Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » Unique comment on Brexit
Unique comment on Brexit 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote
KIZI
Pictures: 0

A unique comment amongst all the BREXIT controversy; made by a young man - not a politician - on one of the many programmes about BREXIT I've seen recently: he very calmly said...…"the decision to leave or remain in the EU was far too important a decision to put to the people in a referendum, the Government should have decided the issue that's their job"

Now, would that have made everything so much easier?

KIZI
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:58 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

23 Very Happy

........... and TBH, it’s all been argued about before. Probably half a dozen times.

Personally, I can’t think of anything more politically significant than asking the whole of a country’s electorate for their opinion on a major issue. In the U.K. it’s happened so rarely. Three times?

No doubt this will ignite another flame war but it’s spilt milk. Sad

And.......... there’s nothing unique about that comment. Wink

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

Certainly nothing unique in that!

Indeed, I seem to recall some, obviously, very wise person talking about the folly of allowing 'the dense population of the UK' to make such an important and, ultimately, calamitous decision!! Cool

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote
kanebill

What difference does it make if the government of the day or the people made the decision to leave?

Do not answer. It is a rhetorical Question

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

We vote and elect a Government to make to make decisions of National importance to the Country.

At the time of the Brexit vote the Government of the day advised to remain.

Going to war with another Country and in my opinion more important, but do they ask the people or do they declare War without asking.

Don't answer it's rhetorical. Wink Question

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

kanebill wrote:
What difference does it make if the government of the day or the people made the decision to leave?

Do not answer. It is a rhetorical Question

No, not so much 'rhetorical' as 'ridiculous' as the "government of the day" wanted to remain, but abdicated their democratic responsibility!! Twisted Evil

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Mr Tibbs wrote:
..............No doubt this will ignite another flame war...................

See what I mean?
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Laughing

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

mouse wrote:
We vote and elect a Government to make to make decisions of National importance to the Country.

Going to war with another Country and in my opinion more important, but do they ask the people or do they declare War without asking.

The EU Referendum was a Manifesto commitment. They got into government on the basis of it.

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

Mr Tibbs wrote:
mouse wrote:

The EU Referendum was a Manifesto commitment. They got into government on the basis of it.

But they still advised to remain in the EU.

I think they would have won the election anyway, had nothing to beat.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

mouse wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
mouse wrote:

But they still advised to remain in the EU.

I think they would have won the election anyway, had nothing to beat.

It doesn’t matter. The referendum was a manifesto commitment. And - FWIW - they got in on quite a slender majority (12 seats) which at the time was credited to it. What you or I think all these years later is irrelevant. What they advised in the subsequent campaign is irrelevant. The die was cast.

Isn’t this fun? Rolling Eyes

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
lethargicinlarnaca

Woodrow Why?at wrote:

Indeed, I seem to recall some, obviously, very wise person talking about the folly of allowing 'the dense population of the UK' to make such an important and, ultimately, calamitous decision!! Cool

And that obviously very wise person hasn't the wisdom to understand that the decision to leave the European Union, good or bad was not made by 'the' dense population of the UK but by the supposed intelligentsia who were not bright or motivated enough to actually shift their xxxxx and cast their vote, for better or for worse at a Polling Place/Station.

What was it someone once said about good men doing nothing and allowing whatever it was to conquer, 28% of the eligible UK voting population decided that they would do nothing. Attribute the result, good or bad to them.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

It was a manifesto commitment in the previous election too (which they also won) - what happened to that?

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Kwacka wrote:
It was a manifesto commitment in the previous election too (which they also won) - what happened to that?

They certainly reneged on the EU Constitution referendum? Sorry, that should read the Lisbon Treaty of course. Which was something completely different. I think on the basis that it was a done-deal.

I'm not sure what your point is Kwacka. Confused They promised a referendum in 2015 and held one.

Think I'll stop holding my arm up and saying it hurts on this one. Wink After all, like buses, it, or a lot of others pretty similar, will surely be along again soon. Rolling Eyes

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

lethargicinlarnaca wrote:
Woodrow Why?at wrote:

And that obviously very wise person hasn't the wisdom to understand that the decision to leave the European Union, good or bad was not made by 'the' dense population of the UK but by the supposed intelligentsia who were not bright or motivated enough to actually shift their xxxxx and cast their vote, for better or for worse at a Polling Place/Station.

What was it someone once said about good men doing nothing and allowing whatever it was to conquer, 28% of the eligible UK voting population decided that they would do nothing. Attribute the result, good or bad to them.

Well, if I may answer for that very wise person(!) may I observe that he always had the wisdom to believe that in a democracy the population votes for a Government and, naturally, expects that elected Government to use it's expertise to make decisions that are best for the Country!

Sadly, in this instance, the Tories did what the Tories do best and, afraid of UKIP, did what they thought was best for the Tory party!

Consequently, I would suggest (as I imagine would any other very wise person) that this absolute mess the UK finds itself in, is not the fault of the 28% of those who didn't vote - or even the similar percentage of the country who voted leave - but the fault of the Tory Government who allowed themselves to be intimidated by the rantings of Nigel Farage and his one dimensional political party! Cool Down

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
clive of payia

I wonder what the unelected response would be if the UK turned Brexit around and asked the EU to make the UK an offer to Remain!

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

As far as I recall, the Eu states and Commission have said that they regret the decision to leave.

It is the UK's decision to leave, and would be the UK's decision to request to stay in the union - for anyone else to request the UK to stay would be perceived as inappropriate interference by an external body.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:55 am Reply with quote
PatCon

mouse wrote:

I never ask rhetorical questions. Why should I? Laughing

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

What's a rhetorical question?

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Kwacka wrote: