Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » Aradippou dog shelter/ or where else to drop a stray?
Aradippou dog shelter/ or where else to drop a stray? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:59 am Reply with quote
jeba
Pictures: 0

There is a young stray dog which has chosen me to be his new owner without my consent. I went to the police station to be told that the municipality will come to pick him up and bring him to the animal shelter in Larnaca. Friends told me however, that there he will be put down unless somebody will take him within 2 weeks.
As this would be a shame given how lovely and clever he is (he learnt to use the dogflap in my backdoor after seeing once only how one of my own dogs used it) I want to drop him at the animal shelter in Aradippou. However, they don´t answer the phone nor do they give their adress on their website. Does anybody know how to get there from the motorway? Or does anybody know of another shelter which I could drop him at? Even better: would anybody like to adopt him? I´d pay for neutering and initial shots. I´ve also administered anti-flee treatment (frontline) already.

Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Silly old Moo

Hi,

Have you tried the Argos Animal Sanctuary?

www.argossanctuary.com/

Good luck Smile
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
jeba

Silly old Moo wrote:
Hi,

Have you tried the Argos Animal Sanctuary?

www.argossanctuary.com/

Good luck Smile

Yes, thanks. Unfortunately, they were full. The local police station organised him to be picked up by an animal shelter. However, I´m not sure for how long they´ll keep him without putting him down. Will have to find out from municipality tomorrow about their policies.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:05 am Reply with quote
jeba

Meanwhile the dog is at the shelter in Kiti. If you can call it a shelter rather than a concentration camp for dogs. It´s just an about 10 sqm corner of a storage site for building materials which those poor dogs are restricted to within the shed an unpaid built for them. She is doing everything herself - from building the shed to cleaning after the dogs, taking them to the vet, fundraising etc. It´s a shame.
Since I can´t keep the dog myself (my 87yo mother who is living with me is scared that he might make her fall when jumping up on her to greet or ask for attention) I want to at least help find a home for him. Would anybody be prepared to step up to at least foster him until he finds a permanent home? Here is a short videoclip of the friendly and playful little stray made from videos when I could take him out of his misery for a few hours at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAkjtVvA-1U&feature=youtu.be

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
bowie

I know it's so sad so many dogs just not enough help for them ,,,it's never ending and very upsetting ,,could you not promote the dog on FB also does the shelter in Kiti have a FB page ,,,

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
jeba

bowie wrote:
I know it's so sad so many dogs just not enough help for them ,,,it's never ending and very upsetting ,,could you not promote the dog on FB also does the shelter in Kiti have a FB page ,,,

The shelter doesn´t have a FB page, but the volunteer who runs it has: https://www.facebook.com/angela.allery.9?hc_ref=ARSJoaD-zUhDbuhH8GdyfJA_kRpqZXwYM5I76DVewZNSEu_Er18KU8ISgd--PKSMD0E
Re: Aradippou dog shelter/ or where else to drop a stray ? 
Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
jeba

lliz wrote:
Wonder whether BFAWS would help,at one time the boarding side helped with funds for welfare care.....but may be entirely commercial now 99024535
Also Bay Tree Kelso on Voroklini ?
Also thought,when he’s so bright,learning about dog flap etc....he would very quickly learn jumping up on your mother,in fact ALL people is wrong.Then he could become an addition to your family,???
Argos always seems better run & better organised than others,maybe just more dedicated volunteers,but Stella has a “ can do” attitude.& maybe they could squeeze him in as a “paying guest” till he finds a home . I’m off to UK next week,but will donate a few weeks board,if it helps,MAYBE OTHERS WILL TOO .?
Lliz

Thanks a lot for your kind offer. I´ll forward it to Angela, the volunteer who is running the shelter.
I already have 2 rescue dogs, so I don´t want another one even if he wouldn´t scare my mother as the logistical challenges and cost of taking 3 dogs back and forth to Germany are too high for me. Also, I don´t have the know-how, energy and patience to train another dog. The rescues I already have were trained (and dumped on me Shocked ) by my daughter who now lives in the US.

If anybody would like to help in other ways than by a donation - I´m sure Angela would be happy to have someone to help hands on with e. g. taking dogs to the vet, walking them, cleaning their crates etc.
Aradippou dog shelter/ or where else to drop a stray? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus