Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues » Cypriot Citizenship by Naturalization
Cypriot Citizenship by Naturalization 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote
CyprusForMe
Pictures: 0
Location: Having escaped the near-death experience of Sofia Bulgaria, happily living in Frenaros

I currently meet the residency requirements where I can now apply for Cypriot citizenship. I know the costs involved and the documentation required. What I would like to know is what are the obligations and benefits in regards to obtaining Cypriot citizenship. I am too old to have to serve in the military. I know I will be able to vote but that is all I know.

I went to the citizens advisory and asked them and they could not tell me - they told me to ask the man who deals with the citizenship applications. He's not the friendliest fellow so I'd like another source for this information.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
lindask

Hi CyprusForMe I became a Cypriot citizen last year and so far have not noticed any difference in my status here whatsoever ,apart from being able to vote! Everybody has different criteria though-I'm a uk subject married to a Cypriot so I'll still be in the EU after Brexit (whether that's good or bad I'll have to wait & see) Otherwise you'll have the same rights as a Cypriot regarding health care ,employment,education etc. My husband reckons the most important advantage would be if he dies before me ,I wouldn't have the hassle other expats have had here.....
Obligations for Cypriot citizenship?? None that I've come across!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote
CyprusForMe
Location: Having escaped the near-death experience of Sofia Bulgaria, happily living in Frenaros

lindask wrote:
you'll have the same rights as a Cypriot regarding health care ,employment,education etc.

What would my rights for healthcare be, having never contributed to the system here (I am retired early from the USA)? These are the kinds of things I want to find out before I start the application process as I understand the costs involved will be a bit over 1000 euros (I have already spent about $100 get documents apostilled).

I know I will be able to work (which I probably won't do) and vote. That's all I know.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
scottie

CyprusForMe wrote:
lindask wrote:
you'll have the same rights as a Cypriot regarding health care ,employment,education etc.

What would my rights for healthcare be, having never contributed to the system here (I am retired early from the USA)? These are the kinds of things I want to find out before I start the application process as I understand the costs involved will be a bit over 1000 euros (I have already spent about $100 get documents apostilled).

I know I will be able to work (which I probably won't do) and vote. That's all I know.

Your health care question is a tricky one. To a certain extent healthcare is means tested amongst the indigenous population. There seem to be so many different rules , depending on who your speaking to but I don't think you would be entitled at least until Cypriot retirement age.
I took citizenship simply because of the property laws , it dies make life a bit easier in that respect . I did not have to sit the language test but I believe one has to now.
I can't really think of any other advantages , perhaps one , you don't have to pay the huge deposits for , electric , telephone etc
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Cypriot Citizenship by Naturalization 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues