Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » shooting season
shooting season 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
hughie
Pictures: 0

shooting season starts tommrow watch out there goes all the birds and anything that moves Sad
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
IJM

Shouldn't it be titled "moron season begins"
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
milano

Hadn't realised that today was start day until the 5.30am "wake up call" began, still beats me what they manage to see, never mind shoot in the dark - or is it, I wonder, a good excuse for 'the boys' to get dressed up in the camouflage gear with a big gun over their shoulders? What else is there for morons to do on a Sunday morning?

KIZI

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

I'd always thought the season was Nov - Mar. No sign/sound of it over here in Limassol today.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

I've searched everywhere I can think of, and found this from about 4 years back:

Wood pigeon & turtle doves mid-August - February
Quail September - October
Hare, partridge & (quail?), snipe (some) duck. November - end of December. This is the only time dogs can be used.
Daily quota was 5 partriges, OR 4 partriges + 1 quail, or 4 partridges + 1 hare, or 2 hares.

Shooting is allowed from dawn until dusk.

The hunters are allowed to shoot francolin/frangolin, which I can't translate but I've guessed is quail.

The rules/quotas are regularly changed following negotiations between the government and the group representing hunters.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
bromerzz

Francolin are members of the Pheasant family which includes Pheasants, Partridge and Quail amongst others.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

bromerzz wrote:
Francolin are members of the Pheasant family which includes Pheasants, Partridge and Quail amongst others.

Thanks for the information.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
milano

Only two game birds 'allowed' to be hunted during the season 21/8 to mid-February are woodpigeon and turtle doves. And I'm sorry but if you believe that you've had too much sun!

What happens, I wonder, to all the other species that these crazy shooters kill or injure in the process? Presumably it's not like fishing, they can't throw them back!!

KIZI

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
IJM

Well by us it's if it flys kill it.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
milano

Yes, that's the thinking here too - if it flies shoot it and we'll worry about any laws later....much much later if at all!!

KIZI

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
cy

Hunting season started on the 21st
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

and I am surprised - I haven't heard a single shot yet.
I am usually being woken up by gun shots at like 5am in the morning and I see the hunters along the Zygi cost road in the morning, but nothing yet.....

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
milano

They were certainly out in force in Oroklini last Sunday just after 5am! Drowned out the church bells. But all quiet by 9'ish and nothing else heard, they usually have a second session mid-afternoon when food/drink levels have reached saturation point and fresh air is needed!

No shooting heard during the week, I thought they usually hunted on Wednesdays as well, perhaps that's in another season?

And I've got to ask, what do the hunters do with the birds? I've never seen any for sale in any shops, fresh or frozen. Do hunters sell them to restaurants? Or just eat them at home? Out of interest I googled recipes on how to cook turtle doves - I had a good idea of how wood pigeon are cooked. I've got to say that I couldn't imagine any housewife here - or hunter come to that - taking the time to prepare, cook and appreciating the finished dish.

KIZI

Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
geof j
Pictures: 2

it is unbelievable that hunting is allowed in the tourist areas while the season is at its strongest.
Protaras was awoken last Sunday, at sunrise to the sound of repeated gunfire, just days after the terrorism in Barcelona! DOH!
Protaras has many nature trails marked for walkers, i have to ask how popular that is when some camouflaged Rambo is hiding ready to shoot at anything that moves!
Cyprus should reconsider its policy on hunting in tourist areas in order that tourists can comfortably enjoy the coast and countryside free from harm.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
milano

Quite agree with Geoff j,so ridiculous it's not true. Dark Ages mentality springs to mind. It's not only the tourist areas but the residential areas as well. Quite a bit of open land in my area of Oroklini (near the old cemetery and football stadium). So frightening that the shooting is so near, that I just don't go outside the door on Sunday mornings until all is quiet. Needless to say my little dog is terrified and refuses to budge from under the bed!

As to any controls being considered or laws upheld - I wonder how many local policemen and Council Members are out shooting??

KIZI

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
geof j
Pictures: 2

just to add, a grouse crossed my driving path on Wednesday, i stopped to let it pass, lets hope it will live out its freedom Smile

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

geof j wrote:
just to add, a grouse crossed my driving path on Wednesday, i stopped to let it pass, lets hope it will live out its freedom Smile

It's a Famous Grouse now. Laughing

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:07 am Reply with quote
JonandGaynor

Thought shooting was supposed to stop at sunset, 16.50, but last night there were several hunters still blasting away near us at 19.30. it was practically dark at that time and the only things flying would be owls and bats!!

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:02 am Reply with quote
milano

Unfortunately most of the hunters, who obviously don't know which day of the week it is so they play safe and shoot every day, never learnt to tell the time either - sad reflection on the education system here! But I bet they have no trouble at all counting how much money they have under their mattresses, probably obtained, in the main, from selling their ill-gotten gains on the black market.

KIZI

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
cyprusexpat123
Membership Revoked

It is important that both sides of this very controversial issue obey the law.
Quite a few bird hunters have been fined 1000s of Euros recently.
However the so called Bird Activists have no right of trespass; and should also be prosecuted if caught doing so.
We live in Kapparis and the shooters are out every day near us. Dangerous so close to residences!
Tommy.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #20   PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
nat695

Sorry to dredge up an old post but on Protaras Avenue in the land opposite demari, Behind the chuck wagon, there's been constant gunfire every 90 secs or so in daylight hours since we arrived last week, it would seem to be a means of bird scaring than hunting as the 'gun fire' is too regular, at around 90 secs to be hunters.
shooting season 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus