Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General » Police speeding campaign underway
Police speeding campaign underway 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Cyprus police began a nationwide campaign to reduce speeding yesterday,
Monday 11th June, as part of its efforts to prevent and reduce serious and
fatal road traffic accidents.

This campaign will run until Sunday June 17th... [
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

]

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

SPEEDING 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
Gerry McMahon
Pictures: 0

So they can all go back to SPEEDING after Sunday the 17th.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

Gerry McMahon wrote:
So they can all go back to SPEEDING after Sunday the 17th.

Laughing yep! That's how Cypriot logic works. Wink

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:53 am Reply with quote
JIM
Pictures: 6

I got caught speeding (the first time in my life) going to a local beach as I do most days, this is hard to explain but I came off a duel carriage way 65kph onto a new duel carriage way 50kph, it makes no sense as the new road is totally void of any buildings, just the usual Cypriot scrubland.

Obviously it is just a catch penny for Cypriot authorities, OK you might say fair cop, but why are these plods not in villages when you see kids on motor bikes speeding with no insurance or indeed helmets, also no exhaust either, trucks flat our with kids playing on the same roads, so where are they, unfortunately it is so easy to get the cash by hiding be hide large vehicles with there new toy speed guns to get you!

I paid up the next day, no problems with doing that, but I would rather the money went to a much needed animal charity that some Cypriot none descript.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:15 am Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Totally agree. My only speeding fine was some years ago when a truck entered the motorway with no indication and I swerved round it quickly and accelerated to 120. Plot was under the bridge in the shade and tried to flag me down but as it was at a junction I parked some 100 metres further on to avoid danger. Ticket issued but asked to take it to SBA to pay so asked for other ways and eventually sent a cheque. Achieved nothing except even more contempt for SBA who showed no interest in why I overtook that way.must have travelled a very short distance speeding but no interest in discussion.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

JIM wrote:
I got caught speeding (the first time in my life) going to a local beach as I do most days, this is hard to explain but I came off a duel carriage way 65kph onto a new duel carriage way 50kph, it makes no sense as the new road is totally void of any buildings, just the usual Cypriot scrubland.

Obviously it is just a catch penny for Cypriot authorities, OK you might say fair cop, but why are these plods not in villages when you see kids on motor bikes speeding with no insurance or indeed helmets, also no exhaust either, trucks flat our with kids playing on the same roads, so where are they, unfortunately it is so easy to get the cash by hiding be hide large vehicles with there new toy speed guns to get you!

I paid up the next day, no problems with doing that, but I would rather the money went to a much needed animal charity that some Cypriot none descript.

They would have to work too hard, plus of course they would probably be stopping a Cousin or Nephew. Plus of course the Cypriot logic.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
madmum

SensibleBob wrote:
Totally agree. My only speeding fine was some years ago when a truck entered the motorway with no indication and I swerved round it quickly and accelerated to 120. Plot was under the bridge in the shade and tried to flag me down but as it was at a junction I parked some 100 metres further on to avoid danger. Ticket issued but asked to take it to SBA to pay so asked for other ways and eventually sent a cheque. Achieved nothing except even more contempt for SBA who showed no interest in why I overtook that way.must have travelled a very short distance speeding but no interest in discussion.

So SBA police do issue fines?? I always ignore them & see them often on motorway but told only have authority on bases. other motorist dont seem to worry about them but then dont slow down when see a normal police car either

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
JonandGaynor

I was once told the SBA Police are also responsible for patrolling the green line rd. from Vrysoulles to the motorway, is this correct?

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
bromerzz

The SBA Police have authority to issue fines on any roads within the SBA area. That includes well known local landmark areas such as the Dhekelia Coast Road , the "Green Line Road" and the Motorways passing through the SBAs.
Ignore their command to stop at your peril and the old saying -
Ignorance is no excuse for non- compliance.
speeding 
Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
daveoly

They should do it all the time and not say when they are doing it, they might learn not to use the phone when they drive as well as this is why they have too many accidents due to speeding and on their phones.
Dave

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
madmum

bromerzz wrote:
The SBA Police have authority to issue fines on any roads within the SBA area. That includes well known local landmark areas such as the Dhekelia Coast Road , the "Green Line Road" and the Motorways passing through the SBAs.
Ignore their command to stop at your peril and the old saying -
Ignorance is no excuse for non- compliance.

Think it is mostly near dhekelia on motorway we see them & in winter lots of trucks full of troops assume going from 1 base to another
Wouldn’t ignore them anyway. Then takes me long enough to work out which type of police car it is so slow down if see anything with lights on
Do get shouted at by daughter tho who is such a clever little madam & keeps telling me how to tell a paralimni police car from an Ayia Napa 1.
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General