Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question » What rights has a committee that has been setup legally
What rights has a committee that has been setup legally 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
chiploi
Pictures: 16

Hi Nigel
Although having a committee for the last 10year we decided that we would make the committee legal. This we have done without a lawyer after you suggested to me that it was unnecessary to do so.
We have always had a problem with one apartment that was never sold, rented out by the developer, no payment has been made for all but one year, when he insisted that the tenant paid.
We have been informed that there are many memos on the property. Our intention was to also put a memo on the property but due to not having a legal committee at this time a lawyer would not carry this out due to the committee not being legal.
To do this every owner except the one in question submitted when asked a copy of passport and a latest utility bill,
Since February we have a letting agency turn up to say that the property has been sold to a lady in Jordon and all dealings would be done by him with the owners approval. The developer had stripped the place of everything including air-conditioning, cooker and sink leaving just the shell.
The new letting agent replaced everything and had two ladies from a Spar move in. These tenants have been no problem, being quiet and respect full
To complete the the full contingent of owners within our committee I have asked the agent for the relevant pages of the contract of sale, a copy of the owners passport and also a copy of the Power of Attorney. To this he refused saying that he cannot give this information to me under the Data Protection act.
If I wanted this information it would have to be through a lawyer paid by the owners.
I was thinking that maybe the property was still under the ownership of the developer.
We now have no choice but to have a lawyer do a search on the property and this is being carried out at this moment. This does mean we have to employ a lawyer at a cost which to me seems unnecessary.
The reason I brought this up Nigel is to ask what powers a legal committee has. Anyone could take control of an empty property and rent it out and when asked for the rights they have, say they have Power of Attorney and refuse to show proof of this

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

Hi Roy

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say that you have made the committee legal but the lawyer will not put a memo on the debtor property this time because you do not have a legal committee?

As for thhe rights and obligations of the committee, you'll find details at
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

The only person who can rent a property is its owner, but they can appoint someone to act on their behalf under a Power of Attorney. But that Power of Attorney would not be responsible for paying the communal charges. And regardless of whether the rental agreement obliges the tenant to pay the communal charges, responsibility for their payment rests with the owner.

Regards,

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:25 am Reply with quote
snoutintrough
Pictures: 0

My understanding is that you can't put a memo on a property unless you have title deeds. Is this correct?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
chiploi

nhowarth wrote:
Hi Roy

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say that you have made the committee legal but the lawyer will not put a memo on the debtor property this time because you do not have a legal committee?

Thanks for your reply Nigel.
When I bought the property being the only one living in the complex and i needed to get the necessary payments made. To do this I opened a bank account in mine and the next door neigbours name (who was living in the UK) as a temporary means to hold and paying out money. All the other owners were not interested in meeting up to form what I call a legal committee. I was informed that I cannot open a Committee account and utility bills will not be put in to a committee account until I can show proof of a AGM with minutes and proof of identity of owners.
With information gained from this forum we set up a 'legal committee' with proxies. This meant that although we had 5 owners, it only needed to have 2 present with others submitting proxies.

When going to a lawyer to put a memo on one of the properties, I was informed that as it was not a legal committee and this could not be done, but first of all they would guide us through this process at a price.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hi Roy

Providing you followed the procedure for

- and have all the documentary evidence, your committee is legal (and the bank must have accepted this otherwise it would not have allowed you to open a bank account.)

If you have followed the correct procedure for setting a committee I don't understand why a lawyer has said that it's not legal?

I suggest you approach another lawyer - preferably one on the

BTW you should have a rubber stamp made bearing the name of the committee and use it to stamp all documents.

Regards,

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

snoutintrough wrote:
you can't put a memo on a property unless you have title deeds. Is this correct?

You don't need the deeds but the property you're looking to place a memo against has to have Title Deeds.

Regards,

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
snoutintrough
Pictures: 0

Thanks Nigel

Chiploi, do your apartments have title deeds? If not, how are going to memo on your properties?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
chiploi

nhowarth wrote:
Hi Roy

If you have followed the correct procedure for setting a committee I don't understand why a lawyer has said that it's not legal?

Sorry Nigel. I obviously have not explained it properly.
This was before we had setup the committee properly and we wanted to add a memo to a property. At this time the lawyer wanted to setup the committee for us but you had advised us against this and we set it up ourselves saving about 250 euro

BTW you should have a rubber stamp made bearing the name of the committee and use it to stamp all documents.

We have already done this.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
chiploi

nhowarth wrote:
snoutintrough wrote:
you can't put a memo on a property unless you have title deeds. Is this correct?

You don't need the deeds but the property you're looking to place a memo against has to have Title Deeds.

Regards,

I can't understand this Nigel
If we are on the same complex none of the apartments would have title deeds
If this is the case we can not put a memo on a property on the same complex if we do not have title deeds?

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hi snoutintrough

That's not the question you asked. "My understanding is that you can't put a memo on a property unless you have title deeds. Is this correct?"

The person wanting to place a memo on a property does not need to have Title Deeds.

But the property that person is looking to place a memo against has to have Title Deeds.

The question you need to ask is does the property Roy is looking to place a memo against have Title Deeds?

Even if you're on the same development it doesn't mean that none of the properties have deeds.

Also, I don't believe Roy wants to put a memo on his properties - he wants to put them on someone else. (You asked - "Chiploi, do your apartments have title deeds? If not, how are going to memo on your properties?")

Regards,

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:28 am Reply with quote
sunnysuzie
Pictures: 6

Hi,

We are looking to put a memo on a property on our complex, to my knowledge all owners had title deeds, it has turned out the one property we want to put a memo on she never applied for her deeds (lawyer told us this), the complex is 30 years old. I wonder if she has slipped through the net, and am going to try and get hold of the developer to see if he realises. She has also been to court for another matter that accrued costs. If she doesn't actually own the property then who is liable for any debts she runs up? She seems to know the cypriot legal system inside out.

Thanks

Sue

Post: #12   PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hi Sue

What the developer needs to do is apply for the Title Deed to be transferred under the provisions of the 'trapped buyer' law.

As the property already has a deed the process should not take to long. And even if the woman refuses to pay Property Transfer Fees, these will be lodged as a claim against the property.

Then you can instruct a lawyer to obtain a court order to lodge a claim against the property for her unpaid debts (plus legal expenses and court charges.)

Regards

Post: #13   PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
sunnysuzie
Pictures: 6

Hi Nigel

Thank you, very helpful.

Our lawyer (who I think are useless) are suggesting criminal proceedings as she already has a court order for a payment scheme which she is not sticking to. Our next step was a memo where it has come to light it is still in the developers name.

I have also emailed the developer.

Thanks again

Sue
What rights has a committee that has been setup legally 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question