Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues » Apartment change of usage to shop?
Apartment change of usage to shop? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
billibob
Pictures: 0

I live in an apartment on the ground floor. The residential block consists of 4 ground floors apt's and 4 1st floor. I've been told that a foreign business man is asking if any of us wants to sell our ground floors to him as he intends to rent them out as shops as they are near a main shopping road. I find the thought of having a shop next door to me very worrying.

Does anyone know if this is a real possibility or is there something like a 'change of usage' law which would prevent this?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
madmum

does anyone bother about getting change of use here?? have got the opposite across the road from my house. 2 shops that had been empty for a while are not lived in by a large number of bulgarian gypsies. heard they only pay 200 euro a month. despite reputation they cause no trouble & certainly not low profile as always sitting out on pavement with their BBQ's. only niggle is they love their bulgarian music & have very large speakers outside. often all day at weekends & holidays but at least doesnt go on till late at night. but im not that happy when want to have a lie in and music starts at 9am
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

billibob - Do you have TD's yet? Is your developer still in the picture?

madmum wrote:
but im not that happy when want to have a lie in and music starts at 9am

My wife uses the vacuum or bangs doors - similar effect I am sure Laughing

Cheers

Steve

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:14 am Reply with quote
billibob

No TD's yet Steve.

Re the Developer - he left in a puff of smoke years ago and we were then under the Receivers but recently the unsold properties (on a block behind mine) were sold to this foreign business man so apparently we are no longer under Receivership.
Change of Use 
Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:13 am Reply with quote
Gerry McMahon

We have the same problem at our block of 6 Apts Developers M.T. PETROU
he is using an Area designated as a Storage Area on the Plans !!!! as hi Office
for his Electrical Firm he is now operating, hence we have no chance of
getting TITLE DEEDS as the Development wont get the final Certificate, the
Develoment is ACROPOLIS COURT near the DANGEROUS BEND.

WELL I SUPPOSE THIS IS CYPRUS BREAK EVERY LAW
IN THE BOOK BEING THE NORM>!!!!!!!!

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
lethargicinlarnaca

Sorry to read of your possible problem billiebob, we went through something similar lost and then eventually won in a private settlement after years of fighting.

This was useful from 'The Printing Office of the Republic of Cyprus' Nicosia in the English language,

Republic of Cyprus
6(1) of 1993
The Immoveable Property (Tenure, Registration and Valuation)
(Amendment) Law of 1993

(English Translation Prepared By The Law Commisioners Office)

I EN (A) - L.37

This handy little tome is the key to understanding what IS/NOT legally allowed to happen in or to a building under shared ownership such as an apartment block. Change of use-signage-noise-disruption to enjoyment of property are amongst the items covered and it is very useful when dealing with those who would seek to make the lives of others in a shared ownership building pretty miserable. Referencing the publication in discussion with your apartment committee or those who would seek to make a change of use to the shared ownership building is a helpful first step but inevitably lawyers will probably have to become involved.
The cost of the publication is fairly negligible, perhaps now no more tha 20 at most and likely much less. It's probably been updated/re titled by now, although I don't think much of Law has changed, who knows? I got a copy from a friend years ago but the Citizens Centres may be able to help or point you in the right direction to obtain a copy.

A word of caution. For reasons best known to themselves perhaps not everybody on the apartment block committee or amongst your immediate neighbours will be on your side in this matter. In all honesty trust no one and if you have to use a lawyer use one from out of district.

Good Luck

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
billibob

Thanks very much for the info. I'll try the Citizens Advice.

Thanks again.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
lethargicinlarnaca

billibob wrote:
Thanks very much for the info. I'll try the Citizens Advice.

Thanks again.

Forgot to say, do not distribute copies to others just quote from the publication in any dealings/discussions you might be involved in. The Law, in so much as any lay person understands it is for you to know and for them to fret about.
Every apartment owner/dweller in Cyprus should have a copy tucked behind their front door. Let us know how you get on.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Apartment change of usage to shop? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues