Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues » Double Taxation
Double Taxation 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:42 am Reply with quote
Towser51
Pictures: 0

Hi, hope someone explain something for me.

I have never been very good at understanding taxation and reading about the proposed change in the double taxation agreement has me totally bamboozled.

Some people are saying, they will be better off if their civil service pensions are taxed in the UK as this will bring them under the tax threshold in both countries - does this mean you can claim the personal allowance in UK and Cyprus?

Having been in Cyprus for a year and registered to pay tax here does this mean if I now decide to let out my UK property I can claim the income against the personal allowance?

Many thanks.

Alan
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
Anne Randle

Hi,

Haven't heard about proposed changes!
I have been paying tax here for 8 years and can give you an insight, happy to discuss but don't want to post personal info so if you want to mail me we can arrange to speak over the phone.

Anne
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:58 am Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

Hi Alan and Anne

I published an article a few days ago that explains the changes in taxation brought about by the new Double Taxation Agreement between the UK and Cyprus - see
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Alan - the income you receive from renting your property in the UK is taxed by HMRC - see

Regards,

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
Towser51

Thanks Anne and Nigel.

Anne, new to posting on forums so not sure how to get in touch with you.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Hi, & welcome to the forum, as you can see there's plenty of info here.

You can contact other members via the forum, just click on the 'email' tab at the bottom of the poster's message

HTH

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Towser51

Kwacka, thanks for the welcome.

Anne, unfortunately I don't have enough posts to email you yet.

Alan

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
mac69

Thanks for the article Nigel , I think I am one of the lucky ones . I have just started getting my state pension and added to my Nhs and company pension would have taken me over the Cyprus tax allowance ( only by a small amount ) . Laughing
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:41 am Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

mac69 wrote:
I think I am one of the lucky ones

Clap

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Anne Randle

Hi, if you provide a tel number happy to call you,

Anne
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
lee paul

wow thanks!!! after 24 years ,countless tours, two fooked knees and lower back issues.. the government find yet other way of making my day c**p!!! at lest its still sunny.. really upsets me that i have to pay tax on a pension to then pay for somebodies state pension who have never worked ..
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
lee paul

me again .. so if my pension is below 11500 a year in the UK does that mean it does not get Taxed? does that mean i can work in Cyprus? I'm confused lol

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

lee paul wrote:
if my pension is below 11500 a year in the UK does that mean it does not get Taxed? does that mean i can work in Cyprus?

There's nothing to stop you working in Cyprus your pension arrangements have no bearing on the matter.

Hopefully you'll be able to get the UK Personal Allowance of £11,850, But no-one can say for sure until both countries have completed their respective domestic ratification procedures

I've had a worrying comments on my article: "The UK tax allowance is not available in the case of government pensions paid abroad."

I have asked the author to let me know where he got this information, but no reply to date.

(If his statement is true you could have your pension paid into a UK bank and transfer it to Cyprus as needed.)

Regards,

Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

From the notes for the 2018 tax return:

Quote:
Income Tax

As a non-resident, you’re liable to UK Income Tax on income you receive from UK sources. You’re not normally liable to
UK Income Tax on income from:

certain pensions paid out of UK funds for government service in Commonwealth countries

I hope this is what was meant.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:53 am Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I've received the following:

"Have just been talking with a friend who has resided in Spain for nearly 20 years. He pays tax on his military pension at source but can claim the personal tax allowance despite being registered to pay tax in Spain.

Interestingly, his old age pension is taxed in Spain where he uses the Spanish personal tax allowance. He says that the Spanish tax authorities are not interested in any income where he pays tax at source in UK."

Regards,

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues