Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Shopping in Paralimni & Services in Paralimni » Broken glasses
Broken glasses 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1
Pictures: 0

About 6 months ago my wife spent over 700 euros on eye tests and 2 pairs of glasses from Makis Eleftheriou in Paralimni. 2 days ago the frame around 1 lens split. when I looked at it I could see a gap of maybe 2 mm at the break. I found it impossible to close the gap with the lens in. This makes me believe that the lens was slightly too big for the frame causing the frame to fail.
My wife returned them to the shop and they replaced the frame. When my wife returned to collect them they wanted 220 euros. My wife explained that the way the glasses failed indicated an issue with the frame and that it should be under guarantee. The assistant said that Azzaro frames have no guarantee and that she had to pay. My wife had the lenses returned and left with no frame.

So is the assistant correct or is she acting illegally?
Do we have a case for free replacement?
Is this a case of usual Cyprus dis-service?

TIA
Paul.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: Broken glasses 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
About 6 months ago my wife spent over 700 euros on eye tests and 2 pairs of glasses from Makis Eleftheriou in Paralimni. 2 days ago the frame around 1 lens split. when I looked at it I could see a gap of maybe 2 mm at the break. I found it impossible to close the gap with the lens in. This makes me believe that the lens was slightly too big for the frame causing the frame to fail.
My wife returned them to the shop and they replaced the frame. When my wife returned to collect them they wanted 220 euros. My wife explained that the way the glasses failed indicated an issue with the frame and that it should be under guarantee. The assistant said that Azzaro frames have no guarantee and that she had to pay. My wife had the lenses returned and left with no frame.

So is the assistant correct or is she acting illegally?
Do we have a case for free replacement?
Is this a case of usual Cyprus dis-service?

TIA
Paul.
Why don't you contact Azzaro customer service dept, and ask them about their guarantees etc, explaining your situation and take it from there?, Personally I think legally, there should be some sort of guarantee in place. good luck.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

The company say that all of their frames come with guarantee. Personally I would insist the shop honour it or as already said above , contact direct
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

scottie wrote:
https://www.coolframes.com/glasses/azzaro-paris-eyewear/

The company say that all of their frames come with guarantee. Personally I would insist the shop honour it or as already said above , contact direct

Coolframes are agents for Azzaro, and their terms and conditions might vary from other agents, I would contact Azzaro direct and find out what their agents are required to honor re guarenties.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
jeba

I thought you have a 2 year warranty on almost everything you buy. Isnīt that an EU law?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

jeba wrote:
I thought you have a 2 year warranty on almost everything you buy. Isnīt that an EU law?

I would imagine the store could say, you broke them rather than theres a fault with the glasses.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
anpet

Hi Paul, sorry to hear this.

I'm due for a couple of new pairs myself - I guess I won't be using Makis Eleftheriou.

Sad

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

I have emailed Coolframes and supplied a photo of the frame. the cross section of the break (which is hollow) is still round which indicates to me that the break could not be caused by bending or external pressure which would flatten the cross section.
I shall return to the optician tomorrow and show them the guarantee information on the coolframes website to see if that will sway them.
Thanks for all the info.
Paul.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Just in case you need further ammunition:

The EU directive relating to this is 1999/44/EC.

The full wording is

but the important bit is this:

'A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere
in the EU. In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also
choose to offer a longer warranty period.'

As with UK law, a seller is not bound by the guarantee 'if the (fault) has its
origin in materials supplied by the consumer'. But the EU rule does not require
the buyer to show the fault is inherent in the product and not down to their
actions.

The EU rule also says buyers need to report a problem within two months of
discovering it if they want to be covered under the rule.

The above was updated from thisismoney.co.uk

If they still refuse to budge then show them this

from the Cyprus Consumer Protection Service.

If you still get no luck then report them to the above service.

HTH

Cheers

Steve

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
I have emailed Coolframes and supplied a photo of the frame. the cross section of the break (which is hollow) is still round which indicates to me that the break could not be caused by bending or external pressure which would flatten the cross section.
I shall return to the optician tomorrow and show them the guarantee information on the coolframes website to see if that will sway them.
Thanks for all the info.
Paul.

Your welcome. It will be interesting to see how you get on . Hope it goes well
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Broken glasses 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Shopping in Paralimni & Services in Paralimni