Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » Dheryneia Dog Poisoned
Dheryneia Dog Poisoned 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
2diffs
Pictures: 0

Our gorgeous Ebbie has slept on his chair in the lounge for the last time.

On 31st Jan he and Katie were poisoned by by somebody within 150 m of our house. They used meat laced with poison. It was dusk and I was 50 m away as they went for their usual favourite stroll before supper. Katie came back to me shaking, I put her in the house and searched for Ebbie. Time was against me so I had to rush Katie to the Vet, she was saved by Tasos, meanwhile I drove back with an atropine syringe, when I found Ebbie with a torch it was too late.

Ebbie was everybody’s friend, dog cat person he liked us all. He would be upset if you didn't acknowledge him, he would walk over and give you a nudge.

He and Katie spent nearly 2 years in Sri Lanka on our plantation, living daily with wild dogs, vipers big and small cobras and huge monitors. He enjoyed running with his pals in 8 acres of coconut trees jungle and paddy fields. He learned pack rules, he found out how to bark at and play with venomous snakes, cows buffalo and animals with sharp teeth and claws.

He and Skoobie Do (a big alpha male who turned up and stayed) were rivals initially, Skoobie could not tolerate this wooly neutered foreign dog. One day there was a pack dog trespass, Skoobie and his family took them on. Ebbie joined in nipping and biting at the opposite end to the teeth, Skoobie came away with some injuries, they became best mates..

He has died in his retirement because of a Rabid Cypriot who cowardly concealed poison in meat. Later this evening I found the tissue which contained signs of the bait. Nearby under a bush was an empty plate, probably used with harmless food to tempt the dogs to come back to eat.

Katie is now recovered, because of the atropine she was temporarily blind and very confused.

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Last edited by 2diffs on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Verry sorry to read that 2Diffs - have you reported it to the police?

Roughly what's your location - just in case they have laid more poisoned food
out.

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
adyandkaren
Pictures: 23

That is so so sad Sad
RIP Ebbie
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
devil
Pictures: 1

adyandkaren wrote:
That is so so sad Sad
RIP Ebbie

Condolences! Losing a dog is worse than losing a family member because you feel so helpless, especially when it happens like this. Fortunately, our dog, Beardie, was poisoned only once, by a BNV, never by a human. He lived for many years after that but we still miss him even though he left us 8 months ago at at 14˝ years.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
scottie

So sorry and angry to hear this. Dreadful ., its unbelievable that people you probably see every day are capable of being so cruel 😢
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Sparton
Pictures: 16

RIP little baby, this is a terrible way to die, I also lost my little boy when some sub human put poison down, I just wish I could have the chance to ram it down his or hers throat, sorry for your loss.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
2diffs

Steve - SJD wrote:
Verry sorry to read that 2Diffs - have you reported it to the police?

Roughly what's your location - just in case they have laid more poisoned food
out.

Cheers

Steve

Yes police were notified and took a statement, area is quite near to the hospital
main carpark where lots of dogs are walked. I have marked the vicinity.
I notice today that the food plate has been removed and chickens have been free ranging at the exact place for the last 2 days..........conclusions!!! The owner knows there is no risk of poison killing his chickens.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
billibob

So sad to hear about your beloved dog - it's heartbreaking.

I hope the police get their finger out and do something about it.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
madmum

was it paralimni police station you reported it to? is a very nice police lady there that deals with animal problems. she is very good & not like a lot of officials who just go thru paperwork & forget it

sounds like it was the chicken owner but without proof not much can be done. tho think this police lady would visit & give warning. had trouble in summer with nasty person threatening to "deal with" our cat colony. was reported & she put letters thru all the doors in road warning it was illegal to harm or kill animals & large fines

would your poor dog have been mentioned on fb? there was post about 1 being poisoned by the hospital. if not then its happened more than once

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Smoke

So Sorry so very sorry but what a wonderful life you gave him poor old Billy no one cared for him until it was too late you gave him a great life and I am happy that he was so fortunate.
Mrs Smoke

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote
2diffs

madmum wrote:
was it paralimni police station you reported it to? is a very nice police lady there that deals with animal problems. she is very good & not like a lot of officials who just go thru paperwork & forget it

sounds like it was the chicken owner but without proof not much can be done. tho think this police lady would visit & give warning. had trouble in summer with nasty person threatening to "deal with" our cat colony. was reported & she put letters thru all the doors in road warning it was illegal to harm or kill animals & large fines

would your poor dog have been mentioned on fb? there was post about 1 being poisoned by the hospital. if not then its happened more than once

Reported to our local Dheryneia, Young female officer. They passed it out to neighbourhood watch. As I had no absolute proof they could not do a search.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

So sorry to hear about your loss.

Makes you wonder what type of evil cowardly scum could do such a thing.

Unfortunately nothing will change until one day a young Cypriot child is accidently poisoned. Then all hell will be let loose.

Friends of ours had a dog poisoned near the hospital a few years ago, which was one of the reasons they moved back to the UK.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus