Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General » Police arrests to combat illegal use of Pay TV decoders Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post: #21   PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Update:
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Cheers

Steve

Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #22   PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote
JIM
Pictures: 6

Hudswell wrote:
JIM wrote:
This would all go away if the UKTV companies would offer their services via the internet with paid subscriptions, this would solve all these problem that they in fact caused to ex-pats throughout Europe.Even the illegal systems you use Granville..

Jim....look I will explain this as slowly as I can. It. Is. Not. The. Providers. It Is. Not. The. Companies. It Is. Broadcasting legislation. It. Is Copywrite law.

I know it's difficult to understand.....but please try harder....and you know why the authorities are clamping down on the illegal provision of subscription channels....because it generates millions for criminals....duh....

Your such a plonker Granville, puffed up with your own inane importance, do go away. By the way how is your totally illegal Clearview system, watch out that will also go soon, do not feel so smug.

Post: #23   PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:16 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs
Pictures: 0

Ohh the irony! Very Happy

On CL, that exchange would have been deleted and a stern rebuke issued by Admin. Wink

Talking to the expat circle here though it seems that for many their TV world has evaporated overnight. Also, a lot of the footy broadcasting pubs have suddenly got a big problem.

Post: #24   PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:17 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

Unfortunately Jim has the "on line" version or Tourette's and simply cannot help himself...the truth to him is an enigma and whilst he considers himself an expert on all things Cyprus (ask him about tides or the cost of an Haircut at a Cypriot barbers) he just get's confused wth reality. The current situation with IPTV will I am sure sort itself out. The Cypriot authorities seem to have a short attention span and will loose interest. But the fact is, organisations like Europol and FACT are actively going after the providers of illegally broadcast subscription services....huge amounts of money is involved and it funds stuff we probably would not like to know about....I suspect those that facilitate these services by selling them on will be hoping to keep a low profile for a few weeks....naming names on open forums will not help.

Mercury Rising
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #25   PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

This is a European-wide exercise:

This week police across Europe coordinated to shut down what is claimed to be one of the world's largest pirate IPTV networks. Following raids in Cyprus, Bulgaria, the Netherlands, and Greece, TorrentFreak identified the ISP from where the illicit operation allegedly broadcast to the world. Located in a small Bulgarian town, the ISP says it is cooperating with the police to identify the suspects.

Cheers,

Post: #26   PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:00 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

Absolutely Nigel, something that has been growing momentum over the last few years and is now beginning to bite. I, like many other expats watch my uk over the Internet..and do believe it is the only way forward and the future of broadcasting...but copywrite law and legislation will have to change to facilitate it. What I do not do is pay someone to provid me with sky...or other illegally obtained subscription channels...primarily because I am tight and simply do not need to watch that much TV and also because having previously worked in the Communications Security Environment I have seen where some of the money ends up.

Mercury Rising
Hudswell makes a confession. 
Post: #27   PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

Hudswell wrote:
Absolutely Nigel, something that has been growing momentum over the last few years and is now beginning to bite. I, like many other expats watch my uk over the Internet..and do believe it is the only way forward and the future of broadcasting...but copywrite law and legislation will have to change to facilitate it. What I do not do is pay someone to provid me with sky...or other illegally obtained subscription channels...primarily because I am tight and simply do not need to watch that much TV and also because having previously worked in the Communications Security Environment I have seen where some of the money ends up.

Hudswell has admitted he is Tight. Wink Laughing

Post: #28   PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

Physically, mentally and financially 😂

Mercury Rising

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #29   PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:57 am Reply with quote
spanner

Mr Tibbs wrote:
On CL, that exchange would have been deleted and a stern rebuke issued by Admin. Wink

No, that would have been another ban, nearly as bad as "oven chips"!

Post: #30   PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Post: #31   PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
JIM
Pictures: 6

All of the IPTV services that went down last week are mostly up and running again.

Post: #32   PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

For how Long?

Mercury Rising

Post: #33   PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Update:

Cheers

Steve

Post: #34   PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Rovers3City0

This illustrates the benefits of using a legal Internet TV service:

I've used zktv via a MAG box for several months now. Great service and 14 day catch up on the major channels. It also has the advantage of being legal, it comes from Zurich and the legality has already been tested in the Swiss courts.
They also offer a free trial:
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #35   PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

And they don't rebroadcast illegally obtained subscription based channels like SKY..is there a lesson to be learnt there...JIm?

Mercury Rising

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #36   PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rovers3City0 wrote:
It also has the advantage of being legal, it comes from Zurich and the legality has already been tested in the Swiss courts.

It may be legal in Switzerland but has it been tested in EU courts?

Cheers

Steve

Post: #37   PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

Probably not Steve, but because they are not stealing and rebroadcasting Subscription Based Channels I suspect they are of little concern to the authorities at the moment.

Mercury Rising

Post: #38   PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Stealing?

If something is stolen the owner doesn't have use of it any more, this is not the case in 'pirated' media. If I steal a car, the owner returns to find an empty space, which is not the same as copyright infringement.

For example, how does ITV lose out if somebody watches Coronation Street using a streamed internet connection whilst they are in Zimbabwe? or they watch The Simpsons on Sky in Chile?

Last edited by Kwacka on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post: #39   PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hudswell wrote:
Probably not Steve, but because they are not stealing and rebroadcasting Subscription Based Channels I suspect they are of little concern to the authorities at the moment.

I don't know enough about them but speaking generally from a brief look
at the position in the EU it appears that any provider who rebroadcasts tv
content without permission of the rights holder and for a fee is doing so
illegally?

I haven't used any of the different providers so can't speak of the benefits
of one over another. However it would seem that pretty much they are all
in the same boat in terms of legality to a lesser or greater degree.

I couldn't say what is of concern to the authorities but it is clear that
organisations like the BBC, ITV are actively working against those that
are circumventing the blocks they put in place.

As long as people are aware of that - regardless of the service they sign up
with - then there will be no room for complaints later on.

Cheers

Steve

Post: #40   PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
spanner

Kwacka wrote:
Stealing?

If something is stolen the owner doesn't have use of it any more, this is not the case in 'pirated' media. If I steal a car, the owner returns to find an empty space, which is not the same as copyright infringement.

For example, how does ITV lose out if somebody watches Coronation Street using a streamed internet connection whilst they are in Zimbabwe? or they watch The Simpsons on Sky in Chile?

Coronation Street loses out on royalties because ITV didn't buy the rights to broadcast in Zimbabwe, or anywhere else but the UK.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General