Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » finding school
finding school 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
madmum
Pictures: 0

after paying registration, taking tests back in august thought my daughter was all set to start at xenion now we have finally moved,
appreciate its been a long delay and at the time did intend her starting in september,

so now been told there is no spaces in her class and will get refund.

she was 11 in december does not speak greek, told by friend she will soon learn in state school but not sure,

only other private school i know of is in larnaca and until get money from house sale in england only have very old car which i wouldnt rely on getting there daily

any suggestions of nearer schools?? currently in ayia napa and hopefully moving to protaras in next month so anywhere reasonably near this area
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Hi - the only two schools that teach in English that are nearer are a
primary & secondary school at Dhekalia and a primary at Ayios Nic.
These are schools on the bases and are fee paying - the price being
more expensive than Cypriot run schools.

Other than that and Xenion then it's state schools - there is a high
school in Agia Napa and other ones in the various villages.

HTH

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
madmum

Steve - SJD wrote:
Hi - the only two schools that teach in English that are nearer are a
primary & secondary school at Dhekalia and a primary at Ayios Nic.
These are schools on the bases and are fee paying - the price being
more expensive than Cypriot run schools.

Other than that and Xenion then it's state schools - there is a high
school in Agia Napa and other ones in the various villages.

HTH

Cheers

Steve

Thanks have emailed the Ayios Nic school but didnt realise fees were more expensive than cyprus private schools and found somewhere they have english term times. no 10 weeks off in summer. been trying to find state schools in paralimni this afternoon. saw directions for 1 as up hill towards orphanides which is now metro. past church then turn left and 2nd on left. but ended up on estate of old type houses. did find 1 school actually on main road past metro and church looks ok but no idea if for her age. got reply from American Academy they have no spaces but sent application form for september. But reading about it dont think suitable as have to actually pass entrance exams. results from xenion exams put her as below cyprus standard. Med High sounding better, have applied & getting back to me tomorrow.

Latest idea is if no spaces could enrol for september and get her in local school till then. maybe if she gets on ok once made friends she wont want to move. saving me lots of money and a drive to larnaca.

Was speaking to english lady on dog beach who told me i was mad spending money and her friends daughter the same age had gone to state school, was put in a lower year and in 6 months had caught up. but didnt go into it as she had her xenion place or so i thought. never imagined a school would enrol you, take payments then say no longer had the space

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:37 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

madmum wrote:
Thanks have emailed the Ayios Nic school but didnt realise fees were more expensive than cyprus private schools and found somewhere they have english term times. no 10 weeks off in summer.

Yep - there are some restrictions on what they are allowed to charge.
The Ayios Nic school is a primary so you may need the high school
which is King Richard at Dhekalia.

My daughters went to both and the only complaint I had was the price
and how it increased whilst we were using them. Liked the schools and
facilities and the girls were happy there.

madmum wrote:
did find 1 school actually on main road past metro and church looks ok but no idea if for her age.

Think that is a primary and some of the schools have boundry limits
where you have to live within a certain area.

madmum wrote:
never imagined a school would enrol you, take payments then say no longer had the space

There is only a limited number of places/schools and the sought after
ones will be in demand.

Cheers

Steve

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
madmum

Steve - SJD wrote:
madmum wrote:
Thanks have emailed the Ayios Nic school but didnt realise fees were more expensive than cyprus private schools and found somewhere they have english term times. no 10 weeks off in summer.

Yep - there are some restrictions on what they are allowed to charge.
The Ayios Nic school is a primary so you may need the high school
which is King Richard at Dhekalia.

My daughters went to both and the only complaint I had was the price
and how it increased whilst we were using them. Liked the schools and
facilities and the girls were happy there.

madmum wrote:
did find 1 school actually on main road past metro and church looks ok but no idea if for her age.

Think that is a primary and some of the schools have boundry limits
where you have to live within a certain area.

madmum wrote:
never imagined a school would enrol you, take payments then say no longer had the space

There is only a limited number of places/schools and the sought after
ones will be in demand.

Cheers

Steve

well got fast reply from med high. they say she has to sit an entrance exam which costs 60. no info on fees or if have space tho

how did your children get on with not having the same holiday times as local kids. know my daughter would be moaning when makes friends where we live and they all have 10 weeks in summer

So looking like will arrange to sit exam at MedHigh was considering Ay Niks but Med say will be in yr 6 not 5 as xenion said. so would have to move to Dhekelia in september so once on motorway not much difference going to larnaca

plus on our 1 trip to Ay Nik it took ages so from protaras to larnaca probably no worse a journey

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
madmum

well she's starting at Med High tomorrow. seems a lot friendlier than xenion. but not as impressive as their new state of the art modern building.
And working out expensive. fees are 6000 a year which seems to be average. she is very happy with it and will probably suit her better as she has ADHD which xenion were ok with but have no special needs department. Med High do and is a good thing as i was surprised there is 25 in a class. but classroom assistant will work in group of about 3.
well was impressed till told would be an extra 900 euro a year for this.

spent 250 euro today on uniform. well did get the summer uniform as well and 2 of everything.
not bought books yet either.
finding school 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools