Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » Advice please
Advice please 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
cladyon
Pictures: 0

We are going to pick up a Huskey from a rescue center tomorrow. The problem is we have five cats, & I have just read an article about the breed stating although they have a lovely nature toward people they WILL kill cats, rabbits, birds & small mammals. Now I am very worried. Has anyone had experience of this breed?

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
allsorts

my friend's got a huskey and a cat but the huskey is only young i think it will depend upon the age of the dog you are getting
sammi
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
aussie

I have had huskies in the past and i agree they can be quite cruel to other animals, how old is the huskie as bad habits die hard
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:24 am Reply with quote
cladyon

They reckon he is about 18 months old.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quote
bill
Pictures: 3
Location: nice n sunny cold at night oroklini on the mossie breeding grounds

I had a three year old Samoyed ( a member of the husky family ~) from the Rspca many years ago and it fitted in well with our two cats .

The initial problem wasn't with the dog it was with the cats -- they were very aggressive towards the newcomer to their previously sole domain.

Things settled down after a couple of weeks to a nervous truce between them and about two months later I woke up early one morning and found the cats had deserted their basket and were both sleeping between the dogs legs.

They lived in perfect harmony after.

I think it's going to be very much a "suck it and see situation" -- it doesn't really matter what kind of dog it is as it will either get on with your cats or not -- only time will tell .

Bill
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
cladyon

Thanks to everyone for your help. We did bring him home. The first thing he did when he walked in the gate was to chase the cat, luckily we kept him on a lead. Then he fell into the pool. I'm all for letting dogs & cats sort themselves out cos 9 out of 10 times the cat wins, after what I read I don't want to take a chance on him doing any real harm. He is definately a greek dog. Totaly ignores your voice. will have to do a lot of training as he doesn't even know what a lead is. good job I have plenty of time on my hands. Whatch this space Rolling Eyes [/img]

Advice please 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus