Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Shipping To / From Cyprus » Shipping a cat to UK
Shipping a cat to UK 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Adelina_7
Pictures: 0

Hi, anyone has an advice about how can I move my cat to UK (London)? BA charges 740 euro and Aegean around the same price. Any advices of how can I do this cheaper?

I can travel with the cat or ship it without me, as long as someone will be taking care of the cat.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
cy

Here it says Aegean charge Euro 40
http://en.aegeanair.com/travel-information/special-assistance/traveling-with-pet/

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Adelina_7

I checked that, first according to UK legislation pets can be shipped only at cargo, second the 80 rule applies only to flights in Europe EXCEPTING UK Sad

I was told by AEGEAN Cargo Customer service that it will cost me around 700e. The lady gave me a phone no in Larnaca for more details but no one picks up in Larnaca Sad

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
cy

Ah, I see Sad UK is a special case
So you need cheap cargo.... Sort of....
Maybe one of the removal companies know how to do it best? I would imagine they deal also with such inquiries.
Good luck.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
LynSab
Pictures: 1

Monarch airlines and Thomas Cook fly animals in the hold from larnaca to Gatwick ( animal centres in UK are Gatwick and Manchester )

I used a pet transporter to arrange everything, (like pet aways in the UK there's loads of them if you google ) then we booked ourselves onto the same flight once they'd booked the cats on...

My two cats flew to the UK in 2012, it was 650 for two then, and we flew with Monarch....I bought two airline approved carriers from the vet in paralimni and did all the necessary with pet passports....so extra for vaccinations and carriers...you don't need the final checkup by vets for cats the last few days any longer...or worming ..that's for dogs.

We took them to air freight in larnaca approx three hours before flight...they got xrayed in their carriers and the airfreight man in larnaca wasn't happy with the strength of the carriers and put plastic ties around the clips as well...the grilled fronts have to stay easy access in case....he also filled the water bowls again before they were loaded....all the paperwork was checked and we went to the departures...I never saw them again for over 8 hours and Manchester airport takes them off to the animal centre and checks all paperwork is correct ( that's why I'm glad to have used the pet transporters ) but many people do it totally themselves...so it's just me being paranoid...

I bought puppy liners for their carriers and sewed them inside old blankets to fit the floor of the carriers tightly, so they stayed in place...

They were fine at the other end, although a bit wide eyed and quiet...that was over 3 years ago, we've moved to Wales last November as well so more upset...but they've just taken in their stride...their coats are much thicker but apart from that, they're very happy Cyprus cats...

I hope that helps a little...btw look up the UK defra rules on pet transport into the UK and you know exactly what you're doing...

This is the one that was found as a tiny kitten who on her own and unable to see had the sense to cry very loudly until someone found her...she's now 8..

It's imperative you don't sedate them....I checked with an air hostess had they be put on the plane, the captain assured me they had.. Wink but he told me at 35,000 feet animals can react differently to sedation and wake up terrified not knowing where they are...so everyone stresses no sedatives...

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

If it's only 40 or 80 euros within Europe excluding UK why not fly to Amsterdam,Brussels or Paris and hop on the train.
Paul.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
If it's only 40 or 80 euros within Europe excluding UK why not fly to Amsterdam,Brussels or Paris and hop on the train.
Paul.

Firstly, what others have pointed out is right, if the UK is your destination their rules apply, and the link is on that Aegean page for UK rules.

And most airlines, including Aegean, have a rule that only one animal per passenger is allowed in the cabin, unless, in the case of cats, they can both sit happily into the same container which can be stowed under the seat and the combined weight of the cats and the container is not more than about 8 kg.

Regarding travelling with them on trains, ferries et cetera, it is wise to check what the current up to date rules are. They seem to change a lot. It used to be no problem to take pets on ferries but now most companies don't allow you to travel with pets as a foot passenger.

Rules apply to trains too ( Eurostar doesn't allow you to travel with pets at all apart from guide dogs ) so just make sure you know what the current situation is. Some info here ...
http://www.seat61.com/dogs-by-train.htm#.Vs6bGfBHmrU

I'm currently researching flying pets from Cyprus to southern Spain. It ain't simple. Not least of all because there are no direct flights to Spain from Cyprus, apart from to Barcelona during high season.

It was looking up the alternatives that brought to light all these different rules regarding travelling with pets on trains, coaches and ferries. There are also rules regarding how many pets you can travel with per human passenger accompanying them.

