Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

 
Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

    
Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues » Will
Post new topic  Reply to topic   View previous topic : View next topic 
Will 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
Glenjohn
Joined: 27 Nov 2015
Posts: 1
Pictures: 0

 
We made out cyprus wills a few years ago leaving our property jointly split between our children in the Uk , we went back to the Soliciter to change the executor he told us the will would no longer stand in Cyprus due to the Cyprus laws he advised that we should rip it up and make a new will in the UK stating in that will what we want to happen in Cyprus . Can anyone advise if the Cyprus will would still stand !!! We have made new wills in the Uk
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel


Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Baggysdad
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Posts: 501
Pictures: 0
Location: Worcester (& Pernera)

 
Your Will that you made in Cyprus probably is still valid. A lot depends on the wording of it, but the change in law didn't make Wills made before then invalid.

The change in law means that you can opt for your Cyprus estate to be distributed according to English law - but it will still have to be administered in Cyprus.

My guess is that the lawyer (he won't be a solicitor, there is no such thing in Cyprus) has decided he doesn't want to deal with you if he can't be the executor.

My firm will be able to help you draw up a new Will

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.


Paul
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Re: Will 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
madmum
Joined: 01 May 2016
Posts: 657
Pictures: 0
Location: protaras

 
Glenjohn wrote:
We made out cyprus wills a few years ago leaving our property jointly split between our children in the Uk , we went back to the Soliciter to change the executor he told us the will would no longer stand in Cyprus due to the Cyprus laws he advised that we should rip it up and make a new will in the UK stating in that will what we want to happen in Cyprus . Can anyone advise if the Cyprus will would still stand !!! We have made new wills in the Uk



Is a will made in UK ok here regarding a property?? made ours years ago, very simple both identical in our half of property, money & everything goes to other spouse. after the 2nd of us dies then everything split equally between 4 kids. 3 of them now adults.
only thing i have heard that is different here is when house is in joint names in UK then automatically goes to the other partner. same with joint bank accounts. our house here & bank are joint here but have read its not the same
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Re: Will 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
scottie
Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Posts: 6526
Pictures: 0
Location: kapparis

 
madmum wrote:
Glenjohn wrote:
We made out cyprus wills a few years ago leaving our property jointly split between our children in the Uk , we went back to the Soliciter to change the executor he told us the will would no longer stand in Cyprus due to the Cyprus laws he advised that we should rip it up and make a new will in the UK stating in that will what we want to happen in Cyprus . Can anyone advise if the Cyprus will would still stand !!! We have made new wills in the Uk



Is a will made in UK ok here regarding a property?? made ours years ago, very simple both identical in our half of property, money & everything goes to other spouse. after the 2nd of us dies then everything split equally between 4 kids. 3 of them now adults.
only thing i have heard that is different here is when house is in joint names in UK then automatically goes to the other partner. same with joint bank accounts. our house here & bank are joint here but have read its not the same


I think you will find it is not only your house this applies to but all of your assets . Your children will automatically be entitled to a share in all and will have to sign over to living partner . Things could have changed but this is Cypriot law as I have experienced it
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Baggysdad
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Posts: 501
Pictures: 0
Location: Worcester (& Pernera)

 
Information on the current situation in Cyprus regarding Wills is here:

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.


This information contains options for people who have made wills in the UK or in Cyprus before October 2015.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
scottie
Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Posts: 6526
Pictures: 0
Location: kapparis

 
Baggysdad wrote:
Information on the current situation in Cyprus regarding Wills is here:

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.


This information contains options for people who have made wills in the UK or in Cyprus before October 2015.


More or less as I understood it to be . Thank you 😊
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Will 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
  


All times are GMT  
Page 1 of 1  



  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic   
Search Tags:



 Link To Cyprus Eastern Forum    YouTube Channel    Cyprus eBay Search    Shopping To Cyprus    Contact Admin   SmartFeed RSS Feed



BUYING PROPERTY IN CYPRUS? PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU SEEK INDEPENDENT LEGAL ADVICE FIRST.
Cyprus forum covering Kapparis, Protaras, Pernera, Agia Napa, Agia Thekla, Paralimni, Larnaca, Oroklini, Pervolia & surrounding areas
Please note that the views expressed on this forum are those of the author and may not reflect the views of the management.
* Problems Logging In? Click To Contact Us | Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group Design Style: VTrushkin | View Lo-Fi Version