Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters » Misfueling
Misfueling 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
jeba
Pictures: 0

Is it possible in Cyprus to fill petrol into a diesel car or will the petrol nozzle not fit into a diesel tank? Reason Im asking is because I was offered an insurance against misfueling.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
bromerzz

Yes it can be done _ I know from experience. Petrol into a Diesel tank.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
lindask

Yep-can be done,you have to watch what they are doing as from my experience the guys that come to fill up your tank are not always employees ....they've just called in for a coffee & havn't a clue what they are doing !!

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
lamby

Absolutely can be done.I NEVER sit in the car when they come to fuel up as on at least 2 occasions i have noticed they were about to put in the wrong fuel.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Misfuellimg 
Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Pete The Highwayman
Membership Closed

Evening
Petrol into a Diesel engine is not the end of the world
Diesel into a petrol engine is a disaster
Years ago before diesel had additives and the fuel used to freeze
The truck manufactures recommended you put in ten percent petrol
Into the tank before you filled up with diesel
And we used to do that and it worked some drivers said it has never run better
Keep smiling
Pete

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
jeba

bromerzz wrote:

How expensive was it to fix the problem? How long did it take? Could it be done on site or would have to be towed to a workshop?
Re: Misfuellimg 
Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:54 am Reply with quote
carts320
Pictures: 2

Pete The Highwayman wrote:
Evening
Keep smiling
Pete

petrol in diesel engines can cause a number of issues, some vehicles suffer with seal issues, I don't know why, but they suffer from the petrol contamination destroying/damaging the fuel pump seals, Vauxhalls were common for this issue.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:01 am Reply with quote
bromerzz

jeba wrote:
bromerzz wrote:

How expensive was it to fix the problem? How long did it take? Could it be done on site or would have to be towed to a workshop?

Went to fill up a 70 litre fuel tank, it had about 10 litres of diesel in it. After pumping in about 40 litres of, it was realised it was petrol going in.Topped up the rest of the tank with diesel. It started up, ran but coughed and spluttered at low speeds, and had to keep the engine revved up when the clutch was depressed at traffic lights and slow traffic. As soon as there was room I topped up with 10 litres - of diesel- every few of days until the mix was diluted and back to normal. Luckily I do a lot of motorway driving so no real problem.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: Misfuellimg 
Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
lamby

Pete The Highwayman wrote:
Evening
Keep smiling
Pete

Quite right there Pete. used to do the same with mine but sometimes needed to prime the pump on cold mornings.as mentioned though,things are different today with cars and if you do move a car after knowingly putting the wrong fuel in,some insurance companies will not cover for any damage.
Re: Misfueling 
Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:46 am Reply with quote
lethargicinlarnaca

jeba wrote:
Is it possible in Cyprus to fill petrol into a diesel car or will the petrol nozzle not fit into a diesel tank? Reason Im asking is because I was offered an insurance against misfueling.

Sod's law would suggest that it would be entirely possible to fill your diesel powered vehicle fuel tank with petrol and then drive off to an expensive engine repair or replacement disaster. Even if you do realise the mistake before starting the engine and assuming the tank was almost empty before filling you've then got to,

Arrange recovery of the vehicle using a slide back or lift and tow recovery truck. Getting a friend or neighbour to tow you using a car to wherever might be problematic if you or they don't have a rigid drawbar and/or if both vehicles are not covered by towing insurance. No engine running in the towed vehicle is going to mean no power steering or brake servo operating.

Then you've got to find a repair shop that can do the work and dispose of the petrol, although most mechanics wouldn't have a problem with this depending on how strictly and safely the repair shop is operated as even in Cyprus there are regulations on decanting fuel.
Providing the engine has not been run (fuel pump not operated) you'll probably get away with draining the tank but if the engine has been run but not damaged the fuel tank and fuel lines will require cleaning, fuel filters will have to be changed. More importantly because petrol acts as a solvent disturbing diesel wax or gunk in the system the fuel pump the engine fuel lift pump/injection system and the injectors would need to be stripped cleaned and seals replaced. If the engine has been damaged then remedial work or replacement would be required.

Cost wise, probably anywhere between a couple of hundred Euro and perhaps a few thousand Euro dependent on vehicle engine manufacturer so the insurance cover might be worthwhile especially if you also drive a petrol powered vehicle or if others use the vehicle as well as yourself.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:33 am Reply with quote
carts320
Pictures: 2

lethargicinlarnaca, perfectly explained and most of all truthfully and fact full, new and even newish systems are not like older trucks. they be damaged, the damage may now be obvious straight away.

lethargicinlarnaca are you an ex patrol?

Post: #12   PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
lethargicinlarnaca

carts320 wrote:
lethargicinlarnaca are you an ex patrol?

Thank you "carts320" for your comments. In answer to your question, no I'm afraid not but I have been rescued by them on a couple of occasions.

Theres a lot more that could be said about fuel contamination the long term damage that it does to powerplant and importantly now that we are all aware of such things, the additional pollution that it can create.

To deliver greater effiency reliability and hopefully lower emissions modern engines are manufactured to closer machined tolerances than they were in the past and interference friction, the enemy of all moving mechanical parts will as you have correctly pointed out increase with the dilution by contamination of the lubricating element contained in diesel fuel.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters