Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Gadget & Techie Corner » Wifi Extenders....
Wifi Extenders.... 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
Milschoice04
Pictures: 0

Recommendations please....

My wifi signal strength downstairs works fine...
However, there seems to be a lot of buffering on TV upstairs....

I have been told that a wireless extender might solve the problem...
Have looked on Amazon but not sure which of the products listed... e.g. wall plugs, ethernet cable etc. is relevant.....

Any recommendations/suggestion in "simple idiot speak dialogue" would be greatly appreciated....

Mils

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
mark
Pictures: 2

Hi Mils,

I would recommend this:

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Why? Well, a basic WiFi extender picks up your wifi signal and re-broadcasts it. So if you have weak Wifi upstairs the booster will only be getting a weak signal. Boosting a weak signal won't help much.

A basic booster will work better if say you have one point upstairs which does get a good Wifi signal. e.g. if modem/router downstairs is against an external wall then upstairs against the same external wall might get a good signal as it kind of goes outside the house not through the steel reinforced floor/ceiling. If you can plug in a basic WiFi extender in a place you know you get a good signal upstairs then it might help your problem.

However, wired is better. The above Powerline device I recommended takes your internet signal from your modem/router downstairs and sends it along the power cables to the 'receiver' which you can plug in anywhere upstairs. The receiver then acts as a wifi hotspot giving you much better wifi upstairs. You will need a spare power socket near your modem/router downstairs, preferably one in a wall socket not on an extension. Although they say not to plug Powerline adapters into extension sockets I have before and they have worked OK.

In my experience Powerline is better than WiFi but not as good as a direct ethernet cable connection. By far the best option although not exactly plug and play is to run a long ethernet cable from your modem/router downstairs to somewhere upstairs. Either using an existing conduit in your walls like a telephone line provision or by running it along inside/outside of walls. Upstairs you'd have a cheap 2nd router with WiFi. As I said, this is technically the best option but most likely would require a techy to set it up for you!

If you can stretch to the cost of the above TP Link Powerline kit with Wifi Extender that will definitely improve your WiFi upstairs. I had the same model which I used before I ran Ethernet to all rooms in my house.

Pay £11 for expedited delivery from Amazon and you'll have it next week!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
carts320

Myself and a few friends use Devolo socket units, I've been using mine for a few years and am very happy.

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

There's tons of this stuff out there of course. Very Happy

It's a bit old now but I got a Netgear WN3500RP a few years ago. You WiFi connect it to your router - as per the simple instructions. Then you can plug it into any socket, where it picks up your signal then amplifies and re-transmits it. On your iPad (whatever) it appears with your same network ID but an -EXT after. You then log in using your usual net password. Works a treat.

Being a belt and braces type Cool I also have a set of Tenda plugs. One takes an output from your router and plugs into a nearby mains socket. You can then use another one (there were 3 in the pack) in any other household mains socket and take a LAN lead out to a laptop/PC. I'm sure there must be an iPad/tablet adapter out there for it somewhere.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

I was told the sending and receiving socket must be on the same circuit or ring main. I appreciate that all circuits meet at the consumer unit but I presume the connection is better when on the same circuit.
Paul.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
mark

Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
I was told the sending and receiving socket must be on the same circuit or ring main. I appreciate that all circuits meet at the consumer unit but I presume the connection is better when on the same circuit.
Paul.

I was under that impression too but I found it worked across circuits. I guess PowerLine is using neutral and earth for transmission as my 3 circuits share the same neutral and earth.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
Milschoice04

Many thanks for all your various responses....

I think I shall have to sit down with a cup of tea and... will no doubt periodically scratch my head in bewilderment Smile ... try and decide which or the suggested solutions to adopt.....

Regards...
Mils

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

I use a device similar to the Powerline one Mark has mentioned above and
very pleased with it. Mine's quite old now so doesn't have some of the
newer features also I don't bother with the wifi it's just wired direct
with a network cable into the TP-Link socket.

Cheers

Steve

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:26 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

Hi did you opt for a wifi extender and if so which one?
Wifi Extenders.... 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Gadget & Techie Corner