Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » The US Midterms
The US Midterms 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Well that's the US midterms over with - it has been an interesting run in
to the elections to say the least Shocked

Trump in his usual manner declares it a 'Tremendous Success' and goes
on the attack again. (would love to be in one of his press conferences)

In fairness the Republicans did better than I thought they would do and
whilst a good night for the Democrats I thought it would have been more
conclusive after two years of Trump.

It's been a horribly divisive election in my opinion though and it should
come as no suprise that divided country produced a divided government.

Still with the Democrats in control of the house at least some of the
Presidents excesses will be curtailed. Plus no doubt we can expect more
investigations of Trump and perhaps finally get to see his tax return which
should be fun.

More seriously though what the vitriol of Trump and the election in general
has unleashed in the US will not quickly go away. Just one aspect of that
is the thousands of troops that will be heading towards the US southern
border. In addition to the troops there's already loads of plastic rambo's
heading down there taking up position ready for the "invasion". I hope
that one of the homegrown militia isn't trigger-happy Shocked

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh and now he's just
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:12 am Reply with quote
nikcnet
Pictures: 0

His attack on - and suspension of - CNN correspondent reflects an emboldened attitude in Trump.

He has probably been encouraged by the way his pals in North Korea and Saudi Arabia deal with awkward questions from the media.
Trump 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:20 pm Reply with quote
kokkinos

Trump looks at what s going on in Europe and don't want the same , look what s happened. To UK
Trump 
Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
kokkinos

Sessions was dead man walking .most time hiding under table .Trump done right thing , why should he not send soldier s

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Whilst the GOP have lost Congress they've increased their representation in the Senate. Not really the landslide defeat predicted and in reality a pretty disappointing outcome for those virulently opposed to Trump I imagine.

In essence the Republicans barely lost and 2020 doesn't now look like the Democrat walk in the park it seemed last week.

I wonder how Congress will react to what I suspect will turn out to be a raft of populist Trump legislation thrown at them now? That, with an eye to the next Presidential election.

And, of course, the (always unrealistic I think) dream of impeaching him is further away than ever.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

Mr Tibbs wrote:
Whilst the GOP have lost Congress they've increased their representation in the Senate. Not really the landslide defeat predicted and in reality a pretty disappointing outcome for those virulently opposed to Trump I imagine.

In essence the Republicans barely lost and 2020 doesn't now look like the Democrat walk in the park it seemed last week.

I wonder how Congress will react to what I suspect will turn out to be a raft of populist Trump legislation thrown at them now? That, with an eye to the next Presidential election.

And, of course, the (always unrealistic I think) dream of impeaching him is further away than ever.

It's very difficult to think of an electorate who are so intelligence deficient, and more divorced from reality, as the Yanks!

I certainly can't envisage another nation's voters who comes even close to being that 'dense'.........can you?!!Confused Wink

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
DAC
Pictures: 9

Mr Tibbs wrote:

Saw an interview yesterday with a Republican and he basically said that the more that the self-appointed virtuous attack Trump the more strength he will gain from those that despise the righteous that talk down to them. He also mentioned that the Republicans tried the same tactic with Clinton and how that had backfired on them as he went on to win a second term.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mr Tibbs wrote:

Well it wasn't the blue wave predicted but an extra 45 million people
will be living in states with the Dems in control after the election so not
too disappointing for them.

Getting control of the Senate was always going to be a difficult ask
due to the way it is set up but would have been nice to see them get
control of that too.

Why people continue to vote for a party that doesn't condone Trump's
constant and daily lies escapes me.

If Trump is happy with the result he certainly isn't showing it and the
tetchy press conference is an indication of that.

Plus today's debarkle with Sarah Huckabee the WH Press Secretary
sharing a clearly doctored video from infowars to try and claim an
assault by Acosta. If she had anything about her she would resign but
I doubt that will happen. Totally embarassing for the WH and in Trump's
own words plainly fake news.

Cheers

Steve
Re: Trump 
Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

kokkinos wrote:
Sessions was dead man walking .most time hiding under table .Trump done right thing , why should he not send soldier s

Actually he was quite effective and delivered pretty much what Trump wanted.

It was only recusing himself from the Russia probe that was his undoing
as Trump wanted his own man in there.

Cheers

Steve
Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

kokkinos wrote:
Trump looks at what s going on in Europe and don't want the same , look what s happened. To UK

Perhaps he should concentrate on what's happening in the US then - at the
moment it seems that hardly a week goes by where there isn't another mass
shooting.

Cheers

Steve
Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

Steve - SJD wrote:
kokkinos wrote:

Perhaps he should concentrate on what's happening in the US then - at the
moment it seems that hardly a week goes by where there isn't another mass
shooting.

Cheers

Steve

Now you're just nitpicking, Steve!! Big Wink

Post: #13   PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Mr Tibbs wrote:

From what I understand, his loss of majority in the HoR means that he can be examined more closely, including the tax returns that he promised to reveal (another of his 'promises' he hasn't managed to keep).

It also means that he'll be in the same position as Obama in that he'll be forced to compromise more to get his proposed legislation through (thank god).

BTW, 'political prisoner' on the infamous loony site inforwars managed to edit the video of the press conference yesterday. It slowed a section of the video and repeated it to suggest that he hit the female intern on the arm when what actually happened was his hand brushed against her arm as she tried to grab the microphobe. As they didn't bother with keeping the sound you'll miss his immediate apology.

At least one (Democrat) congressman has suggested that this situation was set up deliberately to get rid of this reporter.

Unfortunately the W.H. Press Officer Sarah Huckabee-Sanders put the doctored video up on the WH site to 'explain' why the reporter's press credentials have been removed.

Last edited by Kwacka on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

The US is not alone in having election results which don't match total votes cast. With regard to the US Senate: Republicans increased their seats, but with far less overall votes.

I believe the figure quoted (with 3 States still to declare) was Republicans 41.4%, Democrats 56.9%.

That represented an additional 13 million-plus extra votes for the Democrats.

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

journo wrote:
The US is not alone in having election results which don't match total votes cast. With regard to the US Senate: Republicans increased their seats, but with far less overall votes.

I believe the figure quoted (with 3 States still to declare) was Republicans 41.4%, Democrats 56.9%.

That represented an additional 13 million-plus extra votes for the Democrats.

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

How some people do not see this as a win for the Dems is beyond me. 23 seats needed an actual 33 seats gained plus maybe more when ALL the votes are counted. The Senate went exactly as forecast, there were only 35 seats up for grabs out of the 100, 26 of these were Dem leaving them more open to potential losses. At least Arizona has been flipped to Dems after being a Rep stronghold for the last 30 years. This will definitely rein in the orange pr!ck and he knows that by watching his latest petulant outbursts at the reporters. Votes still being counted so still the potential for changes.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat