Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues » Useless lawyers
Useless lawyers 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
sunnysuzie
Pictures: 6

Hi,
I dont know if anyone can help me.

The lawyers for our complex took a non payer to court last year and got a judgement for us to receive 50 per month, paying their legal fees first. We got a payment in February last year and in May, minus 5 bank charges. it has just come to light that no money has been received since. On contacting the lawyers their answer is nothing has been paid since August, they cannot clarify why? Is it not up to the lawyers to chase and enforce the payments? They have been totally useless, not honest, and just keep mentioning a yearly retainer (No other lawyer I have spoken to demands this).

I have found another lawyer, who we really liked, he was very upfront and honest about the whole situation. For him to take it on, he needs our file, but he said they wont release it until they have been paid.

My question is how can they be paid if no one is enforcing the payment, and why did we bother going to court in the first place, if they are still not paying?

I am at my wits end with this, and on the verge of saying sod it, close the pool, as I receive no help with any of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sue
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

Hi Sue

If the non-payer is not carrying out the judgement of the court he is in contempt of court and the matter should be referred back to court to deal with.

Why on earth are you paying your present lawyer a yearly retainer??? What is he doing for you? Have you signed an agreement with him/her?

Why not buy him a printing press so he can print his own money rather than taking it from you (and presumably his other clients.)

Kick him into touch and get the other lawyer involved. (Unfortunately you'll have to pay your present lawyer to release your files.)

Regards,

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
sunnysuzie

Hi Nigel,

It seems to be our lawyer just cannot be bothered.

We paid for a yearly retainer the first year, for them to set up the committee etc, (not knowing any better), they asked for a yearly retainer again on the 2nd year which we have refused to do, since then it seems they dont want to bother. Bearing in mind we have been paying out of pocket expenses etc. This is why we have now had enough and want to use a lawyer that may actually do something.

Thank you for your advise.

Sue
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
sunnysuzie

Hi

Can anyone please recommend a lawyer that may take this on?

Our lawyers are doing sweet FA, I have left messages for them to call, they never call back. And wont tell me why as our lawyers they are not enforcing the judgement, I know it is because we refuse to pay a yearly retainer. No other lawyer I have spoken to demands this.

Thank you

Sue

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:46 am Reply with quote
nikcnet
Pictures: 0

sunnysuzie wrote:
Hi Nigel,

It seems to be our lawyer just cannot be bothered.

We paid for a yearly retainer the first year, for them to set up the committee etc, (not knowing any better), they asked for a yearly retainer again on the 2nd year which we have refused to do, since then it seems they dont want to bother. Bearing in mind we have been paying out of pocket expenses etc. This is why we have now had enough and want to use a lawyer that may actually do something.

Thank you for your advise.

Sue

Your lawyer seems to be adopting the same practice as one we were coerced into using at our complex by some owners. The annual retainer is like giving the lawyer a licence to print money. In our case they also make up their own version of the law.

Without disclosing identity of your lawyer, can you say where they are located?
Useless lawyers 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues