Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Gadget & Techie Corner » English tv channels
English tv channels 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
lewis
Pictures: 0

Hi
What is the best way to receive english tv channels in my apartment
Need to view on tv not computer
Rough idea of what is involved and the cost to install
Not savvy myself with tech
The complex can get a wifi signal although I don't have a router etc in the apartment
Paralmni area
Thanks
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

You will need some type of computer of some sort (e.g. laptop. Raspberry Pi, Android tablet/box) to connect to the TV to watch programmes.

You will also need a method of obtaining a signal for the computer to receive programmes.

Is the wi-fi signal received in the complex encoded, or is it available to all residents who are given a password?

Will it give you a sufficient bandwidth to watch TV?

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
lewis

Kwacka wrote:
You will need some type of computer of some sort (e.g. laptop. Raspberry Pi, Android tablet/box) to connect to the TV to watch programmes.

You will also need a method of obtaining a signal for the computer to receive programmes.

Is the wi-fi signal received in the complex encoded, or is it available to all residents who are given a password?

Will it give you a sufficient bandwidth to watch TV?

Wi-fi is available with a password don't have a laptop ect would I need to buy some kind of box or router to receive channels
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
geof j
Pictures: 2

OK, i have a cytanet connection, that gives me the internet connection i required (i do not have the phone link to save money)it is 3 meg.
so i watch filmon. you can record 1 hour, bot i subscribe which gives me 10 extra hours recording, which i watch the following day, and continue to record
a further 10 hours, just as good as iplayer,....if anyone can give me info on iplayer or tv catchup for free, it would be gratefully appreciated.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

You'll need a VPN, which is a program that cons the BBC into thinking that your connection originates in the UK instead of Cyprus

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:28 am Reply with quote
bubblechris

For a vpn try hola which is free and works very well for me in the UK.

The beauty of it is it can be limited to say just chrome and not the whole computer. Excellent in the UK because bbc and itv iplayers won't let you use them.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Dave B

VPN's slow down TV streaming considerably. If you have your own router a geo-unlocator is better and cheaper as that does not slow TV streaming.

Sharing a communal wi-fi signal may be very problematic depending on bandwidth and other users.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Gadget & Techie Corner