Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Banking & Insurance » opening a cyprus bank account
opening a cyprus bank account 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
JustThe2OfUs
Pictures: 0

Hello All,

We would like to open a bank account in Cyprus as a uk citizen, mainly for utility payments, what documents are needed?

On doing a search I am assuming a passport, UK utility bill, UK bank reference, UK NI number, possibly a P60/pay slips, is there anything else that would help an application

I also hold a Bank Of Cyprus UK account in which I keep savings, would this help in an application to the bank of Cyprus

cheers Alan
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Here you go:

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

There is a link to the bank's application forms which may also
help.

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Re: opening a cyprus bank account 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
FSB Properties
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

JustThe2OfUs wrote:
Hello All,

We would like to open a bank account in Cyprus as a uk citizen, mainly for utility payments, what documents are needed?

On doing a search I am assuming a passport, UK utility bill, UK bank reference, UK NI number, possibly a P60/pay slips, is there anything else that would help an application

I also hold a Bank Of Cyprus UK account in which I keep savings, would this help in an application to the bank of Cyprus

cheers Alan

With all those documents you have it covered.

Do you have an address in Cyprus, if so you may need a bill from that or possibly your sale contract just in case.

Member of the AIPP.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:27 am Reply with quote
trevnhil

Would it not be better to ask the Bank !!!

Trev..

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
JustThe2OfUs

Thanks for the link Steve

FSB we are going through the buying process as the moment so don't have any bills at the moment but will have a Cyprus address when we next visit

I Have tried phoning the bank but sat in a queue for 20 mins so I thought I would ask the knowledgeable people on the forum as once I am over there I cant just "pop" back to the UK for any documentation but thanks for your input Trev!!!

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
gazzaga

You'll need evidence of ID (Passport) and evidence of address (less than 3 months old) such as utility bill or bank statement. You'll need evidence of address for both parties. You'll also need a Tax ID number (or UK N.I. number).

Be prepared to pay for services you would expect for free in UK. you will often pay for debit cards, cheque books, random number generators for online services etc. Some accounts carry yearly charges and in my experience the people opening the accounts aren't always forthcoming in telling you these. Ask the same question 4 different ways (like are there any charges / tarrifs / fees / commissions) and then for good measure ask them if you put 1,000 in this year, will it still be 1,000 next year. and get the name of the person opening the account.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
J B
Location: Shropshire/Staffordshire/Cheshire (UK) and Tala (Paphos) sometimes!

Remember that it's just like a game of cards

*Never* show them which cards you have, keep them firmly under the table and produce each one when asked Wink

Also ... don't forget your granny's birth certificate! Laughing

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

And be aware that if you want a credit card with a limit of more than a thousand or so, you'll be required to prove adequate income and deposit a sum equivalent to that said limit in a separate account! Rolling Eyes

Of course, a good way round that is to say you are a developer, and they will happily lend you millions with no sureties whatsoever!! Cool Laughing

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
JustThe2OfUs

gazzaga, I guess after the crash they want to make sure they keep their heads above water but the charges are something I will need to keep my eye on

JB I can see this isn't going to be easy but a poker face is a must by the sound of it and of course my granny's birth certificate

Woodrow, that defeats the object of a credit card surely, luckily Im not interested in one but a debit card would be handy

Thanks for all your feedback

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:32 am Reply with quote
jeba

gazzaga wrote:
for good measure ask them if you put 1,000 in this year, will it still be 1,000 next year. and get the name of the person opening the account.

And ask whether transferring 1000 will result in 1000 being credited (hint: the answer will probably be no).

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
madmum

JustThe2OfUs wrote:
gazzaga, I guess after the crash they want to make sure they keep their heads above water but the charges are something I will need to keep my eye on

JB I can see this isn't going to be easy but a poker face is a must by the sound of it and of course my granny's birth certificate

Woodrow, that defeats the object of a credit card surely, luckily Im not interested in one but a debit card would be handy

Thanks for all your feedback

we got 2 debit cards for joint account. no mention of a charge but read later you do get charged for them. another surprise is if i withdraw using any other ATM but BOC there is a fee of 3 euro not a great deal but is so much easier using the nearest ATM than driving 5 mins to the branch

dont need a credit card but then when do visit UK assume will need a credit card to hire a car. still have my UK card but as paid it off and dont intend to use it here i'm not sure if they will cancel it
opening a cyprus bank account 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Banking & Insurance