Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Shipping To / From Cyprus » Shipping container costs and the of cost of bringing a van
Shipping container costs and the of cost of bringing a van 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Lou sheps
Pictures: 0

Hi everyone, Im moving to Avgorou Early April and Im looking at the differences of buying furniture, garden equipment, tools, tvs etc out in Cyprus or shipping mine over. I also have a van that i would like to bring as the cost of vehicles in Cyprus is expensive. Its a 2016 mercedes vito.

I am an electrician by trade.

It would be really useful to get others thought and experiences please. Smile
Any help and advice is much appreciated.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Hi again,

You'll probably find mixed opinions on this one - some bring lots of furniture
and others start again from fresh. It also depends on whether you have your
own place or are renting - as many (not all) rented places come with furniture.

When we moved over we just took half a container with boxes of bits &
pieces and stuff for our children. We didn't bring furniture though as we
already had our stuff in Cyprus and just moved our UK stuff to other
properties.

We have a Sponsor that deals with shipping so will be able to give you a quote if that's helpful:
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

If you have your van already then probably better to bring that - you can get
an idea on costs to be paid once the vehicle arrives by contacting Foda.
She's a lady that will deal with all the paperwork and running around if you
don't wish to do that yourself. She's very good and has been recommended
many times:

Hope that helps & good luck with the move!

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Re: Shipping container costs and the of cost of bringing a v 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Saint George

Lou sheps wrote:
Hi everyone, Im moving to Avgorou Early April and Im looking at the differences of buying furniture, garden equipment, tools, tvs etc out in Cyprus or shipping mine over. I also have a van that i would like to bring as the cost of vehicles in Cyprus is expensive. Its a 2016 mercedes vito.

I am an electrician by trade.

It would be really useful to get others thought and experiences please. Smile
Any help and advice is much appreciated.

If you have owned your van for over 12 months you should escape the extortionate import tax. Bring with you the previous 12 months insurance certificate as proof that you have owned the vehicle for that period as from past experience they don't seem to deem the registration document as proof of ownership.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Lou sheps

Thanks both.
Does anyone have any idea of the amount of Tax that is payable on a van please. Itís 2 yr old, Iíve had it from new.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Saint George

Lou sheps wrote:
Thanks both.
Does anyone have any idea of the amount of Tax that is payable on a van please. Itís 2 yr old, Iíve had it from new.

I believe that you should be exempt if you have owned the vehicle for over twelve months, as per my suggestion that you have your previous insurance certificate as proof. I had a company car prior to moving to Cyprus so had to buy one to ship over. The import tax was extortionate as I had not owned it previously sufficiently long enough before we made the move.

As Steve has suggested I would contact Foda, she is an English Cypriot lady based in Larnaca and speaks perfect English, so no communication problems if you speak to her over the phone. She is extremely helpful and is fully up to date with the rules and regs regarding car importation.

Best of luck

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:57 am Reply with quote
carts320
Pictures: 2

From memory vehicles need to have been owned for at least 6 months and have 4 or 6 thousand miles on them (sorry cant remember if its 4 or 6).

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
Berniehammer

Hi All,

you have to own the vehicle for 6 months or more AND have a minimum of 6,000 kilometres (3,700 miles) on the clock.

Cheers.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
dannymarks

so are you saying that if i have owned a vehicle for over a year and have over say 5k on clock i pay no import duties and can just bring the car into the country. only just seen this post by the way. thanks.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail AIM Address Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

There is an online calculator

Someone who has helped a fair few importing vehicles here is Foda, ( a forum sponsor):

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
alanandmaria

Foda is excellent, I have sent a few vehicles now and purchased cars in Cyprus with problems on registration and Foda always gets the job done. And at a reasonable price. Personally I would rather spend my time on the beach or pub rather than trying to register a vehicle. Done it once and decided never again.

Also maybe look at the prices containers make in Cyprus. Maybe buy your own then sell it in Cyprus. I have purchased a few here in UK and they are about £2000 for a as new 1 way ship container. That is what I plan to do
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:14 am Reply with quote
PatCon

An option worth considering is euro-pallets. We moved three big cartons and included our TV, PC, a couple of light chairs and loads of framed pictures and odds and ends in three boxes at very low cost. Nothing broke in transit until I unloaded and dropped the pictures Embarassed

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Shipping To / From Cyprus