Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » Prostate Cancer Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Prostate Cancer 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Larryand Sue
Pictures: 0

Devil's posting re new treatments, got me to thinking how many men of a certain age have this condition. We are all different but it may be good to share ideas and experiences.

I am 65 years old and 18 months ago following PSA tests and prostate measurements was advised to get a full exam. I had digital rectal examinations and a 12 point biopsy. This showed low level cancer with a Gleason score of 6. It was decided that active monitoring was the way to go. PSA scores over the months never exceeded 6, but at the year point my urologist thought it time for further tests. I had a prostate specific MRI, followed by a 19 point biopsy concentrating on the expected lesion showed by the MRI.
This showed a progression to a 3-4 cancer. I have now had a full body MRI and a full body bone scan.......What to do now (or at least once I have the definitive results) ??
I am not really looking for medical advice, just thought it may help to share experiences.

Last edited by Larryand Sue on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: Prostate Cancer 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Larryand Sue wrote:
Following Devil's erroneous posting re new treatments, got me to thinking how many men of a certain age have this condition. We are all different but it may be good to share ideas and experiences.

I am 65 years old and 18 months ago following PSA tests and prostate measurements was advised to get a full exam. I had digital rectal examinations and a 12 point biopsy. This showed low level cancer with a Gleason score of 6. It was decided that active monitoring was the way to go. PSA scores over the months never exceeded 6, but at the year point my urologist thought it time for further tests. I had a prostate specific MRI, followed by a 19 point biopsy concentrating on the expected lesion showed by the MRI.
This showed a progression to a 3-4 cancer. I have now had a full body MRI and a full body bone scan.......What to do now (or at least once I have the definitive results) ??
I am not really looking for medical advice, just thought it may help to share experiences.

Sorry to hear this
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

It is good to share experiences as it helps others.
I have been having prostate checks for quite a few years now including a biopsy

I certainly have an enlarged prostate which is being treated by one tablet a day.
I have PSA blood tests every 4 to 6 months and the readings vary between around 7.5 to 11.5
The thing is the reading go up and the readings come down and then the same happens again. My urologist says that it is when the readings go up and continue rising that we may have to look at other options.

But for now we are keeping check on things..

Trev..
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:04 am Reply with quote
devil
Pictures: 1

I was diagnosed in 1995, so my knowledge is probably dated. However, both my urologist and oncologist, at the time, impressed upon me that any PSA readings over four, particularly if rising, require further investigation. I'm afraid that the facts and figures at that time have largely disappeared into the mists of time, but I do remember that the official PSA reading was 29.5, which had the alarm bells ringing although it may also have been due partially to a urinary infection.

It was also impressed upon me that PSA tests should not be done in the 48 hours after sexual activity or after physical activities that may apply pressure to the groin area, such as cycling.(Sexual activity? I've forgotten what that is! Smile)

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

trevnhil wrote:
It is good to share experiences as it helps others.
I have been having prostate checks for quite a few years now including a biopsy

I certainly have an enlarged prostate which is being treated by one tablet a day.
I have PSA blood tests every 4 to 6 months and the readings vary between around 7.5 to 11.5
The thing is the reading go up and the readings come down and then the same happens again. My urologist says that it is when the readings go up and continue rising that we may have to look at other options.

But for now we are keeping check on things..

Trev..

Not about cancer as such. So far so good here. Although they do say that a lot of us tend to die with it, rather than of it.

Trev, do you take Tamsulosin (Flowmax)?

Iíve been on it for some years. If I want a reminder of the real situation I just need to stop taking it for a couple of days. Shocked

This new REZUM treatment sounds good. The alternative TURP is quite invasive and painful for some time (so Iím told) and can have unpleasant side effects.

A bonus to the Alpha blockers is that they also reduce blood pressure significantly. Thus, in the early days, their advice to take it late at night and not stand up too quickly (fainting). Very Happy

https://www.healthline.com/health/enlarged-prostate/treatment

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
hatzyian
Pictures: 10

A regular PSA check is a good thing for men.

I had no problems apart from the 'normal' over 65 things.

At a health day, blood tests were being offered reduced price, so I had a full blood test including PSA. The PSA came back 18, so a course of antibiotics was recommended. A month of natural antibiotics got it to 17, then full antibiotics to about 16.5. So off to a urologist for a deeper check. I ended up with a biopsy which showed medium cancer of the prostate. So then it was MRI, bone scan, and chest XRay. Thankfully they were all clear.

So, what to do, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or prostate removal. I didn't fancy the radio or chemo, so booked in for the prostatectomy. Before that a cardiologist report needed. The normal ecg was fine, but the 'stress' test (treadmill) showed a possible partial blocked artery. Off to Nicosia for an angiogram.........two stents and 3 balloons later I was 'fixed'.

Now no opp for a month after the stents fitted, so now due next week.

So it goes to show,....... no problems, fairly fit, not overweight, non smoker, not a big drinker, and was on my way to a heart attack. If I hadn't had that PSA test, who knows.

If you can't be good, be careful
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

hatzyian wrote:
A regular PSA check is a good thing for men.

I had no problems apart from the 'normal' over 65 things.

At a health day, blood tests were being offered reduced price, so I had a full blood test including PSA. The PSA came back 18, so a course of antibiotics was recommended. A month of natural antibiotics got it to 17, then full antibiotics to about 16.5. So off to a urologist for a deeper check. I ended up with a biopsy which showed medium cancer of the prostate. So then it was MRI, bone scan, and chest XRay. Thankfully they were all clear.

So, what to do, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or prostate removal. I didn't fancy the radio or chemo, so booked in for the prostatectomy. Before that a cardiologist report needed. The normal ecg was fine, but the 'stress' test (treadmill) showed a possible partial blocked artery. Off to Nicosia for an angiogram.........two stents and 3 balloons later I was 'fixed'.

Now no opp for a month after the stents fitted, so now due next week.

So it goes to show,....... no problems, fairly fit, not overweight, non smoker, not a big drinker, and was on my way to a heart attack. If I hadn't had that PSA test, who knows.

Iíve been sat at a 4 man table in the expat club and been the only one with a prostate. All had the op years ago and fitness-wise put me to shame. One actually had it done in India, where he said he got 5* treatment throughout in an ultra modern clinic.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
devil

hatzyian wrote:

So, what to do, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or prostate removal. I didn't fancy the radio or chemo, so booked in for the prostatectomy.

Sorry to hear that you have joined the club. The choice of treatment is largely according to the advice of your urologist and possibly radiologist. For something as serious as this, I suggest you get a second opinion on the treatment.

If you go for a prostatectomy, you have the choice between the "saving" and "radical" methods. With the former, you have a good chance of maintaining a reasonable sexual function. With the latter, you are unlikely to have erections. The radical method will most likely give you the longest remission because there is more chance of a cancerous cell being missed with the saving method of ablation. This will also depend on where your tumour is situated within the gland. Only your surgeon will be able to advise you.

I had radiotherapy on the advice of both my oncologist and urologist and it gave me 18 years of total remission and I am now currently on hormone treatment but it is beginning to show signs of losing its effect. It is possible that I may have to go on to chemotherapy within the next year.

I'm very surprised that you even considered chemotherapy at this stage; it is usually considered a last resort method of treating prostate cancer that has not metabolised after all other treatments have failed.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
hatzyian

The chemo and radio were mentioned by my urologist, who was against both.

He advised the radical, as grade 2 cancer, and its best to ensure that it gets cleared up.

He seems to know what he is talking about and has been very good with explanations and advice.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
trevnhil

Mr Tibbs. Sorry for delay in replying. The tablet I take every day is called Alfuzosin Aurobindo. But it certainly allows a better flow.. Smile

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

trevnhil wrote:
Mr Tibbs. Sorry for delay in replying. The tablet I take every day is called Alfuzosin Aurobindo. But it certainly allows a better flow.. Smile

Flow is very important to me. Especially over Saturday night/Sunday morning! Embarassed Very Happy

Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Larryand Sue

My raised PSA level was picked on my annual medical. I didn't have any symptoms (and still don't) . Prostate cancer is a major killer of men and a check is both simple and cheap. Even if the PSA level is raised it need not be cancer, but it must be worth a check!

Post: #13   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

It is indeed worth a check, and a blood test could not be simpler ..

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

trevnhil wrote:
It is indeed worth a check, and a blood test could not be simpler ..

Although, there seems to be an increasing school of thought that the PSA test is unreliable, leading to unnecessary biopsies, which I believe in itself can precipitate the very thing it seeks to find.

https://www.harvardprostateknowledge.org/is-psa-reliable

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Larryand Sue

Mr Tibbs wrote:

Although, there seems to be an increasing school of thought that the PSA test is unreliable, leading to unnecessary biopsies, which I believe in itself can precipitate the very thing it seeks to find.

A high PSA reading does not automatically lead to a biopsy. There will be a digital rectal examination and a prostate specific MRI test to consider. Treatment is developing all of the time.

The link posted is the blunt end of a decade old.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Larryand Sue wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:

A high PSA reading does not automatically lead to a biopsy. There will be a digital rectal examination and a prostate specific MRI test to consider. Treatment is developing all of the time.

My apologies. There are a number of such links, I just selected the top one. There does seem to be consensus on the fact that the PSA test can be misleading. Moreover, one member here has posted of his transition from test to antibiotics to biopsy. In the UK my BiL went from test to biopsy at the QE in Kings Lynne.

Research into a better method of identifying those at risk is ongoing - as you point out - with some promising results.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
devil

Larryand Sue wrote:

I agree. As long ago as 1995, a high PSA test led to at least three other tests before a biopsy was performed. To have a biopsy done based only on a PSA test would be the height of folly.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
hatzyian

Quite agree LarryandSue, and Devil.

My high PSA, 18, process was

'Natural' antibiotics (alternative medicine and medical Dr)
'Medical' antibiotics (medical Dr)
Ultrasound (Urologist)
'Digital' feel (Urologist)
After the 'digital' and ultrasound exam, with the prostate enlarged and also nodules found, it was time for the biopsy.

A high PSA is not necessarily cancer, it could be an infection, hence the antibiotics before anything else.

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
rigor

Firstly I am sorry to hear about your condition however there are options. You can receive the standard treatments. However there are some new and proven treatments with possibly less severe side affects.

In Cyprus we are fortunate that the German Oncology Centre offers high intensity brachytherapy. This is performed by Dr. Zampoglou who pioneered this treatment in Germany over the past 20 years and now offers the same in Cyprus. In my view they are excellent.

Alternatively you can opt for NanoKnife which is offered by Prof. Michael K. Stehling - Offenbach - Prostate Cancer Clinic in Germany. He has excellent results with virtually no side effects. The NHS also offers this treatment. This seems to one of the less invasive and still effective treatments.

There is also HIFU treatment which works for certain conditions of prostate cancer without the side effects.

You can still perform the standard treatments if for some reason NanoKnife or HIFU fail.

There is great deal of information on these treatments. Do your own research. Many doctors are not in favour of these but it depends on the grade of the cancer and if the doctors are well informed about these new treatments - many are not.

Clearly new treatments options are coming but unfortunately may take some time.

I hope this helps and best wishes.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #20   PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
hatzyian

Just an update.

I went into Ygia Polyclinic in Limassol for my radical prostatectomy just over a month ago. The opp was well done and the service in the hospital was very good. I was due to be discharged within the week, but then had another heart 'event' and had two more stents fitted. Of course then it was a balance of not letting the blood get too thin to cause bleeding and thin enough not to block the arteries. Finally home after 2 weeks 'inside'.

Now had all the 'tubes' removed, and it's time to relearn bladder control. Apparently this can take many months, and friends have said that even after several years, an 'accident' can still happen.

Just for interest to others in this situation, I have bought several pairs of underwear from Confitex.co.uk, and found them excellent.

Prostate Cancer 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines