Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » Plight of the animal shelters in Oroklini
Plight of the animal shelters in Oroklini 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
KIZI
Pictures: 0

The animal shelters are in dire straits. They face an ever-increasing number of abandoned dogs and pups, some dumped in the open, others just tied to the pound or shelter gate. The shelters are at breaking point. The volunteers do a fantastic job looking after the animals, providing shelter, food, exercising them, paying vet bills and making every effort to find them foster and permanent homes. They try everything to raise funds to keep the shelters going and to feed the animals, but the demand gets higher and higher.Action is needed now and it's down to us all. Yes, we can be sympathetic to these poor abandoned dogs and the problems the volunteers have but .. sympathy doesn't buy food, doesn't pay the vet bills, doesn't try to get generators mended when they break down and volunteers are left trying to feed and look after the animals in the pitch dark.
So here's a couple of suggestions. Could all us OAP's give our 10 pound Christmas bonus to the local shelter(s)? Details of the shelters are on Facebook or a central fund could be set up with the volunteers controlling and distributing it. Could a "receiving centre" be set up in a secure place - in someone's house or in one of the local shops if the shopkeeper agreed, for donations of dog/cat food to be given.. Again with volunteers in control. This could run throughout December. There are lots of things that we could do, these are a couple which may start things off. We think nothing of going out for morning coffee but please have your coffee at home for a couple of days and give what you saved to the animals. They'd really appreciate it. We need the shelters and the volunteers, otherwise what happens? And we need to make sure they have what they need to keep going. Christmas seems a very appropriate time to start doing something.

KIZI
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:20 am Reply with quote
PatCon

KIZI is right. I've seen the huge efforts the volunteers make there. I'm sure some people want to support them, but they need to know exactly how. Can you motivate supporters by telling them how and where to contribute, KIZI? Or suggest an open day with exact instructions of how to get there?

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
KIZI

Thanks for reply Patcon. I'll put my thinking cap on as to how it could be co-ordinated. It just seemed to me that drastic action of some kind was needed fairly swiftly and my couple of suggestions seemed to be a good starting point to get people motivated. I'll post again ASAP.

Meanwhile, could you or other members put my mind at rest: this morning approx 8am I saw a lady and gentleman with pet carrier on Agias Theklas Street Oroklini, near to and then at the refuse bins belonging to Oroklini Hills 8 complex. There were there 30 minutes or even longer. I notice now that the usual cats & kittens that are around the bins and waste land nearby have vanished. Were they collecting them to take to the vets for spaying/neutering or for some other reason?

KIZI
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

I help out at 2 shelters in the Paralimni area and unfortunately it is just the same there, in the six years I have been helping, things seem to be getting worse than better, and the empty broken promises from the municipalities do not help..

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
KIZI

I mentioned Oroklini because shelters because I'm a 'local' but I was sure that the same thing happens in the other shelters ,with volunteers trying to cope with overwhelming numbers of dogs/puppies/cats with the Municipalities, as I understand it, sitting back happily ignoring the problem, safe in the knowledge that they will be allowed to get with it because the volunteers will always be there with donations coming from a few old faithfuls no matter how many animals are dumped. And the same is true of all those who think it is their right to dump animals anywhere they please, including tying them to the shelter gates. They don't fear the police, the animal welfare, or the Municipality who make no attempt to stop them: they have no conscience or no understanding of right and wrong. Unfortunately trying to change their mindset would probably take many years - it goes back generations and is based on how they view animals.
So in the short term all we can do is to keep the shelters funded as best we can. And we could probably do quite a bit more; dog walking, fostering,adopting or for us older ones maybe just sitting with a dog for an hour or so. I'm no expert on any of this, just an ardent dog lover,but it seems to make sense to me. Certainly things need to change.

KIZI

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

KIZI wrote:
I mentioned Oroklini because shelters because I'm a 'local' but I was sure that the same thing happens in the other shelters ,with volunteers trying to cope with overwhelming numbers of dogs/puppies/cats with the Municipalities, as I understand it, sitting back happily ignoring the problem, safe in the knowledge that they will be allowed to get with it because the volunteers will always be there with donations coming from a few old faithfuls no matter how many animals are dumped. And the same is true of all those who think it is their right to dump animals anywhere they please, including tying them to the shelter gates. They don't fear the police, the animal welfare, or the Municipality who make no attempt to stop them: they have no conscience or no understanding of right and wrong. Unfortunately trying to change their mindset would probably take many years - it goes back generations and is based on how they view animals.
So in the short term all we can do is to keep the shelters funded as best we can. And we could probably do quite a bit more; dog walking, fostering,adopting or for us older ones maybe just sitting with a dog for an hour or so. I'm no expert on any of this, just an ardent dog lover,but it seems to make sense to me. Certainly things need to change.

KIZI

Totally agree and to be honest I don`t think the mindset will ever change, but also I think it is a Mediterranean problem and not unique to Cyprus. The first shelter I help out, is totally run by expats but the second is predominantly Cypriots which does give hope for the future. We have ended up with 3 dogs, 2 are rescues from pounds here and the other we bought over when we came here, as you say all the shelters island wide are in similar situations and they all need any help they can get.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
KIZI

Quite right, no I don't think mindset will change, if it does it'll be many, many years. Good to hear that one of the shelters you go to has Cypriots - to be honest that surprised me! Yes, it's an island wide problem and certainly not only in Cyprus. And the reality is that however much money was thrown at the problem it wouldn't have that much effect, the problems get worse. A lot of things need to change quickly - the Municipalities need to recognise the problems, more volunteers are needed, general public need to be encouraged to donate in various ways,short-term with money/food/blankets etc but longer-term via bequests in wills being a good example. And I think it would be very useful if the shelters could make their community more aware of the problems they face, what they need and what people can do. Something simple - just a sheet of paper talking about their shelter, what they are trying to do and how the various ways people can help, how to donate, sponsoring, fostering and adopting.
If it's feasible the shelters could run a stall at one of the markets/craft fairs, perhaps taking a puppy for the children to pet or have their photo taken with. (under very strict supervision!). I think this was done at the Ayia Thekla market back in the summer. And DAXI might be willing to run an article or series of articles on shelters, with photos, telling their stories.
It's very difficult and will take time - certainly just thinking the public will donate won't work, they need some incentive and sadly lots of people are not that keen on donating to charities. But a start could be made.

Having said all that I've just read a Facebook posting that 8 pups (I think it's 8) have been found dumped in a field in Aradippou. Beyond belief.
I've got my thinking cap on again and will try to come up with some ideas. Aradippou Shelter are having a fundraising event on 1st December on Larnaca promenade and I'll go down and have a look and see what they do. There is also a craft fair this Sunday 18th November at the cafe by the lake here and I think they usually have a stall for one of the shelters so I'll see that too.And I'm sure that one or more of the shelters will have a stall at the Forest Beach Christmas fair at the end of the month.

KIZI

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

KIZI wrote:
Quite right, no I don't think mindset will change, if it does it'll be many, many years. Good to hear that one of the shelters you go to has Cypriots - to be honest that surprised me! Yes, it's an island wide problem and certainly not only in Cyprus. And the reality is that however much money was thrown at the problem it wouldn't have that much effect, the problems get worse. A lot of things need to change quickly - the Municipalities need to recognise the problems, more volunteers are needed, general public need to be encouraged to donate in various ways,short-term with money/food/blankets etc but longer-term via bequests in wills being a good example. And I think it would be very useful if the shelters could make their community more aware of the problems they face, what they need and what people can do. Something simple - just a sheet of paper talking about their shelter, what they are trying to do and how the various ways people can help, how to donate, sponsoring, fostering and adopting.
If it's feasible the shelters could run a stall at one of the markets/craft fairs, perhaps taking a puppy for the children to pet or have their photo taken with. (under very strict supervision!). I think this was done at the Ayia Thekla market back in the summer. And DAXI might be willing to run an article or series of articles on shelters, with photos, telling their stories.
It's very difficult and will take time - certainly just thinking the public will donate won't work, they need some incentive and sadly lots of people are not that keen on donating to charities. But a start could be made.

Having said all that I've just read a Facebook posting that 8 pups (I think it's Cool have been found dumped in a field in Aradippou. Beyond belief.
I've got my thinking cap on again and will try to come up with some ideas. Aradippou Shelter are having a fundraising event on 1st December on Larnaca promenade and I'll go down and have a look and see what they do. There is also a craft fair this Sunday 18th November at the cafe by the lake here and I think they usually have a stall for one of the shelters so I'll see that too.And I'm sure that one or more of the shelters will have a stall at the Forest Beach Christmas fair at the end of the month.

KIZI

There is the annual sponsored walk taking place in Ayia Napa today. It is called Paws for Life, a lot of the local shelters will be represented and will be walking dogs they have available for adoption, it is a great sight to see and of course it gives the lucky dogs a change of scenery if only briefly. In this area a lot of fundraising goes on and luckily the local pubs/restaurants are very supportive of it, allowing their premises to be used for such events.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

What is the route and what time does it start, please ray? Smile

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:27 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

Woodrow Why?at wrote:

Sorry only just seen this, it was at 1pm from the harbour.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

sugarray1955 wrote:
Woodrow Why?at wrote:

Sorry only just seen this, it was at 1pm from the harbour.

That's ok, bubblechris reckons I've still got time to get there! Wink Laughing

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus