Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » The Boot Room » VAR Goto page 1, 2  Next
VAR 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:25 am Reply with quote
Blossom
Pictures: 0

Re VAR, for me its killing the game, Harry Kane in the game against Tunisia , was slam dunked twice, the defender grappled him better then some wrestlers, no sniff of a penalty? last night a penalty was awarded to Iran after the ball was headed on to the defenders arm from one foot away, never a penalty in a million years, not to mention the time it takes, breaking the flow of the game, also I think the referees will take the easy way, and rely on VAR for their decisions. also Ronaldo should of seen red last night, although he didnt fully connect with his forearm, the intent was there... my opinion what do you think?

Last edited by Blossom on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: VAR 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:42 am Reply with quote
J B
Location: Shropshire/Staffordshire/Cheshire (UK) and Tala (Paphos) sometimes!

Blossom wrote:
... my opinion what do you think?

It just gves the pundits something else to talk about
The cr4p refs
Now the cr4p VAR
It saves them having to talk about the game!!! Laughing

Nice to hear Zabaleta last night, berating VAR for no clamping down on cheats.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
bubblechris

There's nothing wrong with VAR which cannot be ironed out. Imo the video ref should be allowed to notify the ref if any and every illegal incident.

I think currently their powers are limited but they should have been able to point out the Panama holding before it ruined the game. Likewise yesterdays first Uruguyan goal I feel merited being ruled out for the way the Uruguyan pushed a defender to make a clear gap for the free kick.

It works and could work well and eventually wipe out all bad sportsmanship that is infecting the game.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
Blossom

bubblechris wrote:
There's nothing wrong with VAR which cannot be ironed out. Imo the video ref should be allowed to notify the ref if any and every illegal incident.

I think currently their powers are limited but they should have been able to point out the Panama holding before it ruined the game. Likewise yesterdays first Uruguyan goal I feel merited being ruled out for the way the Uruguyan pushed a defender to make a clear gap for the free kick.

It works and could work well
Code:
and eventually wipe out all bad sportsmanship that is infecting the game

the Sportsmanship has got worse with VAR, most of the panel agreed last night?..the ref already has the power to deal with diving and acting,.....It will make referees become lazy as they know they have a fallback if they get the decision wrong....it also holds play up far too much.
Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

Blossom wrote:
Re VAR, for me its killing the game, Harry Kane in the game against Tunisia , was slam dunked twice, the defender grappled him better then some wrestlers, no sniff of a penalty? last night a penalty was awarded to Iran after the ball was headed on to the defenders arm from one foot away, never a penalty in a million years, not to mention the time it takes, breaking the flow of the game, also I think the referees will take the easy way, and rely on VAR for their decisions. also Ronaldo should of seen red last night, although he didnt fully connect with his forearm, the intent was there... my opinion what do you think?

Totally agree with your comments on VAR, but I didn`t think Ronaldo even warranted a yellow let alone a red. The tackle Pique did was definitely a red IMHO, but once again VAR failed badly. But as BC said I think that these flaws can be ironed out and it will be good for the game once they are.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
Blossom

sugarray1955 wrote:
Blossom wrote:

Totally agree with your comments on VAR, but I didn`t think Ronaldo even warranted a yellow let alone a red. The tackle Pique did was definitely a red IMHO, but once again VAR failed badly. But as BC said I think that these flaws can be ironed out and it will be good for the game once they are.

My concern Sugerray is they have seven experts in the control link and they still get it wrong, I would like it more if it was used only for 50/50 penalty calls for example and not for more general play...

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

bubblechris wrote:

It works and could work well and eventually wipe out all bad sportsmanship that is infecting the game.

Agree with that, it works in Rugby. A few problems at the start, but they were ironed out. Now the correct decisions are made and no arguing.

The problem is the antics of the players. If they argue with the ref after being warned Sin Bin them like they do in Rugby.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
kanebill

My thoughts are that it should be used as in tennis i.e. each team (captain) can have say two VAR reviews each half which they forfeit if wrong but keep if justified. The ref can of course ask at any time as in rugby and also be notified if he misses something major. All VAR reviews to be called for within 5 seconds of the event.

Another point is referee control... if players surround the referee they get yellow carded and if ignored then red. Rugby refs don't get mobbed and have to retreat.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

kanebill wrote:
My thoughts are that it should be used as in tennis i.e. each team (captain) can have say two VAR reviews each half which they forfeit if wrong but keep if justified. The ref can of course ask at any time as in rugby and also be notified if he misses something major. All VAR reviews to be called for within 5 seconds of the event.

Another point is referee control... if players surround the referee they get yellow carded and if ignored then red. Rugby refs don't get mobbed and have to retreat.

Kanebull the problem with allowing teams, say two appeals in each half, is imagine if a team is winning one nil with five minutes to go? they will be appealing for anything just to kill time?

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
kanebill

Blossom wrote:
kanebill wrote:

Kanebull the problem with allowing teams, say two appeals in each half, is imagine if a team is winning one nil with five minutes to go? they will be appealing for anything just to kill time?

Only if they haven't used them. Is that any different from standing at the corner flag or 50 passes in their own half but I take your point. The main thing is that every man and his dog cannot be allowed to shout for a VAR revue every time they take a dive.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Pete The Highwayman
Membership Closed

The technology is there then use it
Pete

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

Would it not be better if it was used as it is in Rugby Matches.. The referee stays on the pitch, and other people off the pitch look at the videos and make a decision..

Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
mouse

trevnhil wrote:
Would it not be better if it was used as it is in Rugby Matches.. The referee stays on the pitch, and other people off the pitch look at the videos and make a decision..

Yes it would.

It works.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

mouse wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Yes it would.

It works.

I thought that's how it was being used in the World Cup? Haven't looked too
hard into it but I would have thought that if those monitoring it saw things
like the blatant holding then they would alert the ref - is that how it
is meant to be used?

Cheers

Steve

Post: #15   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
mouse

Steve - SJD wrote:
mouse wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Yes it would.

It works.

is meant to be used?

Cheers

Steve

It's aim I believe was to see if a goal should be allowed or not, if there was any doubt in the Ref's mind.

And yes it should be the video refs who should have that power. They should relay to the ref their decision.

Last nights ref for the Portugal v Iran game was as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike and he alone went to the VAR and he decided it was a penalty.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

Steve - SJD wrote:
mouse wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Yes it would.

It works.

is meant to be used?

Cheers

Steve
Correct Steve, If they see something, they ask the ref to go and take a look at the pitch side monitor... I think Trev meant in Rugby the man in the monitor room has the final say

Post: #17   PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

mouse wrote:
Steve - SJD wrote:
mouse wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Yes it would.

It works.

is meant to be used?

Cheers

Steve

It's aim I believe was to see if a goal should be allowed or not, if there was any doubt in the Ref's mind.

And yes it should be the video refs who should have that power. They should relay to the ref their decision.

Last nights ref for the Portugal v Iran game was as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike and he alone went to the VAR and he decided it was a penalty.

Ah right thanks - didn't see last nights match and see what your saying.

Cheers

Steve
Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

Blossom wrote:
sugarray1955 wrote:
Blossom wrote:

My concern Sugerray is they have seven experts in the control link and they still get it wrong, I would like it more if it was used only for 50/50 penalty calls for example and not for more general play...

Totally with you on that one.

Post: #19   PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

The grudge lives on:

Post: #20   PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
bubblechris

Still like VAR but I'm not sure that the video can refer all incidents to the video ref. Apart from the wrestling v Panama and the flattening of Kane v Tunisia the video ref kept quiet when 2 Uruguay players pushed an opponent out of the way at a free kick from which they scored.

The haranguing of the ref has to be dealt with immediately. Unfortunately FIFA have proved yet again to be incompetent.
VAR 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » The Boot Room