For long journeys involving stops in different countries switching between transports travelling with dogs is easier of course because you can take the dog out of a travel container and exercise it. This is not so easy with cats.

I am still looking into this, because the sheer cost of flying them to the UK and then from the UK is very high indeed. If I find out anything of interest I will post it.

There are pet exporters travel overland across Europe. I recently heard about animal charities who use them. But the last time I looked at shipping a single dog to the UK overland the cost was about three times what it was to fly them there! Obviously if they are shipping large numbers of animals the cost would come down - I was only enquiring about one dog.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

Monarch was mentioned - here are their current rules ...
http://www.monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/flying-with-children-and-pets/flying-with-animals
(Ryanair and EasyJet have stopped carrying pets.)

It's worth bearing in mind that the animal reception centre is where you will collect your pets at the other end are not open 24 hours a day. So you may not be able to collect your pet immediately.

Quote:
Animal reception centres - opening times

London Gatwick Animal Air Care

Monday to Friday: 06.00 22.00
Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays: 06.00 19.00
Manchester Pets On Jets

Monday to Friday: 05.00 22.00
Saturdays: 05.00 16.00
For further details, and to make all the necessary arrangements, please call 0845 680 9002.

The point about not sedating pets should by now be well known but surprisingly even some vets still suggest it.

Don't be too embarrassed to make a fuss to make sure someone has checked that your pets have been put in the hold before takeoff, I always do this now after British Airways forgot to load my dog. When I was making my complaint about it afterwards I was astonished at discovering just how many times it had happened!

I was lucky enough to be able to fly with my dog in the cabin with me on a flight from the UK in to Cyprus, but this was purely because the (then) Cyprus Airways had booked my dog onto a plane that was not suitable to carry livestock in the hold. No heating, the dog would have died had it been put on the plane.

They were not going to tell me, (their response to my initial fuss about them making sure my dog was on the plane was 'of course she is') once again I would've landed in Cyprus and found my dog was not here. They were just going to arrange to have her put on the next available flight which would've been the next day which would've meant my dog staying in her container for an inordinately long time and taken to an animal Centre overnight before going back to the airport (which is what happened the first time with BA)

I refused to board the plane without her, my suitcase was already in the hold, so they bent the rules and allowed her into the cabin.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
browney2653

Have you priced up Monarch airlines. I'll be flying my 2 dogs out next month with Monarch and on the same flight as myself and I found them to be the cheapest price (although still costs an arm and a leg, but they're worth it!) Going with organised carriers such as Petsair etc would have cost me much, much more!. Good luck

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Agape99

Try talking with the resue groups, they often get a good deal by flying a few animals together. BA fly animals to Gatwick.
Shipping your cat to the UK 
Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Bluenose2

Hi,

I am shipping my two cats and my dog to the UK in November from Larnaca to Heathrow via Easy Pet Exports, they are based in Lavidia and krissy and Chris have been brilliant.

Why not google the company and obtain a quote, they are very good.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Big Alas
Pictures: 2

Dear Adelina_7

I agree with Paul as two different friends of mine who left Cyprus and they found the costs to the UK with an animal unbelievably high and forget thinking about which airline might be cheaper as the are all hugely expensive.

They flew to Paris at a very cheap price, and then a friend met them in France and drove them back or like Paul suggests you could also consider the train.

In both cases, our friends were very happy.

I think it was about 40 euros for each animal and I believe it was Aegean.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Alan

Post: #13   PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
2diffs

I shipped 3 Cyprus poodles to Sri Lanka and then brought 2 of them back 2 years later.

The outwards trip was via Qatar and the dogs travelled as excess baggage. They were on our flights. The return trip was cargo via Dubai and the dogs were sent ahead to Dubai and then flew with us Qatar Larnaca.

For both trips the combined total cost of fares, agents and handling was less than 500 euros. In Dubai the dogs were fed and exercised by the Vetinerary agents.

UK Cargo and agents rates are definitely a rip off. Sounds like a nice cosy number.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
madmum

can also fly pets into heathrow who have a big animal reception cemtre. BA flys there and possibly others. 740 euro sounds like a lot to pay. we brought 4 cats and 3 dogs with BA heathrow to larnaca for just under 4000 including everything in october seems its cheaper to transport lots than a single pet. still expensive tho as friend quoted 800 euro for labrador size dog seeing as charge by the space crate takes up should by lot cheaper for 1 moggy in crate probably 1/3rd the size. this quote was with easypets
Shipping a cat to UK 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Shipping To / From Cyprus