Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question » Tenants
Tenants 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 8

If a tenant has not paid rent in 4 months and refuses to leave.
What can the landlord do?
Is it lawyer and court or can he drag the tenant out and change locks?

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

Hi Bob

I'm afraid it's a lawyer and court to secure an eviction order. If the tenant is also not paying electricity and water, the authorities will disconnect the services (which may 'encourage' him/her) to leave.

I had a friend in Limassol whose tenant was not paying the rent, it took two years to get him out.

Regards,

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 8

Thanks Nigel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
tiny
Pictures: 0

nhowarth wrote:
Hi Bob

I'm afraid it's a lawyer and court to secure an eviction order. If the tenant is also not paying electricity and water, the authorities will disconnect the services (which may 'encourage' him/her) to leave.

I had a friend in Limassol whose tenant was not paying the rent, it took two years to get him out.

Regards,

can i ask, did your friend get the money owed in the end or did they lose out on 2 years plus of rent, it seems the undesirables have more rights
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unfortunately tiny the tenants did a runner after trashing the place and taking anything portable with them.

My friend had to pay for the repairs but managed to sell the house.

Regards,

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
tiny

nhowarth wrote:
Unfortunately tiny the tenants did a runner after trashing the place and taking anything portable with them.

My friend had to pay for the repairs but managed to sell the house.

Regards,

b-stards, and i bet they are doing the same to someone else now
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
non paying tenants 
Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
afcman

have tenant hasnt paid rent for 6 months contract ends in may been sent solicitor letter asking to leave property at end of contract and is refusing to leave been informed by solicitor that will take 2-3 years to get eviction and also cost me 4,000 euro fees plus loss of rental income dont have money to pay this anyone with any ideas
Re: non paying tenants 
Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

afcman wrote:
anyone with any ideas

I'm afraid not - the law here is very pro-tenant.

Regards,

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:39 am Reply with quote
davidmonk

I see this thread was started some months ago and I am only just reading this while catching up on the forum; not having visited it for a while.

The question of rogue tenants not paying rent and the time it takes to evict them by going through the courts begs the questions;
1. What is the point of a Tenancy Agreement?
2. Do breaches of the Tenancy Agreement count for anything?

I know things are different in the UK and there are differences between short-term tenants and long-term sitting tenants. In the latter case, it is more difficult to get rid of a sitting tenant.

When a landlord with a buy-to-let property relies on the rental income to pay for the mortgage on the property, then the courts should be on the side of the landlord when there is a breach of contract by the tenant.

If Cyprus law does not respect the clauses in short-term tenancy agreements (12-month agreements) and what the tenant has signed up to, how can the authorities expect landlords to have respect for Cyprus law in general? It makes me angry to think that when it comes to evicting rogue tenants, Cyprus law is not on the side of the landlord.

I have had my fair share of rogue tenants and I am only glad that whilst having lost money in unpaid rent and decoration and repairs to the apartment after they vacated, I have not had the experience of a tenant sitting tight for years on end. In my case, most rogue tenants did a runner, once pressure was put on them to pay, or get out.

David

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
FSB Properties
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

davidmonk wrote:
I see this thread was started some months ago and I am only just reading this while catching up on the forum; not having visited it for a while.

The question of rogue tenants not paying rent and the time it takes to evict them by going through the courts begs the questions;
1. What is the point of a Tenancy Agreement?
2. Do breaches of the Tenancy Agreement count for anything?

I know things are different in the UK and there are differences between short-term tenants and long-term sitting tenants. In the latter case, it is more difficult to get rid of a sitting tenant.

When a landlord with a buy-to-let property relies on the rental income to pay for the mortgage on the property, then the courts should be on the side of the landlord when there is a breach of contract by the tenant.

If Cyprus law does not respect the clauses in short-term tenancy agreements (12-month agreements) and what the tenant has signed up to, how can the authorities expect landlords to have respect for Cyprus law in general? It makes me angry to think that when it comes to evicting rogue tenants, Cyprus law is not on the side of the landlord.

I have had my fair share of rogue tenants and I am only glad that whilst having lost money in unpaid rent and decoration and repairs to the apartment after they vacated, I have not had the experience of a tenant sitting tight for years on end. In my case, most rogue tenants did a runner, once pressure was put on them to pay, or get out.

David

The UK is not much different in terms of whose side the law is on and it is that of the tenant. The landlord is always painted as the 'bad' guy. My last tents in the UK hadn't paid me for 10 months and it took me a further 6 months to get any eviction notice. Admittedly here it can take longer, but from some recent experience it is getting quicker. The idea of the tenancy agreement is so that you can build you case in court for any breaches. With no agreement, the chances are the landlord could just go in a kick you out, if he was that way inclined.

Member of the AIPP.
Tenants 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question