1

Hi Nigel

Don't know if you have the answer to my question, and my apologies if it's been answered before.

Our house in Cyprus is currently in my wife's name (she is a Greek Cypriot born in Cyprus)

My wife used up her CGT Lifetime Allowance of 17,086 when we sold our flat in 2005; we are now selling our current house, and have a buyer.

My research indicates that if the title of the property is transferred into joint names, I would then have own Lifetime Allowance of 17,086 which would help reduce the amount of CGT we would have to pay.

I also understand that the LR Fee for such a transfer is 0.4% of the 1980 value shown on the Deeds. We intend to use an Accountant for preparing the Capital Gains Tax return for the Tax Office.

Hope that you or other Forum members may be able to answer my questions.

Thanks

Chris

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

Hi Chris

When you say your wife used up her CGT Lifetime Allowance of 17,086, presumably she sold earlier properties she'd owned and this last sale used up the remainder of the her lifetime allowance of 85,430.07?

Your wife can gift a half share of her property to you. The Property Transfer Fees will be one ten thousandths of the value of the share at 1/1/2013. (I'm not sure whether you'll be entitled to the 50% discount.)

You can find the Land Registry fees at http://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Rights-and-Fees-Nov-2016.pdf

Regards

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question