Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Hobbies, Clubs & Learning » Beach fishing
Beach fishing 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Scott evans
Pictures: 0

Looking to do some beach or rock fishing could anybody tell me what I could target? As not sure about the species in these waters? Or baits to use. Cheers

Regards Scott Evans
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
bill
Pictures: 3
Location: nice n sunny cold at night oroklini on the mossie breeding grounds

where are u Scott
i want to learn beach fishing but tried on my own with no success i can think of plenty of ideal locations but lack the knohow

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

sorry the pic is sideways i adjusted it but i went one click more than needed
bill

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Scott evans

I'm based in protaras at the moment, just got here the other day so I'm still waiting on my rods to come and sort my gear out.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
bill

ok -- dont kno anywhere good around Protaras

the pic i added was at ormedia near larnaca but earlier this year 2 days after a bad storm and the nets at the fish farms in limassol broke -- the peeps there were pulling them out as fast as they cud cast -- i went back a couple of days later and the only thing i caught was a cold lol

bill who buys his fish at metro lol

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Scott evans

I think we could be moving down that way towards larnaca or just past towards Limassol for hopefully a better option of jobs, what were the fish that were being caught?

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
bill

Scott evans wrote:
I think we could be moving down that way towards larnaca or just past towards Limassol for hopefully a better option of jobs, what were the fish that were being caught?

tsupora and labraki from the netted fish farms near limassol
couple of days to get here in larnaca after a big storm

bill

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
bromerzz

In other words:
Sea Bream
and
Bass

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Scott evans

So is sea bream and sea bass very common in these waters?

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed
Pictures: 4

Scott evans wrote:
So is sea bream and sea bass very common in these waters?

Not from the beach, they use poles and light gear off rocks and catch a few mullet (using bread and a lot of small hooks), there are also a few small fish they catch in the same way, I was used to mackerel, doggies, bull huss, pollock and even conger, I couldn't get into the tiny stuff so gave up shore fishing when I came here to live,
My son and his mates used to fish a lot with florescent jigs at night and got a good many squid, in and around February there used to be a sort of barracuda type fish coming in but I never caught or tried to eat them.

Good Luck & Tight Lines! Very Happy
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Scott evans

Is there anybody that does bass or rock fishing around protaras, I'll be getting my fishing gear by next week so I'll be hoping to get out then as well, looking for someone to show a few spots if possible! I've heRd Cape Greco is good!

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
adyandkaren
Pictures: 23

Sorry for the long post, but it may help Smile

We're no experts by any means, but do a bit of fishing from the rocks around Kapparis/Protaras/Ayia Napa areas when we are over in Cyprus. We seem to about keep up with the local fishermen in terms of size and quantity caught, and sometimes better, so must be doing something right.

The local fishermen almost exclusively use poles and very light tackle. This is fine in the summer when the sea is still, but not so easy when the sea is rough, so probably best then to use the rod - we have both.

They also tend to employ a different hook technique to us. Typically they will use a large treble tied below a smaller treble which is baited. I would describe the technique as snag fishing which I really don't like, but they are mostly fishing for food, whereas we tend to mostly catch and release so use a single barbless hook, typically ~size 14 (this is from memory). They also use a technique as described by Byker above where they wrap dozens of small tied hooks in and around a ball of bread which is cast out by rod and reel.

Baitwise, we find that bread works as well as anything. We were told that we wouldn't catch anything on bread and to use the powdered stuff that you can get from the tackle shops. It's really what I'd call groundbait which is mixed with water and kneaded into a thick dough - the same as we do with the bread. We sometimes use this instead, but it seems (to us) no better.

From the rocks, it is nearly always only ever small fish as already said above. A common one we catch in summer is called kourkounes. I tried to find a picture but found a video on youtube
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

. Watch closely how he handles it as it's spines are VERY painful if they get you. I found out the hard way. Note that the one he has is on the larger side. These seem greatly prized for food, but having tried them we weren't overly impressed.

We did catch several of the escaped gilt head sea bream (tsippoura) that bill mentioned above which had escaped from a fish farm. We caught decent (meal) sized ones on prawn in February around the Larnaca area from the rocks. We have never caught a "wild" one, or a bream though.

The next most common fish we catch are small wrasse, I think they are called ornate wrasse. We have also caught a few of what the Cypriots call "rabbit fish" - we would call them puffers, up to ~2lb but they are non indigenous to Cyprus waters so returning them to the water is actively discouraged.

We have tried putting a bomb on and casting out a distance from the shore, but never had any success from this other than the tsippoura above, but they were just as easy to catch on the pole.

We have never caught much (anything?) at Greko, but if you look at the areas where the locals are fishing then that'll probably give you a good idea of the type of place to look for. Be prepared for company if you start catching though - bit like in bills photo - that could have been us with the tsippoura lol

Again, we aren't experts - far from it, but I hope this helps a little - and enjoy Smile

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:08 am Reply with quote
Scott evans

That info is great, I won't be going out and doing pole fishing as I've never done it before, but when using the bread are you just float fishing? As I guessing there won't be many bottom feeders? I'll also be trying spinning, but the advice about the hooks I will be getting to try. Thanks

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
SRushElec
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Great info. Now I know why I lose so many fish using a single hook.

Beach fishing 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Hobbies, Clubs & Learning