Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Gadget & Techie Corner » Amazon echo
Amazon echo 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
metro6r498
Pictures: 0

Hi

Anyone have experience using a echo here and is/does it work O.K.

Thanks

Brian
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

I've emailed a link to a magazine review (Computer Shopper, March, 2017)

If you can't see it, check your junk/spam folders.

HTH

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
metro6r498

Thanks kwaka, got some info from your link, was hoping someone in Cyprus was using one and what they were losing from the system by being in Cyprus. Now think I will have to get one to find out.
Again thanks.
Brian
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
bxrtrainer

Hi,
Yes I have an Echo and two Dots working here in Cyprus, the biggest pain is the home address.

I got my Echo first and had to do a bit hacking using software tools to get the time correct but Amazon now allow you set the time zone to Nicosia.

To get weather reports for here I have to ask specifically for Larnaca, Cyprus weather.

The home address is limited to supported countries, which I think Europe is still just U.K. And DE.

Some have managed to hack the address, in countries such as Malaysia or Singapore but I haven't managed it.

I have an Amazon Prime, Amazon Music and Audible memberships which possibly makes the devices more useful, but I use them for Phillips Hue lights and some remote power switches.

We love them, even when she get itwrong.

Hope that helps.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
metro6r498

Hi BXR

We now have the echo and really enjoying it. Didn't go for prime but use Spotify with great results, also run a couple of power sockets. One thing we are trying and seems to be working is a rechargeable docking hub, this lets us take the echo outside without worrying about power sockets (about 4 hours) starting to class this as one of our best buys.
As you say about time and weather a small thing which didn't give any problems. We run a normal amazon account U.K.

Excellent piece of kit.

Thanks

Brian

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

We got one of these as a Christmas present. Well actually, due to geography and a lack of comms, we ended up with two, from our kids in the UK. Very Happy

I’ve just set them up. One upstairs, one down. First impressions are they’re brilliant. I didn’t have any trouble setting up the location based stuff. We now get weather for our village, for instance.

I’m looking forward to learning the associated skills and perhaps expanding into the control side.

Alexa .......... please post. Very Happy

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

Mr Tibbs wrote:
We got one of these as a Christmas present. Well actually, due to geography and a lack of comms, we ended up with two, from our kids in the UK. Very Happy

I’ve just set them up. One upstairs, one down. First impressions are they’re brilliant. I didn’t have any trouble setting up the location based stuff. We now get weather for our village, for instance.

I’m looking forward to learning the associated skills and perhaps expanding into the control side.

Alexa .......... please post. Very Happy

Didn't you get any weather before then. Confused Wink

Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

This might be useful
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Stops TV ads turning them on, how to insert code to ensure that nobody else can make online purchases using these devices, etc.

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Kwacka wrote:
This might be useful

Stops TV ads turning them on, how to insert code to ensure that nobody else can make online purchases using these devices, etc.

Thanks.

I said hello this morning and after replying, Alexa told me that on this day in 1719 Philip V of Spain declared war on France. I mean - I had absolutely no idea. Shocked Laughing

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:52 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

I've always resisted subscribing to Amazon Prime. I don't imagine the enhanced delivery is advantageous living here (?) and, already having Netflix, the video side hasn't the usual attraction.

Starting to explore the Echo though it appears it may now be useful.

Does anybody have an Echo and Prime and is it worth the cost to sign up?

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:08 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Son of a ...........

It’s Mark Anthony’s Birthday (82BC). I forgot the card - again! Crying or Very sad

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Dolly Parton’s 72 today. Another forgotten card. Crying or Very sad

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Now, this is the model they should have bought me!

I keep calling them "Electra". Then get annoyed when they ignore me. Twisted Evil Very Happy

Actually, you can alter the name to anything you want.

I have called mine Kwacka. That's because they know everything. Laughing

Just joking Kwacka, just joking. Embarassed

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

The teenage edition: Laughing

The long term relationship edition:

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:35 am Reply with quote
spanner

I got en Echo international version a couple of weeks ago, and find it absolutely fascinating!

Just playing around with it at the moment, but have already set it up to turn a kettle on and an A/C unit.

I am waiting for some smart bulbs to arrive so I can set them up as well.

I will definitely order an Echo Spot (with a screen) when the international version is released.

Post: #16   PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
bubblechris

metro6r498 wrote:
Hi BXR

One thing we are trying and seems to be working is a rechargeable docking hub, this lets us take the echo outside without worrying about power sockets (about 4 hours) starting to class this as one of our best buys.

Brian

That is something I'd love to have for my google hub. Annoying that both that and a Sonos speaker I have need to be permanently connected to a socket.
Amazon echo 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Gadget & Techie Corner