Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues » Bank of Cyprus Loan wording
Bank of Cyprus Loan wording 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
No4
Pictures: 0

Hi all.
I'm looking at my loan application for a house i bought back in 2007 and although it states that a grace period of 24month will be applied on interest and capital for the repayment of the loan interest was added to the loan over this 2 year period.
The loan doesn't state anywhere that interest will be applied over this 2 year period.

Is this something i could challenge the bank with a lawyer and attempt to recoup some of the interest added to the loan over the 2 years?

Thoughts from professionals welcomed.
Regards.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: Bank of Cyprus Loan wording 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
devil
Pictures: 1

No4 wrote:

The loan doesn't state anywhere that interest will be applied over this 2 year period.

Does it state that interest will not be applied? I'm not an expert but it would seem to me normal that interest would be applied during the grace period to be accounted at the end thereof.

You can try contesting this yourself with your banker, but you would lose many shekels if you tried to contest it through a lawyer, especially if the contract stated something like a start date for the loan AND interest.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
baileyboy

Agree with Devil. Ask your bank for a full explanation as to why they have applied interest during the grace period. The agreement might be a bit confusing as the small print can often be miss read. It could be that the bank will allow you one month's payment holiday during the first year but this month's payment will still be collected by the bank, say at the end of the mortgage.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Bank 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
emanon

Hello

From my bitter experience, it would be wise to have the contract looked at in great depth, and bear in mind that 'nothing is free' especially in Cyprus. I would assume that the interest will rolled up to the loan.

Happily, I can advise that the manager of the Makrasaka Co-op bank in Larnaca has left -was it something I said?!! Wink
Re: Bank of Cyprus Loan wording 
Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
pantheman

No4 wrote:
Hi all.
I'm looking at my loan application for a house i bought back in 2007 and although it states that a grace period of 24month will be applied on interest and capital for the repayment of the loan interest was added to the loan over this 2 year period.

Is this something i could challenge the bank with a lawyer and attempt to recoup some of the interest added to the loan over the 2 years?

Thoughts from professionals welcomed.
Regards.

Regardless of wording, it is implied that the interest will be added. They are there to make money. They don't care about you or me. The offer of the grace period is to make it a little easier for some people in times of hardship but the interest is always payable.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Dave B

Something similar happened to us with a 2007 loan. I went to see my lawyer and she took me to the Greek small print which she translated as "regardless of the above agreement Bank Of Cyprus can amend any part of the agreement without my consent". I paid up the loan and walked away. Although I still use BOC I would never borrow from them again or indeed deposit any large sum.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues