Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues » Video, can this be shown?
Video, can this be shown? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
David100
Pictures: 0

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone could give me some guidance .

I paid someone in cash ( A company), later finding out that he the owner did not pay his VAT. He has refused to give me receipts for the money.

I have a video of our conversation, He tells me on this video that he did not pay his VAT and that he did not put the money though his company and that is why he can't give me a receipt.

Hi is now claiming that I did not pay him.

Can I show the police or the Vat or even load the video on to Facebook for everyone to see ??

Regards

David
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:02 am Reply with quote
PatCon

Hi David. I guess your info is to vague for us to consider your next action. What item did you buy? Why do you need a receipt? If we are talking big money, you can threaten to report him to the VAT officers. Otherwise tell him to pi$$-off. Remember if you buy in the knowledge that the vendor is not charging you VAT, you could be made liable to pay the VAT yourself.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 am Reply with quote
David100

The money ( 3000)was for windows and yes I do need the receipts.

I paid him in full in cash, I didn't know he was avoiding his vat, he told me when I asked him for a receipt at the end. we had major problems with these windows, they all leaked.

I videoed him because I didn't trust him anymore and on this video he explains to me that he did not pay the vat and put the money though his books for me to get a cheaper price .

Now I have asked for a full refund he has told me that I did not pay him at all.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
PatCon

David, if you have proof that he does not charge and pay in the VAT, you should demand your money back for shoddy work and threaten him with reporting him to the VAT dept. Believe me, they take it very seriously - even more than the income tax people do. A woman once phoned me and asked if we had recently had a plumber who did some work for us. She was from the VAT and asked me for the plumber's name and how much he charged and did he charge VAT. I didn't want to tell her but she said I would have to tell her, otherwise I would have to pay his VAT. I told her the name!

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
David100

I have said that I will go to court if he doesn't return my money and then I will report him to the VAT.

As I stated now because I said that he says I did not pay him.
He says his lawyer says that in cyprus I can not use a taped conversation without informing him I was doing it.
But this is a video, does that change things?? I want to put it on face book to show what kind of person this is.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

There are some regulations regarding videoing people in Cyprus but I am
not sure what they are. I recall in a recent case involving a Russian man
the police forced him to remove CCTV cameras.

You would have to weigh up whether they are likely to take legal action against
you or call the police against what you can achieve.

Cheers

Steve

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
tiny

if i was you, try to speak to him again, pointing out the problems and if that still doesnt resolve it, then unfortunately i think you are better to just give up and take a loss, yes i know it was a lot of money and i would be the same as you, why should he/they get away with it,

can i ask was it an english or cypriot builder?,,,,,, as i think that if you did report him and dare i say, you may find if it was a cypriot builder then you may find things happening to your property,,, you you read about it in the CM enough,

hope you get something sorted

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
J B
Location: Shropshire/Staffordshire/Cheshire (UK) and Tala (Paphos) sometimes!

David100 wrote:
I have said that I will go to court if he doesn't return my money and then I will report him to the VAT

Well, if you do, then I suggest that if you .....
David100 wrote:
I want to put it on face book to show what kind of person this is.

that this may be detrimental to your case.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
cansweet
Pictures: 1

As an afterthought just remember they may be reading this too.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:46 am Reply with quote
David100

It is a shop not a builder.
I have tried to speak with him.

I don't want to get him in trouble I just want my money back.
Maybe he doesn't believe me that I videoed our conversation ?

He admits several times that he will get in big trouble if anything is said.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:23 am Reply with quote
FSB Properties
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I think the best advice is to speak to your lawyer about this, perhaps a letter to him may make him think again.

Additionally, if you gave this amount of money with no receipt he could turn it on you and say that you both tried to defraud the vat man!

Take proper legal advice is the way forward, naming and shaming on social media is not going to get you the best result.

Member of the AIPP.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:24 am Reply with quote
UD

In what way are the windows leaking? is just that the frames hadn't been sealed around the outside edges, if its a simple fix then he is unlikely to give you the money back, but should come out and do any repairs required.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Video, can this be shown? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues