Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » Cat Problem
Cat Problem 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:26 am Reply with quote
jb1
Pictures: 0

A family has moved next to my friend and their 3 cats are coming into his garden and using it as a toilet. He's just spent a small fortune on artificial grass and updating the area and now it smells strongly of cat urine. Are there any products he can buy to deter the cats from using the area as a litter tray? It's very unpleasant to sit on the patio now because of the smell. The neighbours say there's nothing they can do to stop them. Joyce
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
devil
Pictures: 1

How about a large dog? OK, you might have other problems Smile

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
Smoke

Hi
Try scattering orange peel around, cats hate the smell of orange apparently.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
PatCon

Many people think that the strong, obnoxious smell from cats is urine. In fact it is the marker sprayed only by the tomcat to define its territory and attract females. You get this when neglectful owners don't have their male cats castrated. Assuming the cat is feral, your best bet is a cat trap. Put paper on its floor and a trail of cat food to the release plate. Make sure you catch the right cat (!) and release it somewhere far away near restaurants where it will scavenge for food. Don't worry, tomcats will always survive, especially feral ones.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
JonandGaynor

Read the op PatCon, new neighbours with 3 cats moved in, no mention of feral toms and I doubt the new neighbours would be happy about their pets being trapped and released miles away.
Although, as I detest cats, maybe not a bad suggestion after all Wink

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
CyprusForMe
Location: Having escaped the near-death experience of Sofia Bulgaria, happily living in Frenaros

Can't help with deterring the cats from coming into your yard, but I can tell you that the only thing I have found that will get rid of the smell from the urine is Vanish. As a cat owner, I love this product. I use it when I wash the bedding for my cats and have even used it to clean up an accident in a cloth-lined suitcase. For the grass, I recommend that you mix up the vanish powder in a big bucket of water and spray it all over your artificial grass. Let it sit for an hour or two and then hose it all down.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Does the garden have a fence/wall around it. If you put a tight wire/string just above the surface attached to screws will deter cats and do them no harm as they do not like touching it. Used this for years and seldom get cats or birds sitting or worse on wall/fence. If you stretch it really tight it can hum/buzz in the wind which is also a deterrent.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
jb1

I will pass on your comments, thank you. The neighbour said all cats have been neutered. My friend has just put a new fence up and he's attached pigeon spikes to stop them climbing over but it doesn't seen to be working. The neighbour said to throw water if he saw his cats in his garden but they seem to be using it during the night so difficult to catch them! He's just trying to find a safe way to deter them.Joyce

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
bowie

We got a water spray it atached to the hose pipe and would just spray water when a cat walks past it was very good can't remember the name but have a look on Amazon ,also white vinegar will get rid of Tom cat smells I just put some in a spray bottle with water ,,,

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:45 am Reply with quote
browney2653

Can't give a solution for the artificial grass area but if there are flower beds, cover the earth with decorative stones. This will stop the cats using the earth as their toilet. I have done this along with stones in potted plants and now they go elsewhere.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:24 am Reply with quote
Petros

We have cats, all neutered. In order to limit them visiting our neighbors gardens to use as loo we have installed 2 large covered cat litter toilets which we clean out daily, they are always well used. Not sure if it solves the problem but it does limit it. You can purchase them from the pet shops locally.
Should feral toms come around we mix biological washing liquid in water and wash down where they have been. The bio wash destroys the enzymes in the toms spray and they tend not to come back. Plus our dog chases any cat visitors away. HTH.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus