Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Gadget & Techie Corner » MAG boxes?
MAG boxes? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Could somebody please satisfy my curiosity - what is the difference between a MAG TV box and any other Android-based computer?

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:29 am Reply with quote
paul1978
Pictures: 0

performance wise say for running iptv for example. Android system certainly newer devices edge the mag box.

mag based on linux system have designed there boxes purely for itpv but that dont make them better.

informir do have an android based mag box now but having tested it, its no better than a top spec android box to be honest.

Mag boxes also have limited functionality and are not the most user friendly for novice users.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:06 am Reply with quote
bromerzz

Kwaka
I agree with the basics of Pauls posting above, and some comment which may or may not help others.
Generally the entry level user will go for the most simplistic system, as most will be looking for something familiar such as a Sky Tv set top box. That for me would be one of the Infomir MAG boxes and most people refer to them with the coverall term of IPTV boxes.
There are many IPTV providers across Europe and here in Cyprus and because it is internet based you subscribe to content they stream over the net to your individual box and its specific MAC address.
On occasion they have been hit by the authorities and people have lost their service for anything from a few days to permanently. It's a risk people take and the suppliers certainly don't give refunds. Former users of Dreamboxes will have experienced the same thing.
The MAG boxes themselves can be brought perfectly legally from many sources and as a rule the IPTV provider does not care where you get the box from, they supply the subscription setup, you might take your box to them or for some by following instructions on the net.

MAGs's are pretty good for users who have no interest in anything over than wanting to watch, lets say Live UK Tv and Sports channels basically a Sky style package.

Kodi and the various operating systems developed fo its use. Android boxes and under that heading most people tend to lump in anything which uses the Kodi media centre. The Kodi foundation provide or endorse a number of add ons and with a little knowledge you can enable third party add ons made by enthusiasts which as a rule the foundation does not endorse.
I have been a Raspberry pi user for some years and use a mix of Foundation based add ons and third party addons including some I created myself. That interest is waining and the simple attraction of a MAG system, even knowing in advance it can be taken down at any time is fairly attractive.

As for the legality question, It's my view that most users could not care less they are most likely viewing copyright content which may or may not have been licensed for them to watch here in Cyprus. Nor will they care to whom any subscription is paid and what it might fund behind the labelling.

Hopefully I have not drifted too far of the original post.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the info.

I was wondering why certain providers demand that you use an MAG box; I still don't understand why they should do that (other hoping they sell one at an inflated price) when it is only an computer running Kodi - when, as bromerzz says, a Raspberry Pi works fine.

Regarding legality, it's perfectly legal to buy a MAG box (or any other computer) and install KODI on it. If anybody then sticks anything on it to circumvent copyright so you can watch it, they are committing a criminal act.If you put it on yourself you are contravening civil law and (in theory, at least), but I haven't heard of anybody, anywhere, being taken to court by the copyright owners.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
paul1978

so kodi for example is a basic platform, for hosting various codec types for video playback and also has a playlist loader and ovr client to host m3u files.

personally would not run iptv via kodi as it is somewhat slow at loading big lists compared to applications that are designed for that purpose.

siptv.eu is the most popular way to view iptv currently - either via smart tv or android apk

speaking solely from a provider point. some suppliers wont give m3u as so easy to share. granted the line is easy to kill but it has to be done manually.

a set up by mac restricts this as the line is live by device mac.....

hope this clears some what......

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

We have pre-Smart Samsung TV with ethernet connection (and I've doctored a USB wifi stick to con the TV into thinking it's a (very) expensive genuine Samsung USB wifi device) but as it stands it has very packages (e.g. Yahoo weather).

Into that, I've plugged a Raspberry Pi 3 via HDMI cable and KODI on that does everything we need.

Regarding MAC addresses, it's trivial to 'spoof' a device's address, i.e.

Code:
sudo ifconfig enp3s0 down
sudo ifconfig enp3s0 hw ether 12:34:56:78:9A:BC
sudo ifconfig enp3s0up

(12:34:56:78:9A:BC is a new MAC address)

I would imagine it wouldn't be much harder to do it in Windows.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:29 am Reply with quote
bromerzz

Yes spoofing MAC addresses was once the way to go and I used to use IPTV Stalker middleware to run on Kodi, using Pi or on OSX. For me those days are gone now.
MAGs have a love hate relationship with people the same as Api and i for one have never enjoyed Android.
I currently swop between MAG for general Live TV viewing and Rpi and Kodi for various other content.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
paul1978

bromerzz wrote:
Yes spoofing MAC addresses was once the way to go and I used to use IPTV Stalker middleware to run on Kodi, using Pi or on OSX. For me those days are gone now.
MAGs have a love hate relationship with people the same as Api and i for one have never enjoyed Android.
I currently swop between MAG for general Live TV viewing and Rpi and Kodi for various other content.

with regards to android check out the smart iptv app. very nice layout with epg and IMO very user friendly for even a novice user.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
wellerman

i use Smart STB on my lg smart tv and an android box in the bedroom, my supplier is D9TV from the us, with 2 users it is 18 euro a month but gets cheaper the more months you subscribe to, you can have up to 3 devices on any platform, mag, android, smart etc.
i have 20 meg with Primetel and so far has been perfect, very happy, i have a mag box doing nothing so will maybe put a tv outside for the World cup as its only about 3 euro for the extra box for a month.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
MAG boxes? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Gadget & Techie Corner